Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z on Upcoming MotorWeek

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:19 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No it was vs a G35c (Skyline). The RX8 got spanked by the Skyline, S2000, STI and some other car I forget. The RX8 only could keep ahead of the miata. It really seemed a power issue as all the other cars just pulled on it out of the turns and on the straights. Which is odd consisdering the Japanese version should have more power than the US.

Needless to say Best Motoring was not enthused with the RX8 (to be honest they weren't overly excited about the Z either, I think they're big fans of the type of driving offered by the s2000.)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Rotorhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ctwentytwo
I'm beginning to HATE that RX-8. Gimme a break. In terms of straight line performance, the Z crushes it. High 14s for the Mazda, High 13s for the Z.

Handling and lower pricing the basis of giving the nod to the rx-8? Last I saw in motor trend, who also picked the rx-8 over the Z, the rx-8's handling was only marginally (slightly) better than the z. Price? The higher power rx-8 is 27K.

I understand when you use "practicality" to base why the rx-8 is better... but really, gimme a break.

At least the EUROPEANs "get it." Car Magazine along with Evo, say the RX-8 is "soulless." Throw in the RX-8 being a hell of a lot slower. I've lost faith in American opinions. The press here puts "practicality" and "huge" at the top of the list. Not to mention opinions are easily swayed with a little moohlah.

When I look at the numbers, the Z compared to the RX-8 is by far the superior car. I don't get it.

This might be the start of a rivalry not unlike the STi/EVO thing.
What numbers are you refering to that would indicate that the Z is a far supirior car to the RX-8? The Z has much better numbers in straight line acceleration but I think the cars are fairly equivilent in performance numbers other than that.

I think what you are seeing is that most of the magazines are taking a more holistic approach to evaluating these cars. They are not using only straight line acceleration as a basis for determining which car they prefer.

I do not think anyone is buying-off these folks for their opinions. I do not own an RX-8 and probably will not in the forseable future. However, If I were buying a car I would be looking at the same things these magazines are looking at.

The RX-8 performs as well as the Z in every category but acceleration and with a $750 ECU upgrade on the RX-8 that advantage dissapears. Throw in the extra seats, trunk space and $6,000 lower price and I know which one I would buy.

The point Motorweek was making on price is that to get the Z equally equipped to match the $27,000 RX-8 (18in wheeles, performance tires, etc) they had to spend $33,000.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
ZThang

Originally posted by Rotorhead
What numbers are you refering to that would indicate that the Z is a far supirior car to the RX-8? The Z has much better numbers in straight line acceleration but I think the cars are fairly equivilent in performance numbers other than that.

I think what you are seeing is that most of the magazines are taking a more holistic approach to evaluating these cars. They are not using only straight line acceleration as a basis for determining which car they prefer.

I do not think anyone is buying-off these folks for their opinions. I do not own an RX-8 and probably will not in the forseable future. However, If I were buying a car I would be looking at the same things these magazines are looking at.

The RX-8 performs as well as the Z in every category but acceleration and with a $750 ECU upgrade on the RX-8 that advantage dissapears. Throw in the extra seats, trunk space and $6,000 lower price and I know which one I would buy.

The point Motorweek was making on price is that to get the Z equally equipped to match the $27,000 RX-8 (18in wheeles, performance tires, etc) they had to spend $33,000.
The absolute lowest price to get 18" wheels on the Z is in the Performance model which tips the scale at just over $29k. You also get VDC and HID which i'm sure the 8 comes with as well.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:41 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z crushes the RX-8 in 1/4 mile numbers.

The RX-8 "edges" the Z in handling.

The RX-8 wins? RX-8 cheaper? But does $2k make up for the huge straight line difference?

Oh yeah, thrown in the bigger trunk and 2 other doors... yeah right. It's not like the Z drives like a truck. Motor Trends comparo numbers (Z vs. rx8 issue) proves this, as well as other handling and braking tests done by other magazines.

One more note on the handling. I've been reading Aussie magazines (Speed) and UK mags, and they always take the Z over the RX-8. I really think the US press is still using Z's with the old suspension setup.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 PM
mpfstew

It's all over the Rx-8 forum. Check out zerobanger's response at the bottom of the first page!

