Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z needs a new Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 02:54 PM
MikesChromeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z needs a new Tranny

Brought in my Z to the dealership today because of the problem I was having with the tranny slipping and they sais that 4 engineers from Cali would be coming to NY on Wed to check it out. He also said they would be replacing the tranny. This is after only having the car for 2 days. I will be calling NNa to put in a complaint and see if they can throw in some frrebies or an extended warranty.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:38 PM
archduke

Mike,
What dealer did you buy from?
What kind of tranny do you have, manual or automatic?
What a bummer!
Old 09-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Brad4rdHay

Well, I have found the gearshift to be in the perfect location. The gears are a tad stiff, but it seems to be loosening up with use.. I like the fell though, very bolt action.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:23 PM
airgate

Definately call into Nissan. It's amazing what some companies will do to keep folks happy. You may luck out and have a new spoiler and some extra goodies.

My very first S2000 had a new tranny installed at 16k miles. It took nearly two weeks to do the work. I received a "courtesy" check from Honda for the inconvenience.

These things happen sometimes, but it's great to see that some companies react so quickly to the complaint/issue. Customer satisfaction is the absolute key to success.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:23 PM
MikesChromeZ

I bought it from Smithtown Nissan, its an automatic.. It sucks I should get it back either wed or thurs. It's being serviced in Westbury..
Old 09-23-2002, 04:29 PM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MikesChromeZ
I bought it from Smithtown Nissan, its an automatic.. It sucks I should get it back either wed or thurs. It's being serviced in Westbury..
Please explain the problem in detail...it's not shifting right? Like going to 5500 before it shifts, and you have to take your foot off the gas in order for it to shift?
Old 09-23-2002, 04:29 PM
Redline
Charter Member #103

Mike,

Sorry to see you are having problems.....
Old 09-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Zoro

Default how about some details

Originally posted by ZGiRL
Please explain the problem in detail...it's not shifting right? Like going to 5500 before it shifts, and you have to take your foot off the gas in order for it to shift?

Yeah what she said!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:46 PM
MikesChromeZ

I picked up the car Friday night and everything was fine. Saturday night the first time I did any highway driving I noticed that when I got to 50 MPH it was at 4000 rpm's and if I stepped on the gas the rpm's kept going to 4500 then 4800 and it would not shift gears. Then on Sunday once I got to 30mph the rpm's went to 5000, and it would not go any faster than 30.

BUt I did have a great time in Manhattan sat night, got stopped like 50 times and people could not take their eyes off the car.. People think this is a $50,000 car. Also when I got off the lie these two girls asked me too pull over so that they could get a closer look.. They said that they saw a billboard on the LIE coming home from the city and thought that my car was the one that they saw..
Old 09-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Jill

I picked up the car Friday night and everything was fine. Saturday night the first time I did any highway driving I noticed that when I got to 50 MPH it was at 4000 rpm's and if I stepped on the gas the rpm's kept going to 4500 then 4800 and it would not shift gears. Then on Sunday once I got to 30mph the rpm's went to 5000, and it would not go any faster than 30.
That's the problem I'm having. It's not shifting right - making it very hard for proper break in procedures. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow. Can I give my dealer your salesmans/dealers name and number so they can confirm the problem or should my dealer just call NNA to get the new tranny/fix? The only difference is mine didn't limit to 30MPH, I just had to depress the gas and make it shift. Very weird!
Old 09-23-2002, 05:04 PM
MikesChromeZ

I would have your dealer call Westbury Nissan where my car is ths is because two guys from NJ came down there today, and when the service manager called me back he said 4 engineers from California would be coming down there on Wednsday to diagnois what the problem is. He did say though that they would have to replace the transmission.
Here is the info: Westbury Nissan (516)935-1812 the service mangers name is Perry.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Jill

I would have your dealer call Westbury Nissan where my car is ths is because two guys from NJ came down there today, and when the service manager called me back he said 4 engineers from California would be coming down there on Wednsday to diagnois what the problem is. He did say though that they would have to replace the transmission.
Here is the info: Westbury Nissan (516)935-1812 the service mangers name is Perry.
Thank you very much! When i had this problem, I thought it was just me, but I guess I was sorely mistaken. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:13 PM
MikesChromeZ

No Problem, I hope everything works out OK for you..Now I'm stuck with a grand prix for the next couple of days...
Old 09-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Jill

Good luck to you. Is the Grand Prix a rental? A used car off the lot that the dealer gave you? Or your 2nd car? Let me know how everything works out. I'm surprised that they're replacing the tranny - they must KNOW that a problem exists to be doing that (and in such a short amount of time). Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!!
Old 09-23-2002, 05:21 PM
MikesChromeZ

The Grand Prix is a rental that they got for me from Enterprise, after one of the guys drove it he said the tranny was slipping badly and I guess after the guys came in from Jersey they did not think the tranny was something they could fix.. I'll keep ya informed on how things go..
Old 09-23-2002, 05:53 PM
droideka

AT peeps, tell me something... when you say it doesn't shift and keeps climbing, does it ever feel like you've depressed the clutch on an MT car and it's revving freely. I had a tranny go out on my '01 Acura CL-S and the CL/TL 5-AT trannies are NOTORIOUS for breaking. I hope the same company that made the components for the Honda trannies is not doing work for Nissan.

Have you checked in with the G35 sedan owners on freshalloy.com or edmunds.com to see if they are experiencing any failures?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:02 PM
MikesChromeZ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by droidekaus
[B]AT peeps, tell me something... when you say it doesn't shift and keeps climbing, does it ever feel like you've depressed the clutch on an MT car and it's revving freely. I had a tranny go out on my '01 Acura CL-S and the CL/TL 5-AT trannies are NOTORIOUS for breaking. I hope the same company that made the components for the Honda trannies is not doing work for Nissan.

Today when I was driving it to the dealer it was off and on, sometimes it was revving freely and at times if I very gently steppped on the gas it at around 30MPH it would go past 30 but the rpm's kept climbing as long as I kept my foot on the gas.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:21 PM
droideka

Today when I was driving it to the dealer it was off and on, sometimes it was revving freely and at times if I very gently steppped on the gas it at around 30MPH it would go past 30 but the rpm's kept climbing as long as I kept my foot on the gas.
That's EXACTLY what the CL/TL trannies would do. You should ask to see the AT fluid to see if it's clean, or burnt and sludgy. On the Acura trannies when this happened, you were actually losing third gear (as in it was disintegrating) and the car would go into limp mode and not leave second gear.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:54 PM

's Avatar

Great you tell me --- I am giving up a 95 Saturn that just hit 100,000 miles and is falling apart for a 2003 Enthusiast that might have trans problems. Great.... New I should have told the dealership I wanted a manual trans.

Quick Reply: My Z needs a new Tranny