Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The REAL cost of owning a Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:40 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how would we go about "sticky-ing this thing"?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
g35cfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figuring in gas,regular maintenace visits, a new set of tires a year, and brakes, my maintenance costs for a G35C with Brembos is going to run me between $2000-$2500 a year (avg 20K+ miles a year). Add that to my $1100 a year insurance premium. It can get costly pretty quick.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Dissident

Add to it speeding tickets. Took me 2 weeks for the first :/

and the cost of the V1 you'll need after that.

And, the cost of having to find another job after spending all day on this forum
Old 03-18-2004, 09:35 AM
MA4

I saved $3000 by having a Z and not going through with remodeling my bathroom cause I had no way of getting the drywall or hot tub to the house. (3000$)

but i did spend 1600$ to have my concrete driveway re-done so i could get my Z into the driveway without scraping bottom. (-$1600)

I saved $1000 by not replacing the tires that were getting old on my previous car when i bought the Z. ($1000)

I save 500$ a year in gas since my previous car was an exploder.(2500$ over 5 years)

I save 10$ a week by buying less groceries that just made me fat anyway because they won't fit in my car. (2600$ over 5 years)

I quit going to the gym and now exercise at home (2000$ over 5 years)

I save 10$ a week by not drinking as much at the bar when i go out. (2600$ over 5 years)

I started only eating fast food when I had a coupon. (520$ over 5 years)

i canceled internet and only use the internet when i am at work(1200$ over 5 years)

thats a total of $18000 worth of expenses that i would have stil had if i didn't buy the Z, all sacrafices to justify the purchase that will stick with me and save me thousands and thousands (150k$ actually) of dollars over the next 40 years....that i would have spend, so for me, purchasing the Z is worth $150,000 minus the cost and maintenance etc of $46,000...so $100k total savings related to buying the Z.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Mr B

More expensive if you live in Cali.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:39 AM
MA4

My point is hat there is some benefit to being car poor...you learn to make do and hopefully you will learn the value of a dollar. i am by no means car-poor but i am life poor(house, dog, cars, vacations, hobbies, you name it) so every penny counts and you have to learn somehow.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:58 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by explortainment
My point is hat there is some benefit to being car poor...you learn to make do and hopefully you will learn the value of a dollar. i am by no means car-poor but i am life poor(house, dog, cars, vacations, hobbies, you name it) so every penny counts and you have to learn somehow.
Sweet Jesus!!! I hope you're not a financial advisor!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 03:02 PM
beefcake

No one mentioned about the loss you might have on your hands if you CRASH (yes i said it ), crash and total your car which will happen to many of our Z drivers. If this happens you will most likely only get blue book value from your Insurance company which will not be the same amount you paid for the car plus the interest you will still owe to your loan company/bank.

Another thing to think about for young people that think they will keep this car forever and not suffer depreciation: How many people you personally know that are 50 or 60 years old and have the car they bought when they were 20? Most people will not keep their car forever.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:20 PM
iLLestJrz

Originally posted by EL Diablo
Those posts are weekly now.

Most of these kids are car crazy and rambling their **** here.
They give me a good laugh.
I remember those days. 18 and wanting that new hot car.
It's so cute. I feel like their big brother Tony.

I like the one where the kid says he got a job. 10 bucks an hour, 20 hours a week, Now I can afford the Z.

These kids have Zero credit and Zero down pymt.

What they do have is lots of imagination

Good **** Clint! AHHAHAHAHAH
Old 03-18-2004, 05:25 PM
NY 350Z

2003Z...you are right about the living expenses...as of now while im still in school im living at home. i still help out my parents here and there out of respect. I should start doing air traffic control by next summer so i should be covered financially for a while. pay my car off, some cards and ill see what happens from there.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM

depreciation... Are you sure it's only 9k.........

Imagine - a year old Z350 with 4000 milles base model was traded for about 23k
Old 03-18-2004, 07:12 PM
-=Z=-

Default LOL

LMFAO @ explortainment!!

My 2 cents: If you have a plan for your future (investments, retirement plan, etc) then allow yourself to indulge a little. This car brings me more happiness than I could have ever imagined.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:16 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by 1337
depreciation... Are you sure it's only 9k.........

Imagine - a year old Z350 with 4000 milles base model was traded for about 23k
I personally am not sure. These numbers came from Edmunds. Depreciation is typically the highest in the first year. After that the curve shallows, so I'll bet it's not too far off. A car that was what, 27K new lost 4K over the first year. That leaves 5K for the remaining four years. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:46 PM
miZer

I honestly don't know how long I am going to be on this earth. I go paycheck to paycheck to pay for my Z at the age of 20... but I am driving the same car that you 40 and 50 years olds are. No matter what my financial situation may be... I know that I am car RICH because I own one of the hottest sports cars on the market. It is a big deal to be 20 years old and own a Z. Makes you feel all warm inside

I dont want to waste resources now in hope that in 20 years I will get a percentage of return from it. 20 years? ehhh Id rather drive a Z now and be happy... then wait 20 years and buy a sports car so every one can say I am having a mid life crisis. hah

just my 2cents.

jeremy
Old 03-19-2004, 11:33 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by miZer
I honestly don't know how long I am going to be on this earth. I go paycheck to paycheck to pay for my Z at the age of 20... but I am driving the same car that you 40 and 50 years olds are. No matter what my financial situation may be... I know that I am car RICH because I own one of the hottest sports cars on the market. It is a big deal to be 20 years old and own a Z. Makes you feel all warm inside