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?threadid=22503

Old 03-08-2004, 06:01 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by mpfstew
It's all over the Rx-8 forum. Check out zerobanger's response at the bottom of the first page!
I can't believe he said that! Well, I could believe it, but I can't believe that... well, he considers the 8 to be a sports car. Now his 7 is a different story...

Haven't seen the old fellow in awhile...
Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 PM
ZPower

Who cares? Just smoke'm on the highway...
Old 03-09-2004, 06:08 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

This was on Speed twice last night. Will probably be on again over the course of the week.

Acceleration numbers were bad for both cars, the commentator sited very cold asphalt as the reason. Z did 0-60 in 6.1, 8 did it in 6.6. Z's 1/4 was 14.8 @ 97 (I think), 8's was 15.2 @ 93 (again, I think).

The only other performance measure was 60-0 braking, 117 ft for the Z, 119 for the 8. The rest was all subjective comments about the handling and balance.

When it got down to it, he said based on performance, the drivers preferred the 8 for its handling and balance.

What I thought was really funny was that they said they were testing a Touring model, but the footage they were showing was of a DB Track model, as evidenced by the Ray's wheels and Brembo brakes. So, not sure if the braking distance was actually with the stock brakes or the Brembos. Not once were the Brembos mentioned and the list price was that of the track. Although, they did mention that the base model starts at under $27k, which was less than the 8.

I guess this just goes to show that the latest flavor will somehow always be a little more favorable.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:15 AM
Rotorhead

Originally posted by ctwentytwo
The Z crushes the RX-8 in 1/4 mile numbers.

The RX-8 "edges" the Z in handling.

The RX-8 wins? RX-8 cheaper? But does $2k make up for the huge straight line difference?

Oh yeah, thrown in the bigger trunk and 2 other doors... yeah right. It's not like the Z drives like a truck. Motor Trends comparo numbers (Z vs. rx8 issue) proves this, as well as other handling and braking tests done by other magazines.

One more note on the handling. I've been reading Aussie magazines (Speed) and UK mags, and they always take the Z over the RX-8. I really think the US press is still using Z's with the old suspension setup.
A simple bolt on $750 ECU upgrade adds 40+ HP to the RX-8 and eliminates any 1/4 mile advantage that the Z has.

With the straight line advantage of the Z eliminated, all the other benifits that the RX-8 brings makes it an easy choice over the Z in my opinion. Plus I can put $6,000 in my pocket because according to Motorweek the price difference is 27,200 vs 33,800 to get the Z equiped to match the RX-8.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:28 AM
maxpowers1

Yes, but you also reduce, reliability, longitivity, warranty coverage.

With the Z you are quicker if the above is important to you.

A simple bolt on $750 ECU upgrade adds 40+ HP to the RX-8 and eliminates any 1/4 mile advantage that the Z has.

With the straight line advantage of the Z eliminated, all the other benifits that the RX-8 brings makes it an easy choice over the Z in my opinion. Plus I can put $6,000 in my pocket because according to Motorweek the price difference is 27,200 vs 33,800 to get the Z equiped to match the RX-8.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:09 AM
rednezz

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
No it was vs a G35c (Skyline). The RX8 got spanked by the Skyline, S2000, STI and some other car I forget. The RX8 only could keep ahead of the miata. It really seemed a power issue as all the other cars just pulled on it out of the turns and on the straights. Which is odd consisdering the Japanese version should have more power than the US.

Needless to say Best Motoring was not enthused with the RX8 (to be honest they weren't overly excited about the Z either, I think they're big fans of the type of driving offered by the s2000.)
The other car the RX8 lost to was a Acura Integra! What a shocker! The guys from best motoring said it was slow and didn't handle very well. I think when the Integra out handled the RX8, it proved it actually doesn't handle as well as everyone said it does.

Last edited by rednezz; 03-09-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:27 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's all one big trend:

Magazine journalists love new cars. The new kid on the block always wins.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:39 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Best stock dyno run i've seen for the RX8 is 189rwhp and 140rwtq.

Care to tell me where I can find a RX8 dynosheet showing 230+ rwhp with the stage I ECU?