Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Did I Make a $30,000 mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 08:56 AM
jaa1755

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Make a $30,000 mistake?

As a former F-Body fanatic and a recent convert to the 350Z community, I would like to comment on something that has been bothering me…

I ordered and had delivered a Chrome Silver M6 Enthusiast about a month ago, and while I really loved the car during the break in period, I now think I may have made a mistake.

Now don’t get me wrong, as an overall performance value, the 350Z runs circles around most other competitors. The handling balance and feedback are amazing, the ergonomics of the interior are very well designed, and the car is one of the most beautiful ever penned. That’s why I bought it without really driving it – I figured with nearly 300 horsepower on tap, the engine couldn’t disappoint.

I hate to say it, but I might have been wrong. After I changed my oil at 1000 miles, I drove the extra 200 to end the break in, and then I found a long straight road and opened it up. While it felt far from ‘slow’, I wasn’t very impressed. Below 4k RPM, there isn’t enough torque to even press you back in your seat. Above 4500, you can feel the horsepower, but in my opinion it’s still not anywhere near “wow” impressive.

Now, I realize I have to keep in mind my old ‘toy” was a full bolt on Formula Firebird, and with 12 second time slips (feathering the launch), I need to give a lot of leeway to the different feel and power level of this engine. However, I sold the Formula months ago, and my daily driver is an Accord coupe five speed, so I am far from used to a powerful car.

I’m just worried that I spent $30,000 on a car with a lot more bark than bite, so I’ll pose the question like this – All fanatical Z loyalty aside, are you satisfied with the engine in your 350? Does it perform like you expect, or are you always left wishing for more?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:04 AM
toykilla

For its class the engine is top notch. It was never meant to be a LS1 killer, or even a contender.

It is a 3.5L v6, almost half the size of your former car's engine.

The car performs as I thought it would. Of course I wish it was faster, but this is the car I wanted. If I only wanted straightline performance, there were plenty others to choose from.

If you are really worried about it, save a little money and strap on some forced induction. The tuned superchargers are getting close to 400rwhp. that is about 150hp extra!..

My plan later this year is to go with a turbo setup, pushing 450+rwhp. That way I can have the looks and killer speed.

But again, this car performs like I expected, AND I went into the deal knowing that I was going to mod the engine.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:04 AM
mofoz

the Z was not meant to be a straight line beast, and its not. Add nos if you want 12sec timeslips, but for everyday driving i find it more than powerful enough for fun. It is a drive by wire system, so there is a difference between 75% throttle and full out pedal to the floor. It outperforms what i expected, but theres always room for more power.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
LBSOHK

no matter what car you own , after awhile you will be wishing for more... to tell you the truth i am satisfied with the power my Z is producing , do I want more ? sure , but thats why the market is filled with after market products...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
robcassell

i used to own a 1999 and 1996 Camaro SS and I would not trade in my Z for either of these cars. It isn't just about power, Nissan was going for something more. Driving down the road in a Firebird, there is nothing really special about that, and the interior is nothing to write home about. The Z is something different though. The Z has power, class, and people on the road love to examine it as it goes by. If your missing power, then the Z isn't the BEST example of it. But everthing else, including power, the Z glows with class.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:53 AM
EL Diablo

What new car for 30K could you have gotten that would satisfy you?

STi or EVO ? Just plain ugly IMO

The Z isnt just about speed, and it's in no way slow.

In order to get your old car faster you had to mod it.
Same with the Z. Add a few mods and you'll be much happier
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Alang

First, no you didn't make a $30K mistake. You can sell the car and get back a good portion of it, so maybe a $5K mistake (when you factor in taxes, registration, etc).

Having said that, your observation is common to new owners. There are several things the might be happening here.
Most common is the drive by wire throttle controls. If you want to go fast, you need to floor it. Unlike most cars, half pedal is only half gas, not almost WOT. Also, when you floor it, floor it fast. I get better response if I stomp on the gas then when I slowly press it to the floor. The computer apparently reacts differently depending on how the loud pedal is used. Also, turn off the VDC. No one can confirm it, but my butt dyno tells me its faster accelerating with that thing off.

Second (less likely since you came from a car with actual torque), but people switching from high reving 4 bangers (especially VTECs) that have a peaky torque curve, miss the push in the back that happens when you hit higher RPMS. The car is steadly accelerating instead of having a rush of power. Its still going pretty good (nothing like an LS1), it just doesn't feel like it.

