Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan Or Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004 | 09:19 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

Im thinking/hoping he was being sarcastic and joking.
Old 03-22-2004 | 07:18 AM
Dustin4u

He has to be joking.

RX-8 CLAIMS 238 hp? rofl but its only pushing out 190.

WTF, id be so pissed if i bought one and didn't know this. Talk about a lemon.

13MPG? No thanks
Flooding in a rotary and you need to tow it to the dealership. Go look at rx8.com. People keep flooding the engine by starting the car and going a short distance and it floods, because the engine isn't warm.
WTF? lol
Its not like a normal engine were you wait and it unfloods.

Not to mention those terrible back doors that copy Saturn. How can anything be "cool" that rips off Saturn. There terrible.

good luck wuth any re-sale down the road. No thanks.

Lemon law much?
Old 03-22-2004 | 09:02 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

190? I must have been looking at the wrong threads, I saw 2 seperate dynos both showing a ~165hp baseline. you can get it up to 190 with one of the chips out on the market.

of course supposedly it makes them like the euro spec cars, which means you arent going to pass emmisions with them. or any other slight modification.
Old 03-22-2004 | 11:06 AM
Formula 420

hmm. you guys are helpful, i've tdriven an 8 twice. and i'm booked to td a z in a week. i'll see, the problem is if i buy a z i want the roadster, and the dealer only has the regular z's in stock. so...
Old 03-22-2004 | 12:21 PM
Dustin4u

Formula, they will find you a coupe.

I'm in Ottawa and my deal only had 1 black Roadster...i wanted a coupe.

He made some calls and found a Chrome Silver i was looking for on a boat from Japan heading to Saskachawen.

Saskachawen didn't want anything the Ottawa dealer had...so the Ottawa dealer found a coupe in Quebec, that Saskachawen dealer would take.

So Ottawa sent there Roadster to Quebec...Quebec sent the Coupe to Saskachawen......Saskachawen is sending the CS Coupe to Ottawa and i get it Mid April.

Its like a NHL 3 way trade.

Everyone confused? good!

So yes, they will get you, your car if your serious and put a little cash down.

The only issue was there was only 12, 350Z's in total in Canada that were available.
8 of them were Silverstone...1 Chrome and i don't know the other 3.

This was a week ago.
350Z's are rare i guess in Canada.
Old 03-22-2004 | 02:36 PM

Ah sarcasam does not go far these days.
Old 03-22-2004 | 03:27 PM
stevew

The 350Z has more torque just above idle than the RX-8 has at peak. Enough said.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:51 PM
Formula 420

thats all good dustin, but when i td the car i want to test the roadster. not the coupe
Old 03-22-2004 | 09:01 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

www.nissanusa.com. they have a car locator thing.

Ive never used it, so thats all I know.

but others say its very useful for finding a certain car in your area!

of course good chance it doesnt work for canada. but... yeah.... Ill shut of now.
Old 03-23-2004 | 09:47 AM
eric_c

My 2 cents...

Looks are subjective, so its not really a good way to decide unless you feel strongly about it. RX-8 looks fine to me, I prefer the more angular look of the Z.

Price-wise, here in Canada, the RX-8 is a pretty good bargain considering what you get (we don't have base Z's here in Canada, so starting price is $45000. RX-8 starts at $38 I believe).

Convenience-wise, RX has the leg up. Although the Z can easily accomodate a week's worth of groceries, I'd find it tough having it as an only car. The brace really cuts into the practical storage space.

Ignoring the engine, I think reliability of both cars will be similar.

Comparing engines however, I think Z is head and shoulders over the RX-8. First of all, there is the reliability issue. While the RX-8 hasn't been on the road that long, I think the RX-7 is a good indicator of what could happen. Yes, the Renesis is a new engine, but an apex seal is an apex seal. It will be interesting to see what happens RX-8's start hitting the 40000 to 50000 mile mark.

Secondly, there is the very real issue that many dealership mechanics simply aren't very familiar with rotary engines. Nissan, on the other hand, has shoved the VQ35 in pretty much everything minus the Titan, Armada and Sentra (not to mention half the Infiniti line-up). Its a common engine.

Thirdly, gas mileage on my RX's is very poor. I routinely get 23 to 26 MPG in my Z.

Power and acceleration, stock for stock, Z is faster. Not sure if this is important to you. Personally, I'd be a bit miffed falling prey to Maxima's, Altima's, Accords, etc in my sports car. While the Z is not the fastest thing on the road, its faster than the bulk of the cars out there.

Ride quality ride, it sounds as if the RX rides better than the Z.
Old 03-23-2004 | 02:39 PM
Sly_Z

I had a Mazda6 s model before I got my Z, The problem was the whole 8months that I had this mazda I was leterally taking it in twice a week to clear the check engine light. They replace the ignition coil and wires twice, reflashed it 6 times. So, I told them to do a buy back and I was going to buy the RX8. So, I test drove the RX8. The sales guy knew me and he let me really test drive it not some quick spin a round the block. I took it down I270 at top speed, through the curvation back roads, and dropping the hammer from the light. I was really impressed, but the Mazda dealership had a used 2003 Track Model Z on their lot. When I got back the sales guy ask me do I want to test drive the Z. Here the catch theirs a NIssan dealership right across from the Mazda dealership that had NEW 04 Zs.

