Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I Need Advice on Best Mods for Daily Driver 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:55 PM
priyash22

Default I Need Advice on Best Mods for Daily Driver 350Z

Hello there,

I recently picked up a 2007 Nissan 350Z Touring and I am loving every minute behind the wheel! I use it as my daily driver; and while I’m already impressed with its performance; I am looking to enhance it a bit more without sacrificing too much comfort; since I am on the road quite a lot for work.

I have been doing some research, but with the wealth of information out there; I would really appreciate some advice from experienced 350Z owners on the best mods for balancing performance and daily drivability. I want something with a deeper tone that is not too loud or droney on the highway.

I would like to lower the car slightly for better handling; but I do not want a super harsh ride. Any suggestions on coilovers or other suspension setups that balance performance and comfort?

Also; I have gone through this post; https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/597582-advice-about-blue-prism-mods-and-daily-driving.html which definitely helped me out a lot.

I have read that ECU tuning can unlock some extra power; but is it worth it for a daily driver? Any recommendations on reliable tuners or chips?
I live in an area with a lot of rain; so any advice on high performance all season tires would be awesome.

Also; any tips for regular maintenance or smaller; less expensive mods that can improve the driving experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.
Old 10-07-2024 | 05:08 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by priyash22
Hello there,

I recently picked up a 2007 Nissan 350Z Touring and I am loving every minute behind the wheel! I use it as my daily driver; and while I’m already impressed with its performance; I am looking to enhance it a bit more without sacrificing too much comfort; since I am on the road quite a lot for work.

I have been doing some research, but with the wealth of information out there; I would really appreciate some advice from experienced 350Z owners on the best mods for balancing performance and daily drivability. I want something with a deeper tone that is not too loud or droney on the highway.

I would like to lower the car slightly for better handling; but I do not want a super harsh ride. Any suggestions on coilovers or other suspension setups that balance performance and comfort?

Also; I have gone through this post; https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/597582-advice-about-blue-prism-mods-and-daily-driving.html which definitely helped me out a lot.

I have read that ECU tuning can unlock some extra power; but is it worth it for a daily driver? Any recommendations on reliable tuners or chips?
I live in an area with a lot of rain; so any advice on high performance all season tires would be awesome.

Also; any tips for regular maintenance or smaller; less expensive mods that can improve the driving experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.
Regarding exhaust noise, if you want something louder than enhances the VQ sound, the following are fairly tame and slightly louder without significant drone (not even sure if these are available anymore. probably. stay away from single exits):

Borla true dual catback
Stillen dual
Invidia Gemini
Fujitsubo Legalis
Nismo S-tune

Improving handling does not require coilovers. Coilovers are really for the track. Completely unnecessary for DD. If you want a slight drop to improve handling, get some progressive rate lowering springs with similar specs to OEM. Pair those with a reputable shock/strut like Bilstein B8 which are designed for lowered cars. Add some adjustable front/rear sway bars for some added adjustability.

If you're going down the rabbit hole of adding bolt-ons (intake, TB, headers, etc.), the only way to maximize gains is to get it tuned. Go with UpRev. Get it tuned on an actual Dyno and don't do a mail-in or some type of remote flash. If you're not planning on getting it tuned, there's no need to add "breather mods."

Mic's "driver mod." Register for driving school.
Old 10-07-2024 | 02:41 PM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If you're going down the rabbit hole of adding bolt-ons (intake, TB, headers, etc.), the only way to maximize gains is to get it tuned. Go with UpRev. Get it tuned on an actual Dyno and don't do a mail-in or some type of remote flash. If you're not planning on getting it tuned, there's no need to add "breather mods."
I agree that a 1 time mail in flash doesn't compare to a proper tune at all, but for simple bolt on mods or a stock car remote tuning--based on multiple logs that you record while driving--- is an excellent option for MOST daily drivers. As long as the guy doing the remote tuning knows what they're doing (I do) it will be VERY close to an in person dyno tune at a much better price and I've seen many instances where the etune was actually better than a dyno tune from a guy who didn't know the Uprev software or modern Nissans.
Old 10-07-2024 | 08:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Regarding exhaust noise, if you want something louder than enhances the VQ sound, the following are fairly tame and slightly louder without significant drone (not even sure if these are available anymore. probably. stay away from single exits):

