Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can anyone identify the purpose of this connector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 02:52 PM
johnnym3z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone identify the purpose of this connector?

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been having issues with my tri-gauges since I got my ‘04 350z roadster and the nav screen has never worked. I took apart the waterfall, disconnected both of the plugs connecting the tri-gauge pod at the top and on the twist of a key, my nav screen came to life!

Through various tests, I’ve figured out that only one of the connectors seems to power and control all the gauges, while the other one does nothing. However, when I plug the “useless” connector in, my nav screen goes dead again.

Please see photos if it helps and let me know if you have any clue what this connector does. Is it worth running with that one unplugged to have the nav screen work or does it perform some important function that I’m not yet aware of?

TIA!

Pointing at the connector that kills my nav screen.

Said connector plugs into here.

Also, do we have any idea what this ribbon does? I figure it’s likely linked to the issue as well given that it connects right next to the plug for the “useless” connector, and it seems to be pretty badly corroded so maybe this is what’s really causing my issue?? I don’t know anymore…

I’ve never posted online for anything before because there’s always been so much existing info out there already but this one has really stumped me :/
Old 07-23-2024, 04:54 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,091 Likes on 773 Posts

I'm not sure about the "useless connector" behind the triple gauge cluster. It might plug into something, or it might not. I think manufacturers will install a lot of universal wiring in vehicles and some connections are left unplugged based on different model options (nav, premium audio, etc.).

As far as the ribbon cable, that is very important as it is responsible for climate control. There are many instances of people crimping or damaging that ribbon cable during stereo installs and then their climate controls get messed up like the A/C on full blast and the inability to turn it off. I think a lot of other functions are also routed through that white box.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Someone12132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that "useless connector" does connect to the nav screen. It doesn't connect to the screen itself, but it instead connects to the buttons that control the navigation system. I have a '04 350z Roadster as well, and for me, leaving that disconnected prevents the navigation screen from turning on. I'm pretty sure if you leave that disconnected, it won't affect your drivability with the car.