Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Maybe I should pass on my order.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 09:31 AM
6kLaunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe I should pass on my order.

It's been a long wait and finally my car is due 10/09 for delivery, but I am having second thoughts now. I have ordered a brickyard touring, but with all the noise about the crappy sound system, I wish I had ordered the Enthusiast model now. I feel that Nissan has not done an adequate job in verifying the systems in the car. Did they not use the sound system in their tests?

The reason I opted for the Touring model was for the Leather, and the sound system was the option that pushed me over from the Enthusiast. Now that the sound system appears to be "third world" rather than world class, I feel disappointed and taken advantage of. I don't feel I am getting a good bang for the buck.

I have a couple of weeks to stew over this, what do you folks think?
Old 09-24-2002, 09:39 AM
rai

That's a tough question. On the one hand you have actually not listened to the stereo. But it seems like the vote is one (for good) vs 5 (for bad). So you are stuck with paying another grand or 2 for a new system.

On the other hand how much do you want the car? It would be worth a try to see if your dealer is able to trade with another dealer to get you an enthusiast. Might be worth a try.

Good luck either way.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:41 AM
wxtornado

Remember that not everyone with the Touring trim is having the same problem. If you are one of the unlucky ones, you should be able to get it fixed at no cost to you, perhaps just a little inconvenience at the most.

As for the crappy sound system when it's working , ask yourself how important crystal clarity and "sound stage" is to you. Can you live with it? I'm not much of an audiophile and I'm thinking the system will be ample for my needs. The radio is not the most important thing in my car anyways.....

My $.02, but it's really up to you. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2002, 09:55 AM
mark754

I'd say definitely try and get it switched to enthusiast. If your main reasons for ordering touring were leather and the bose, and it turns out that the bose is inferior to the standard stereo (which seems to be the consensus), do you really want to pay $5k extra just for leather?
Old 09-24-2002, 10:00 AM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

I think my bose sounds great. And if you're willing to give up a car on a sound system you havn't even heard yet then don't get it...leave it for someone who really wants a Z for the Car.

-Andrew
Old 09-24-2002, 10:01 AM
GameOver

yeah you should let it pass by considering all these bugs the car apparently has.

later
Old 09-24-2002, 10:05 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

It's a great car and the Bose CD's actually sound pretty good. If Nissan does nothing about the radio I'll still say the car is a fantastic overall package.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:02 PM
ericn

DON'T PASS!!!

There are other advantages to the touring other than the sound system. I don't know how the aftermarket leather seats are. But, the touring seats are second to none. If I get to fed up with the bose, I will just pop in some after market 6 1/2s and still have a factory look.

BTW...I have had no issues with my car! Knock on wood.

Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:33 PM
ahoth

Why would you drop down to the Enthusiast even if you're convinced the Touring stereo's no good and that aftermarket leather is a good option? You're then also giving up 18" rims (on the 6 speed) and VDC compared with the Performance model.

I just ordered a Silverstone Performance yesterday (Yahoo!) after mulling over the same things you're considering. It really came down to the $'s more than the deal, since any of these cars are an awesome buy for the money. If I were willing to break 35k OTD on a car right now, I would've gone with the Touring for its leather, heated power seats and the Bose.

My dealer claims that aftermarket factory leather is IDENTICAL to what's in the touring, though I've heard conflicting messages about that.

Good luck!

Andre
Old 09-24-2002, 03:15 PM
john0213

y no one mention the electronical adjustable seat!? i think it's really important to me!~
Old 09-24-2002, 03:19 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

It's definitely a personal choice, assuming that finances don't play into it. I opted for the Performance package, because I didn't want the extra doodads of the Touring, and only wanted the "Performance" oriented add-ons.

One word of caution -- demand is FAR outstripping supply, so if you pass now, you should be prepared to wait for QUITE a while. Plus, I don't know what kind of deal you have with your dealership, but I'm sure a lot of them are smacking their chops waiting to get the initial pre-order people out of the way so they can jack the price up.

Sleep on it and give it some thought. If you have 2nd thoughts, make sure they are caused by something that YOU decided, not something that others are telling you. Because in the end, it's your money, right???
Old 10-05-2002, 09:36 PM
ATC Ken

My two cents...I say buy the model you ordered. If you are semi-disappointed after your purchase, sell it on the open market and make a profit! Dealers here in my city (Houston) are getting upwards of 7K over MSRP for the few cancelled orders they manage to snag.

Bottom line - the new Z is a tremendous seller and there are many out there who didn't order, now wish they had, and are willing to pay ALOT over sticker just to get their hands on a new 350Z!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:12 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I agree that Touring is not worth the extra money in your situation, but I would not switch unless you have a specific deal all lined up. If you drop your order you may be out of luck on a new one for quite a while (or have to pay more anyway).
Old 10-05-2002, 10:23 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

If your primary concern is the Bose. It will be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails Maybe I should pass on my order.-bose.jpg  
Old 10-05-2002, 10:58 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my car today....

Yea i gotta lotta gripes about this car like the crap stereo system with funky sounding rear speakers.

My ears are picky.. and it deserves full range sounding rear speakers.

Anyhow.... im absolutely nuts over this car!

Guess wat? I can't drive it yet because of insurance reasons - waiting till monday.

So i got bored and inched it back and forth in the garage... and i loved it.

Why? Because I'm still new to driving a stick... so i managed to do both clutch and pedal footwork without killing the car.

Would i be given the choice to keep or ditch the car? *** yea i'll keep this car... only if u put a gun to my head that i'd ditch the car... ahaha, gimme 350Z or gimme death?!
Old 10-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Intrepid

Originally posted by djtonium
So i got bored and inched it back and forth in the garage... and i loved it.
Inched it back and forth, hugh? Yeah Right. You figured one trip around the block won't hurt, and before you knew it you were on the highway....
Old 10-05-2002, 11:15 PM
DIGItonium

[sigh] breathe in... breath out.

Trembling.... must control.

AHAh... no im serious. I inched it back and forth. 1st gear, and then reverse. I realized how easy it was to do this.... i see that this car and the 300ZX are the easiest for me.

Hek.. i felt at home sitting in the 350Z for the first time. Nothing awkward...

Originally posted by Intrepid
Inched it back and forth, hugh? Yeah Right. You figured one trip around the block won't hurt, and before you knew it you were on the highway....
Old 10-05-2002, 11:54 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default we are proud of you...

I remember when you posted doubts about getting a stick since you never one before...

Congrats !! and have fun... What a frustrating weekend waiting for insurance..
Old 10-06-2002, 12:47 AM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by VQracer
Bugs? What bugs, tell me specifically.
Don't bother VQ, GameOver is one of the remaining honda trolls taking a cheap shot every now and then. Just ignore him, after all he probably drives a riced out civic so he wouldn't know what a real car is.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:34 AM
Traffic

6K,

I don't think you're quite seeing the forest for the trees. Step back and look at what you're saying: "I'm walking away from the best sports car bargain since the original 240Z because I feel the stereo system may have a flaw". A temporary flaw at that. Not getting the bang for the buck? Boxster S performance for $29K? Look, I would've bought this car even if the sound system itself was optional! How about this? Before you ditch your pre-order, find someone who can give you a ride in their Z. I'll bet $100 right now you won't even remember why you wanted to jump ship

Quick Reply: Maybe I should pass on my order.