Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine check light...Problem finally discovered.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 08:52 AM
InternetABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine check light...Problem finally discovered.

well I posted last week i have my service engine soon light come on....I took it in the first time...The service dept turned it off and said everthing is ok...it was just a fluk. Well did some more spirited driving this weekend.

Read race stories here https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=6387

Well needless to say I made it come on again.

Heres why it happens and the possible fix.

Since everything on this car is computer operated everything has to be in synch or it getts a error....hope they dont use windows LOL kidding,

Well.. what happens is that when you push the accelorator peddle down say 25 % the throttle body has to be doing the same (open at 25%) IF ITS NOT then the computer reports a error Shuts down meaning TOTAL LOSE OF POWER and reboots. While its rebooting you are screwed, about 5 seconds later you can recrank the engine and your good to go with the service engine soon light on.

Well. there are several sensors in the car and a sensor at the peddle and the throttle body. So the service deptment thinks its a faulty sensor doing it...(not my spirited driving hee hee)

This doesn't happen all the time but when it does, i was at high rpm.

I report if and when a senor is replace they are investigating it now. using the Nissan Tech Line.

FYI the tech told me that disconnecting the battery will not make the service light come off....I'll test that theory later if the light comes back on.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:40 AM
jasonintoronto

is the z throttle by wire (electronic) or by cable (physical)?

i don't see why a throttle setting being off requires the car to shut down - is that what you're saying?

for audi's, we could always reset the throttle body if it was off, but it wouldn't light the CEL if it was off.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:46 AM
InternetABYSS

its electric...well this is the info im being told by nissan about my error.

im in the first production run...so I'm the test pig bunch. but nissan engineers jump on it since if I have the error it will happen again to someone else.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:48 AM
z461

He is correct in saying so... I tried disconnecting the battery and it didn't take off the CEL in my car. I wonder if my car has the same problem... However, the light didn't come on when I was accelerating the 2nd time, just came on while I was idling. In addition, the engine didn't shut off for 5 seconds. The first time the service department said it was just a fluke...a "computer crash"

EDIT: The first time it came on while driving normally, the 2nd time was during idle.. Going to Universal City Nissan in the next hour or so to see what they say.

Last edited by z461; 09-23-2002 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Boomer

Default engine check

Originally posted by jasonintoronto
is the z throttle by wire (electronic) or by cable (physical)?

i don't see why a throttle setting being off requires the car to shut down - is that what you're saying?

for audi's, we could always reset the throttle body if it was off, but it wouldn't light the CEL if it was off.
The Zs have "drive by wire" electronic throttle control and if one of the components is sending a false signal then a check engine light comes on. You need to take your car immediately to the dealer like InternetABYSS plans to do. The service department computer analyzer needs to id the fault Any other anaysis is pissin' in the wind.

Boomer
Old 11-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Zonedogg

I just had the same problem...car drives fine now. But the light is still on...am I going to have to get that ****ing light reset every time I open the car up? wtf? And ive got a small burning oil smell. im under 100 miles...