2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Considering Trading my Z for an X

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 07:36 PM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Trading my Z for an X

Heya Guys I need your opinion here.

How does a ’03 Z stack up against a 95 NSX-T.

I recently got bitten by the NSX bug. While I refuse to mod my Z – b/c it performs so excellently – I’m toying with the isea of getting an NSX throwing the WW bodykit and some sweet wheels on her.

My neighbor has a 91, I’m yet to drive it – been too wet in SD lately.

How do they compare? The Z weighs ~200lbs more but has a 17HP and 50 lb/ft advantage.

I keep hearing Nsxs are all about handling w/ their MR balance. Well I’ve gotten rather handy with the Z’s easily controllable oversteer with VDC off (plus the security of having VDC).

I know the NSX looks great – but I worry that its simply 15 year old technology getting clobbered my the “Young Gun”.

Whaddya think? How do they match up?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:46 PM
dchengmd

The NSX-T is decently fast and will give a stock Z a run for its money. Also, the handling is impeccable.

The technology may be 'old' per se, but that technology has withstood the test of time - which is why Honda has kept the basic design of the NSX the same after all these years. It's a superb car. If you can get one for a decent price and it's in good condition, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:03 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt.

first off, comparing the 2 is a close comparison in every category. the problem is one is 9years old.

I fail to see the great benefit the NSX offers, its biggest advantage is an 8000rpm redline. other than that, it loses in most all categories including reliability, and closely associated with it, cost of parts.

the technology was revolutionary 9years ago(I beleive the design is actually 11 or 12yo) but now today, youll see many of its revolutionary features are standard on even the Z. such as its aluminum suspension, and the dutonium or whatever it is, coated pistons.

it is a 35-40k car if it were built today, it sells used for what it should cost new.

my 2cents.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:08 PM
psteng19

NSX will beat a Z in a track or straight line I think.

The rarity of an NSX is what makes it more exotic and desirable.
That along with the high price tag to begin with.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:16 PM
NoExcuses

are we talking cash or a note? If it was cash...I dont think i'd have any problems with the nsx. but no body kits please. The only thing id do is try to find some fixed headlight conversion.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:36 PM
qirex

Originally posted by NoExcuses
are we talking cash or a note? If it was cash...I dont think i'd have any problems with the nsx. but no body kits please. The only thing id do is try to find some fixed headlight conversion.
I prolly would leave the rear spoiler stock, but I like the WW kit...

Old 02-27-2004, 10:45 PM
qirex

like this...

Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 PM
R.J._Vancouver

I was in this situation. Before I bought my Z, I wanted an NSX.
I was looking at a Sebring silver `92. it was about 4000 cheaper than my Z.
I definately agree with what ARES said. In `92 it was cutting edge technology, today, most performance cars come with more.
Most car mags agree that the look has become dated and it is in need of a remake, which I believe is coming in the next few years.
Plus the idea of driving around thinking that if something went wrong with a 12 year old exotic, it would cost me big bucks to have it fixed kinda spooked me.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:26 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally posted by R.J._Vancouver
I was in this situation. Before I bought my Z, I wanted an NSX.
I was looking at a Sebring silver `92. it was about 4000 cheaper than my Z.
I definately agree with what ARES said. In `92 it was cutting edge technology, today, most performance cars come with more.
Most car mags agree that the look has become dated and it is in need of a remake, which I believe is coming in the next few years.
Plus the idea of driving around thinking that if something went wrong with a 12 year old exotic, it would cost me big bucks to have it fixed kinda spooked me.
Agree. When I was considering selling my '90 TT Z... I fantically looked at the options.. buying a new Z and modding it --- or

1/ NSX... used.. nice design and excellent handling.. but long in the tooth.. still pricey....and old technology..
2/ last generation RX-7... 2002... very close decision .. have loved the design of one of the most beautiful "pure" sports car designs... but wanted something with newer technology... (hmmmm)
3/ used or last generation R34 GT-R... this is still a toss-up (and sometimes regret) of whether I should have bought my dream car -- but wanted something new.. and the GT-R had its problems as well (heavy being one)... but loved the design .... ??? ..RRRRR
Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Hupperware

Giving up a warranty for a repair bill... seems silly to me...
Old 02-28-2004, 10:34 AM
NzZ

Default Re: Considering Trading my Z for an X

The NSX was awesome in its day...but its appearance is really dated now - esp since acura has redone the front end. Furthermore, the performance is not that impressive for something so expensive. And repair bills for NSXs of any age are pretty much house payments.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the NSX..but I'd only buy a new one and even then only if it was $45k. It's never been worth the asking price, which is why 911s, M3s, vettes, etc. have always massively outsold it. The NSX's rarity has been its main selling point. Pretty much the opposite of the Z which is too damn common but such a great deal that people can't pass it up. ;-)

NzZ
Old 02-28-2004, 12:50 PM
erock

Heres my reply

scroll down half way, plenty of pix too.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:01 PM
perucho

erock, still trying to convince people I see
Old 02-28-2004, 06:32 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having two friends that own NSX's, I can give you some perspective on them. They are great cars, no doubt about that. My bigest problem with them is maintenance is very expensive and since your talking about a 10+ year old car, they need a lot of maintenance. Things like $2000 clutch replacements and $1200 dollar timing belt replacements are tough to swallow. And heaven forbid you ever damage one of the aluminum body panels. They cost about 10 times more than a regular steel one.

Bottom line, nice car, expensive to own.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Montez

Yeah as amnay have said the age of the car is the issue, but design wise sorry to say the NSX looks better than the 350 despite its age. It just has that exotic car look to it which it sort of is.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:37 AM
KrazY-2K

NSX's are sweet cars, but I agree they are pretty dated. As for the looks debate, I hate the privilege of a silver NSX (fixed headlight model, not sure what year it was) parking almost next to my Z at a restaraunt. Most of the family was there since I followed my parents to the diner. Comparing looks, all of the family (even the non-enthusiasts, which is most of my fam) thought the Z looked much nicer. We scoped out the interior of the NSX as well, which wasn't too impressive. Needless to say, I still love them
Old 02-29-2004, 10:56 AM
KrazY-2K

Default correction!

Woops, instead of putting had I spelled hate, my bad.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:39 PM
erock

Originally posted by perucho
erock, still trying to convince people I see
Who me?!?!?!?! :angel:
Old 02-29-2004, 05:04 PM
azjimbo

I always have loved the NSX.Before I bought the Z I also looked into a used NSX.Just can't reason to pay the same or more for a used car for the same price of a new Z.I still say the Z has the best "bang for the buck" on the market today.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:50 PM
qirex

Yeah..Im pretty much gonna wait until the next gen X.

Heres one for you guys however...would you rather have a new Z or a used 93-95 porsche 911?

How much does the porsche badge cost?

It really is a testament to nissan that we can compare these unlikely competitors.
Personally, I'm totally satisfied by my Z - rather I think *SPOILED* is the word.

Yes, I can have a 290HP sports car that looks great, handles even better and costs...$35K - yet ppl get used to it and complain.

After having my Z for more than 18 months I can easily say that despite the lack of a TT setup, the Z33 is a really awesome piece of work. The word is all about Balance....did I mention the Z is an incredible "drift car"?