Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

? Why is NJ suing Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:03 PM
MSOsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess Mercedes should be sued for having a hood ornament that hoodlums want.......

These latest responses are correct: we aren't talking about danger to owners. We are talking about making a car with components that people think are neat, and therefore there is a black market for them.

ThemBones is right.......there is no requirement that you make windows unbreakable, just because the technology is available. Cars would all cost $75K plus if manufacturers were required to use the best of everything. Is that what the people of New Jersey want?

If your car is a target for thieves, lock it up/buy insurance/get lojack or other aftermarket alarm/buy a different car. Don't expect the manufacturer to build your car differently.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

instead of worrying about frivelous lawsuits over headlights "raising car insurance for the consumers in nj" perhaps the state attorney general should do something about the states ridiculous no fault laws that are causing every major insurance company to bail out of nj (if they haven't already).

morons.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:36 PM
cwerdna

Originally posted by Daytona
As many people know, the 2000-2002 Maximas were susceptible to headlight theft since they were pretty easy to steal.
It's only for 2002-2003 Maximas. HID lights came standard on those model years and weren't available for pre-2002 Maximas.

I used to frequent maxima.org daily and I used to see at least 1 guy in NY or NJ report that their HID headlights got stolen off for 2k2-2K3 Max every 2 weeks or so. Some guys have had them stolen 3 times. The lights cost $1400/pair + repairs for any body damage the thief cost. Apparently, they can pry them out w/o even opening the hood, making them easy targets. The tabs as part of the stock plastic bracket/assembly are pretty weak. Stolen HIDs from Maximas have appeared on Ebay on occasion as well. They've GOT to be stolen since many have the tabs broken off (gee, instead of using a screwdriver, I just pried them out of the car). I've heard of a few occurrences in Florida too.

Some unfortunate souls w/pre 2K2 Maxes (halogen lights) or 2K2-2K3 Maxes where the owner put on halogens after being tired of theft have been victimized too. The thief tries to steal them, then after he's got them realizes that they're worthless halogens.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 PM
cwerdna

(ugh, can't edit my post anymore)
After all the bad press and complaints, Nissan ended up doing a voluntary "recall" for people in theft prone states (NY, NJ, and one more state) where they put on data dots on your HIDs and put on a MUCH stronger bracket (as reported by those on maxima.org) so that thieves can't simply pry your lights out.

Here's one of the many stories on the theft prob:
http://www.montclairtimes.com/page.php?page=5686

Having no lights IS a danger to owners. You can't drive around safely at night or legally w/no headlights.