Borla true dual catback
Stillen dual
Invidia Gemini
Fujitsubo Legalis
Nismo S-tune

Improving handling does not require coilovers. Coilovers are really for the track. Completely unnecessary for DD. If you want a slight drop to improve handling, get some progressive rate lowering springs with similar specs to OEM. Pair those with a reputable shock/strut like Bilstein B8 which are designed for lowered cars. Add some adjustable front/rear sway bars for some added adjustability.

Mic's "driver mod." Register for driving school.
I'll start at the end of the comments above.

Nope, I don't bother ever mentioning driver's school anymore because everyone already thinks they're a good driver and most are infatuated with hardware (springs, exhaust) over software (driver talent). I mean, in the 10+ years on this forum and making it an early habit to always start recommendations with "Driver's school", not a single person has listened to the VOE so I've given up on that. At times, I so want to tell people that all the hardware in the world isn't going to help when they don't understand how/when to brake, downshift/revmatch, trail brake, turn in all simultaneously and they just end up going off the road anyways. But I won't.

I'm all for the stuff mentioned in the OP and in the follow up but, will put things in an order that is proven.

You want to make your car handle better and be more fun to drive?

TIRES first (and optionally, lighter, stiffer wheels). Always. Nothing improves a car's handling more than tires (and a good set of strong, lightweight wheels). And, the right way to go about modifying suspension is to tune around/to the tires. Ask any racer. They'll tell you that suspension settings will vary when tuning for slicks versus, say, 200TW DOT legals, or for a full tread UTQG 300 street tire. In OP's case, would recommend a good set of high perf all seasons, something along the lines of a Conti DWS06, Michelin PS4. Pretty amazing, these tires. (Yes, have experience with both but not on my Zs as they all always wore Max Per summer tires year round. (Currently have a set of DWS06s on my SL55. No fear putting down the power in the wet.)

First hardware recommendation: Adjustable sway bars. A less rolling (lean) chassis is a happy chassis and it helps to keep the tires planted properly. Plus, they give you the ability to start tuning your suspension to suit your style of driving. (Preferences on over, under, neutral steer, etc.)

Then, and only then, adjustable alignment components (front upper control arms, rear camber arms/toe bushings) which, to be efficient and doing it once, be combined with shocks and springs if you opt to go that route. No mention of the mileage or type of shocks on the car now but figure on 50k being the limit of stock shock life. Notice I mention adjustable components first. That's so you can align the car to your use and to do it right, you have to treat all three components (CCT - camber, caster, toe) together to achieve the best handling. One changes with the other so being able to independently adjust them will keep your tires happy.

Once that's all done, then you can go about getting the sound right. Note I didn't say "improve engine performance". All of the catback setups that Heel mentioned are great looking and the sound is great. But performance - especially without the tune - well, don't expect a kick in the backside. A few net ponies is always nice but of all the Zs I've owned and/or driven over the years, not a single exhausted car had any more (or not that much) extra feel to it. You want real power gains, FI. Period.

Tuning, yes. That's all I'll add to the conversation as Ive only had one of my Zs e-tuned and it wasn't a 33. But will say this, there IS a difference. BTW. Seymore is the go-to guy here on my350Z for UpRev tuning. (I'm sure there are others (bealljk comes to mind) conversant and knowledgable but he always turns up in the tuning threads. Haha.)

And yes, all of this is good but even better after driving school. ;

Old 10-07-2024 | 09:06 PM
DarkZ03

Tires > wheels > sway bars > springs/dampers.
Old 10-08-2024 | 04:56 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Tires > wheels > sway bars > springs/dampers.
Knew I coulda saved a buncha time. 🤣 Thanks, Dark.