I dont want to waste resources now in hope that in 20 years I will get a percentage of return from it. 20 years? ehhh Id rather drive a Z now and be happy... then wait 20 years and buy a sports car so every one can say I am having a mid life crisis. hah

just my 2cents.

jeremy
There is a saying..."You gotta pay to play." While the 40-50 year olds you reference have already paid and now get to play, you are playing now and will pay later. It all balances out and everyone has their own tolerances. I didn't write this to say that if you WANT to live car-poor you are stupid, it's just a choice you make. I wrote it purely to bring to light the "hidden" costs of owning a Z so people who are trying to decide if it's a sacrifice they want to make have all the facts. These costs aren't exclusive to the Z, they exist for any car, just in different ratios.

Just so you don't think that only the extremes of "young and car-poor" or "old and car-comfortable" are your options, I'm 31(still relatively young, I think) and I paid cash for my Track model. I have a wife and a son, and real-estate paid for my car. I did the "young and car-poor" thing when I was in my early 20's. Hind-sight being 20-20, I look back on it and regret the progress that it cost me even though it was great to own a fast car. Had I waited, I probably would be driving something nicer.

Us old farts that say "don't do it" are simply trying to warn guys who "want beyond their means" to own a Z. Take it or leave it.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:25 PM
got turbo?

kcobean, i don't know if you remember me, but we meet at DTC to go to the meet on the 13th.

Anyway, I need your help. Please call me cell 571-332-3894.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:59 PM
BriGuy

Originally posted by miZer

just my 2cents.

jeremy
No, not car rich at all. You are buried in debt and making no provisions for the future. If you continue on this course, you will be a bitter 40 year old driving a rotting hulk of a car, living in a cheap rental, and not a dime in the bank.

When I was in my early 20s, I had a good friend that said the very same things you are saying here. He thought I was depriving myself of material things foolishly. He blew every dime (his car was a Mustang GT) while I saved, drove a cheap car, and worked my way through school. He has not bought a new car since the Mustang (1986), zero in the bank, and still living in a cheap apartment. Jeremy, the future will get here before you know it. Plan for it wisely or be prepared to get your *** kicked by it.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:09 AM
marhot

kcobean,Thanks for an interesting post.

You did get me thinking from a different angle. I believe that including everything (Depreciation/Financing/Taxes, License, & Fees/Fuel/Maintance/Insurance) my Z is costing me about $850.00 a month. But that is not all ‘out of pocket’, the depreciation for example you won’t see until you sale the car.

Another way to look at the cost; $ per mile. I’ve had my Z about 9 months and have only put 3,700 miles on it. It obviously sees a lot of garage time. So I figure it has cost me so far $2.25 a mile. Hmmmm? I feel that’s worth the fun!

And ditto your quote:
While the 40-50 year olds you reference have already paid and now get to play, you are playing now and will pay later.
I am an old fart. I waited 30 years for a car like this. I am having my “mid life crisis”, and I plan to enjoy it! I have not seen anyone in a Z older than me.

(My kids don’t understand and think I’m crazy, but at least they love and humor their old man. And that is all I can ask for.)

Old 03-25-2004, 07:50 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by marhot
kcobean,Thanks for an interesting post.

You did get me thinking from a different angle. I believe that including everything (Depreciation/Financing/Taxes, License, & Fees/Fuel/Maintance/Insurance) my Z is costing me about $850.00 a month. But that is not all ‘out of pocket’, the depreciation for example you won’t see until you sale the car.

Another way to look at the cost; $ per mile. I’ve had my Z about 9 months and have only put 3,700 miles on it. It obviously sees a lot of garage time. So I figure it has cost me so far $2.25 a mile. Hmmmm? I feel that’s worth the fun!

And ditto your quote:
I am an old fart. I waited 30 years for a car like this. I am having my “mid life crisis”, and I plan to enjoy it! I have not seen anyone in a Z older than me.

(My kids don’t understand and think I’m crazy, but at least they love and humor their old man. And that is all I can ask for.)

You're welcome....The depreciation was the only one of the expenses that isn't an "out-of-pocket" or "tangible" cost. And for you because of your.....wisdom ...Your insurance is probably 1/4th of what it would cost an 18 year old to insure the same car.

I remember having to try and save money every month just to pay the property taxes on my RX-7. That $400 (or whatever it was) every six months was way more than I could just pay when the bill came, so I started having to micro-manage my budget to make sure it didn't crush me. That sucked and I'm glad I'll never have to do it again.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
lemans

I am older and have driven sports car(2 seaters) all my life. But you only live once. not everybody continues to drive/want a sports car all their life. your wants change. if you are able to enjoy it now do it! money(god to many) is not worth much if you cannot enjoy it. and you can enjoy fast cars as well as many other things more when you are young. If I had waited until I was 60 to get a porsche, i probably would not have had one. Many get older and now can afford any car they want but have no desire for a sports car. It's just like women, they screw around a lot when they are young. finally settle/slow down some. Then tell the youth to abstain like they did...yeah right... enjoy it while you can. 10 years from now many of you will not even care about sports or fast cars. women will still look good though. somethings never change. Enjoy your Z and your life.

Quick Reply: The REAL cost of owning a Z