If you want the looks of the Z and the brute force of American V8 muscle, get some kind if FI and just smile, smile, smile.

If you don't want FI, then you need to be happy with less than muscle car like acceleration. Some N/A mods give you more oomph, but they are pricy.

Good luck and welcome to sports cars.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:09 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by Alang
Also, turn off the VDC. No one can confirm it, but my butt dyno tells me its faster accelerating with that thing off.
Like jaa1755 I have an Enthusiast, so no VDC. But what about TCS? Does that slow acceleration significantly too? I believe it does, but since I have no butt dyno, I have no confirmation.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
DrVolkl

You made a $30,000 mistake when you bought that f-body. What a piece of crap those cars are.

Bolt on an SC or a Turbo and enjoy! You can't compare these two cars.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:37 AM
gooters

no mistake jcc, you answered your own question in your post better than I have sen answered yet. Its a trade-off. I never owned a F car and never ReALLY wanted one.

I think the sheer beauty and well roundedness of the Z make it worthwhile...and I can even relate to you. I have driven a friends Camaro SS a couple of times and the Z never really gave me that same stupid $hiteating grin that I got from pegging the 6spd SS. The feel of getting slammed back in your seat is a wonderful thing! I still would buy my Z over an SS again if I had the choice.

Two different experiences. Its your call. You could always add some HP (I guess FI is the best route, maybe research nitrous?) to get that silly grin again.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:38 AM
drivenCSZ

the only mistake you made was not driving it!!! like what?? who buys a 30,000 car and doesnt drive it first. especially if you thought it may be short on power. Maybe you should have researched a little bit before you bought the car. obviously you didnt or you would know the Z doesnt run 12's and you would have exepcted it. more bark than bite? if you were worried about 1/4 times you should have known the Z is a high 13 sec car stock. If you have the money strap on a turbo or supercharger and that should satisfy you
Old 03-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Setter32

Seemed like no one said it, so I will. I think the Z would out class the Firebird in handling. Take them to the twisties, and at the finish line.....the Z will be eating its' sandwich waiting for the Bird.

The Z is the best all around package for ~30K. And maybe even 40K.

It annoys me, when people talks about performance in terms of acceleration and top speed only. The driving experience is much more than just stomping on the gas pedal, hanging on, going in a straight line and yellin "YEE HAW!!".

But then again, I'm not much of a NASCAR fan.....so I may be biased.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:19 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

I used to drive my bros 99' Vette and was always in awe of the straight line performance.

But the truth is that a stock most F-Body cars are not much fatster than a Z even in the straights. They run 13.6 stock if Im correct.
I have raced many Z28 cars from a roll and have yet to really lose. Its usually neck and neck. Now I have yet to race an SS but I bet that it would take me.

I think the thing that is hard to get used to is how evenly distributed the TQ and HP is through the Tach.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:36 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

massive low end torque helps too.

as you said you dont get sucked into your seat under 4500RPM, not to be confused with the fact that it has more torque under there than 50% of vehicles available today have peak, its still not seat grabbing.

I havent driven a V8 like yours, did take a ride in 2003Zs SC Z which did suck you into the seat at all RPMs and as I heard, ran a 12.8 or so. Ive also driven my fathers car, which is a gran prix GTP. big displacement for a 6 at like 3.8 or something, with a supercharger, a not so impressive ~245hp, but it has 2 things going for it.

around 300ftlbs of torque damn near idle.

and sloppy suspension.

without knowing everything about your domestic, typicly in stock form they are a tad sloppy on the suspension. Im sure your familiar with the rear end squating under acceleration which amplifies the butt dyno letting gravity help. and the low end torque give a swift kick in the pants rather than the EXTREMELY gradual development of power in the 350Z.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:25 PM
tdukeman

I've made the gradual increase in hp and performance

96-saturn sc1- crap
99-chrysler sebring- seudo crap
02-lexus is300- good car little better hp
04.5-350Z- I'm still drooling after 2 weeks of having this. It's beautiful, it's fast, and as stated earlier, it's handling is superb. I think I'm most impressed with how this thing handles around bends I find I can do things with this car that I would have never dreamt possible with my others.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:55 PM
phreezee

I too am disappointed with the Z's sub-4000rpm performance, and I desparately want to S/C, or TT this thing. It's the only mod I think that's worth while.

