Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Few Questions for Fellow Z Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:45 AM
aryansmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Few Questions for Fellow Z Owners...

I have been an avid reader of this site before I bought my car and after as well. I have learned a great deal from the posts and thank you all! I have a few questions that I have never seen answers to if anyone wants to jump in.

1) Does resting your hand on the gearshift hurt your car? I tend to do this at times and I would like to know so I don't do any damage. May sound stupid but I saw a post with this mentioned.

2) Owners manual says mineral based oil. I know many of you use synthetic. What is the prefered way to really go? I really want my car to last.

3) Does the TCS (When it is on) only kick in when it is needed or is it all times on and hindering some of my performance?

4) More of a statement. Such a nice car to have a plastic fuel door cover... All I have to say is: what where they thinking? Maybe it shaved off a pound on the car

Anyways, I'm loving the Z and am about at the break in point. The car seems to be driving better each day. Can't wait to be able to push her a little.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Hapstr

Well heres the best I have to give.
A. Hand on shifter, No problem......
B. Syn. oil is most people's choice with the Z.
It is more costly, but has long term advantages.
As for what type, I use Redline, but Mobile 1 is
more than up to the task, all syn's are prem, quality.
C. TCS It is set as you know to auto on, however it
only is active when the rear end is detected in slip mode.
In a drift, slide while turning, the rear wheels rotate
more or less than the front wheels letting the sensors
take control of fuel flow, brakes. It is restrictive to a good
driver, but can help those who are learning or don't really
know as much as they think! Some people confuse limited
slip diff's and TCS.
D. Fuel Door, stuff happens.

I hope that answers the bulk of your Q's Good luck!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:38 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by Hapstr
C. TCS It is set as you know to auto on, however it
only is active when the rear end is detected in slip mode.
In a drift, slide while turning, the rear wheels rotate
more or less than the front wheels letting the sensors
take control of fuel flow, brakes. It is restrictive to a good
driver, but can help those who are learning or don't really
know as much as they think! Some people confuse limited
slip diff's and TCS.
Maybe I'm one of those that confuse LSD's and TCS. I've always thought that they were pretty much the same and that VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control - beginning with the Performance model) controls acceleration and braking in a skid or slip when necessary. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,
WayneTN
Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Hapstr

Originally posted by WayneTN
Maybe I'm one of those that confuse LSD's and TCS. I've always thought that they were pretty much the same and that VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control - beginning with the Performance model) controls acceleration and braking in a skid or slip when necessary. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,
WayneTN
Wayne,
It's a bit confusing, but the VDC does much of the same but also adds other things into the mix like the weight of a full tank of gas
which changes the fore/aft weight ratio and some electronic
gyro/ballance in forward motion that helps hold the line of trajectory. I have a meeting to hit,got to run, back later.

Hapstr !
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by WayneTN

Thanks,
WayneTN
LSD (limited slip differential) = controls engine torque to prevent one wheel (either left or right) from "slipping" too much compared to the opposite wheel. Routes most driveshaft power to rear wheel that is not spinning. Predominantely experience this situation when both rear wheels loose traction due to different road surfaces (left/right) or when turning a corner hard/tight.

TCS (traction control system) = reduces engine power (retards throttle) when it senses either or both rear wheels "slipping" - thus, TCS could be activated when you are going in a straight line.

EBD (electronic brake distribution) = applies hydraulic pressure to inside brake rotor to bring vehicle back under control when imminent loss of control is detected. For example, if going into corner too fast and you jerk wheel tighter, causing tail of car to want to come around on you, EBD will apply brake pressure to inside rear wheel, causing tail step back in line behind front end of car.

VDC (vehicle dynamic control) = reduces engine power and simultaneously applies EBD to control vehicle "yaw" condition when computer senses immenent vehicle loss of control.

HTH!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:53 AM
aryansmith

Thanks for the information that helps a ton!