Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static electricity everytime i get out of my Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:16 AM
n8vz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Static electricity everytime i get out of my Z

Anyone else have similar problems? it seems that everytime i get out of my Z, i get zapped by static electricity when i try to close the door by touching the door handle? could it be the factory floor mats?

thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 11:25 AM
350black

I get it too, really bad every time that I try and close the door.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:37 AM
DiRN

I read on here somewhere that waxing the car helps get rid of the static outside the car that attracts dust and whatnot. Perhaps it helps with this too.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 AM
mgk65

It happens to me too.

It's because you slide your butt out of the seat, initating the static buildup.

If it really bothers you, spray your seat with some staticguard spray.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it too. I noticed that it seems be a problem not only with exiting the car but with the car itself. Usually after I wax the car and then drive it, the rear bumper cover and rocker panels are completely covered in dust with very clear line as to where the static charge ends. If I use a duster to remove the dust you can hear the static crackling. The thing that you really need to be careful of is if you are getting out of the car to get gas. Make certain that you discharge the static BEFORE pumping gas. If that static discharges near the fuel filler, you run a great risk of starting a file depending on how big the static charge.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:48 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get this too....Thought it was because of the dry winter air, but I guess in So. Cal., that wouldn't be the case....I'm going to take a guess that n8vz and 350black, you are on the Bridgestone RE040's, right?

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago (years...had nothing to do with the Z) that there was some type of recall for a tire because the compound used to make the tire was lacking some conductive element that would allow the car to discharge static through the tires. People were getting the holy bejesus shocked out of them...to the point that they were complaining to their dealership/manufacturer....For some reason I recall this being related to Ford.

A major source of static electricity is plain old friction between air and the car.

Ok, back to my crack pipe.....
Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Sr. Panza

Well, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one with this problem. I have to remember to use the window to close the door and not the handle so as not to get shocked. I would imagine it is the cloth seats as someone mentioned above. The thing is the static seems to stay with me even when i'm away from the car.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:12 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kcobean - Yeah, now that you mention it, that does vaguely ring a bell. I am riding on Falken FK451s though and I still have the problem.

Sr. Panza - The static will stay with you for a long time unless you ground your self on something. (Usually when you least expect it and then you utter some curse words and everyone looks at you like "What's his problem?")
Old 03-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Happens alot when humidity is low.

Bat™
Old 03-01-2004, 12:22 PM
mpowers

Yes I to have experinced this and now I have made a game out of who gets shocked first the dog or the wife. The dog wins most the time, since he greets me at the car. He runs up ZAP and runs off.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
jedoublery

Oh be a man! Little charges like that don't bother me at all, I am tough!

(Make sure you hold and touch the metal part of your key, then discharge yourself with the outside metal door handle by touching it with the tip of the key, this way you don't feel the pain at all )
Old 03-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Montez

Originally posted by teh215
I have it too. I noticed that it seems be a problem not only with exiting the car but with the car itself. Usually after I wax the car and then drive it, the rear bumper cover and rocker panels are completely covered in dust with very clear line as to where the static charge ends. If I use a duster to remove the dust you can hear the static crackling. The thing that you really need to be careful of is if you are getting out of the car to get gas. Make certain that you discharge the static BEFORE pumping gas. If that static discharges near the fuel filler, you run a great risk of starting a file depending on how big the static charge.
Myself and a few others were having the same problem and I did'nt know what to do about it on my 03 Max and 350 until the other day. The Mequiers Qucik Detail spray stopped the static along with a nice shine, my problem was in the same area your is the lower side portions of the car and the rear bumper area.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=62704
Old 03-01-2004, 02:17 PM
ColecatZ

It is directly related to your tires. The static gets worse the more they feather too. certain compounds will generate more static than others. Nissan is picking up the tab on a set of fronts due to feathering and I've been driving on mine now for 13k miles waiting on the tires to come in (backordered) and the car nearly drops me when I go to close the door, the charge is getting pretty strong. I now close the door using the glass and not the metal door.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:10 PM
MuggeZ

i just got the car last week and everytime i get out i get shocked touching the handle so now i just hold the edge of the window to close the door.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:44 PM
I-Speed GC8

I had this same problem with my car as well. For a while i would have to ground myself using my key up against the side of the door. It would discharge the static but sometimes it would let out a loud snap and i could see the arch when it was at night. Also avoiding touching the door just delays the inevitable, because you are going to come into contact with a grounded metal object like a door handle or something. This static shock therapy lasted for a good couple months until i figured out it was my shoes. Every time i wore a certain pair of shoes i have i would get shocked. So i stopped wearing them and i didnt get shocked anymore. You guys should try not wearing the shoes you wear the most. See if it works good luck.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:51 PM
grifferjr

yeah i get shocked also. never really thought much about it. dont think i will sacrifice what types of shoes that i wear cause i think i have noticed it no matter what i was wearing. heck half the fun is watchign the passenger get out and get shocked from being shocked. at least i know its coming.

it also kind of helps in the morning at work. kind of an extra kick in the ding ding to wake ya up to face the day. almost as good as a stiff cup-o-joe
Old 03-01-2004, 05:49 PM
n8vz

Wow.. and i thought i was the only one. My old family Chevy Van had a little rubber stip in the rear bumper that was suppose to discharge static by "grounding" with the road. But it would looks too cheezy on my Z
Old 03-01-2004, 06:01 PM
n8vz

saw the on the web, "Static Release Antenna" Does it work?

http://www.intakeone.com/Exterior/EX...leAntenna.html
Old 03-01-2004, 06:09 PM
cusdaddy

My Z shocks be pretty badly every time I get out. I am running the car on Blizzak's, so I doubt it's the tires. I think it's a combination of the cold dry air mixed with the static built up by moving across the cloth seats. I usually hold my key and touch the car door with the key, or let my leg hit the car, as my pants numb the pain.

This car gives me the worst shocks I ever had with a car
Old 03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I get shocked even when i grab the glass. I am scared to gass up sometimes.

Quick Reply: Static electricity everytime i get out of my Z