Try this, it might make you feel better, take the car to a steady 4000rpm in 2nd gear and cruise normally, calmly look over to the passenger, STOMP on the gas, watch passenger's neck get snapped back. You'll feel that sucked into your seat sensation you desire.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:58 PM
fblue

Default Re: Did I Make a $30,000 mistake?

Originally posted by jaa1755
As a former F-Body fanatic and a recent convert to the 350Z community, I would like to comment on something that has been bothering me…

I ordered and had delivered a Chrome Silver M6 Enthusiast about a month ago, and while I really loved the car during the break in period, I now think I may have made a mistake.

Now don’t get me wrong, as an overall performance value, the 350Z runs circles around most other competitors. The handling balance and feedback are amazing, the ergonomics of the interior are very well designed, and the car is one of the most beautiful ever penned. That’s why I bought it without really driving it – I figured with nearly 300 horsepower on tap, the engine couldn’t disappoint.

I hate to say it, but I might have been wrong. After I changed my oil at 1000 miles, I drove the extra 200 to end the break in, and then I found a long straight road and opened it up. While it felt far from ‘slow’, I wasn’t very impressed. Below 4k RPM, there isn’t enough torque to even press you back in your seat. Above 4500, you can feel the horsepower, but in my opinion it’s still not anywhere near “wow” impressive.

Now, I realize I have to keep in mind my old ‘toy” was a full bolt on Formula Firebird, and with 12 second time slips (feathering the launch), I need to give a lot of leeway to the different feel and power level of this engine. However, I sold the Formula months ago, and my daily driver is an Accord coupe five speed, so I am far from used to a powerful car.

I’m just worried that I spent $30,000 on a car with a lot more bark than bite, so I’ll pose the question like this – All fanatical Z loyalty aside, are you satisfied with the engine in your 350? Does it perform like you expect, or are you always left wishing for more?

I too came from a much more powerful car. I had a Firebird Firehawk with 345HP and lots of torque. While the Z is not as fast as my 'Hawk was, it is a lot more refined. I am very happy with the engine. It's pretty fast and very smooth. I liked the Firehawk, but it was basically a drag racer. If that is what you are looking for, then I would have gone with a Cobra. Or for the same money as the Z you could have gotten an ugly box called a WRX sti. If you were looking for a great sports car, than the Z was a great choice. It's looks and handling are awesome.
Besides, I don't know about you, but the Z is certainly a more mature ride than our Fbirds were. I actually was looking at the Cobra, but I felt like teenager. Don't kick yourself, you made a good choice.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
mcjohn1

Sorry pal you bought a road car not a dragster!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:52 PM
IsatteliteI

Default Mistake?

Of course one always want's more power especially after driving the car for a couple of weeks. Heck give me an F16 to fly around in and eventually I'd wonder what I could do to make it go faster...
The thing about the 350Z is that you get a lot of car for the money. Sure it may have it's quirks, problems, etc but I'm sure Nissan will eventually solve all those problems, we just have to keep harassing them and anyone who'll listen.
I'm happy with my car, love all the attention and even smile a little when little kids think it's a Porche.
It has plenty of power to get you in trouble, and more than enough if you use it sensibly. It's not a drag car, it's more suited to the track where turning is necessary.
I just think it's a great little car, I love my Z
Old 03-19-2004, 02:10 PM
T.Lowry

Originally posted by mcjohn1
Sorry pal you bought a road car not a dragster!

For some reason Turner Classic Movies has been showing 1960's racing movies. There was one set in Europe, I think it was "Grand Prix." Anyway, it was very interesting as I was watching because I thought to myself. "That's what MY car sounds like."

Not only is this car not a dragster, it is not a cruiser. I think this car is meant to be revved a little high before upshifting with a lot of active downshifting and braking.

I often drive with the radio off, just to hear the great sounds this car makes as I move through the gears.

I don't think it is an accident when Nissan decided to make "The Run" that they put the car in the middle of a city with twisting streets. If you didn't get a copy of "The Run" from Nissan, go get it and watch it. THAT's the car you bought.

Quick Reply: Did I Make a $30,000 mistake?