I test drove the Z under the same conditions. I felt that the Z was quicker on accelaration, handling, and felt more like sportscar than the RX8. The Rx8 felt really light on the curvy roads. I have to admit that I did like the Dash on the RX8 better, but I'm a performance guy so I chose the Z. I got a good deal because the GM felt bad about my problems with the Mazda6.

This Pikes Peak Track Model Z is the best car I ever bought and I had 12 Cars in My 35 years. Every Z owner I meet are really happy with their purchase. It is not just a car.
Old 03-23-2004 | 07:49 PM
cwerdna

Originally posted by eric_c
Comparing engines however, I think Z is head and shoulders over the RX-8. First of all, there is the reliability issue. While the RX-8 hasn't been on the road that long, I think the RX-7 is a good indicator of what could happen. Yes, the Renesis is a new engine, but an apex seal is an apex seal. It will be interesting to see what happens RX-8's start hitting the 40000 to 50000 mile mark.

Ride quality ride, it sounds as if the RX rides better than the Z.
I've counted 11 unique people on rx8club (the dealer just ordered Topgun a new engine, the latest victim) who've needed new engines. I recall that a least 1 of them is in Canada and 1 other is outside North America. The rest are in the US. All have had pretty low mileage, Topgun was only at 580 miles.

Hopefully not all their engines will suffer the same fate or they resolve whatever problem it is they've having: manufacturing, design, bad parts, who knows?

Afte riding in my friend's RX-8 and taking the same roads in my Z, I can say the RX-8's ride is much smoother.
Old 03-24-2004 | 10:44 PM
ml2316

which is more stressful to you: tire feathering or flooding? have you considered the s2000?
Old 03-25-2004 | 05:34 AM
350black

hey buddy do us all a favor buy yourself the dam 8. Fewer cars like ours on the road the better. The 8 is a really nice car, the only problem is that I have never seen the back end of one so I am not sure what the whole car looks like, but the front end looks really good through my mirrors. Seriously though the Z has a lot of side effects that you will not be able to deal with, like which girl do you have to give a ride to next, you know that sort of thing. Any ways have fun in your new mickey mouse car.
Old 03-25-2004 | 07:40 AM
Sly_Z

Originally posted by ml2316
which is more stressful to you: tire feathering or flooding? have you considered the s2000?
Or you could ask him what is more important a weak 4cylinder or a strong V6
Old 03-25-2004 | 11:52 AM
ml2316

it's a strong 4cylinder and a strong v6. hyundai's may have *weak* 4 cylinders, but the s2000 has probably one of the strongest na 4 cylinders.
Old 03-31-2004 | 11:27 AM
rotary_genesis

Originally posted by Dustin4u
He has to be joking.

RX-8 CLAIMS 238 hp? rofl but its only pushing out 190.

WTF, id be so pissed if i bought one and didn't know this. Talk about a lemon.

13MPG? No thanks
Flooding in a rotary and you need to tow it to the dealership. Go look at rx8.com. People keep flooding the engine by starting the car and going a short distance and it floods, because the engine isn't warm.
WTF? lol
Its not like a normal engine were you wait and it unfloods.

Not to mention those terrible back doors that copy Saturn. How can anything be "cool" that rips off Saturn. There terrible.

good luck wuth any re-sale down the road. No thanks.

Lemon law much?
Are you a complete moron? Do you even know what the lemon law is? I'm not gonna get into debate as to which car is better because everyone has their own opinions, but I think you need to educate yourself before you start this lemon law thing.

On a side note, some of you mention the flooding or engine replacement and yes there are some out there, but you also can't ignore this. I think I'd rather have ONE engine replacement over MULTIPLE tranny replacements.

It's an unproven engine but as long as you treat it right you should have no problems with any car unless it's bad right off the lot. Drive both then make a decision, that's what I did. If you go to either board your just gonna start a flame war. Whether it be rx-8 is awesome Z suck or vice versa. You're the one driving it, not us.
Old 03-31-2004 | 11:48 AM
Z04

how about this

just go to each respective car manufactuers website, and compare the two cars. simple solution. if you need a forum board to help you decide what car to get you got no business buying one in the first place
Old 03-31-2004 | 11:48 AM
BillR

I have an RX8 and a G35. Both cars are different. The G is faster, roomier, more comfortable. The 8 handles more deftly, has better interior build quality, and is not very roomy.
The 8 IS fast, but not like the G. The 8's fuel ecomomy is terrible, but then again, it's not touted as an economy car. The 8's rear doors are very convienient (sp?) if you have to carry items with you.
Keep test driving both till you decide.
Old 03-31-2004 | 11:49 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by rotary_genesis
Are you a complete moron? Do you even know what the lemon law is? I'm not gonna get into debate as to which car is better because everyone has their own opinions, but I think you need to educate yourself before you start this lemon law thing.
I don't think Dustin4u ever mentioned the Lemon Law. What he did mention was a lemon, and if you educate yourself on the meaning of the word, it means something that's defective or unsatisfactory.

Quick Reply: Nissan Or Mazda