Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Removal of spare

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
5ilver5tone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of spare

Is the foam holder that holds the tools and the blank one on the others side also removable?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:32 AM
cedusett

Why bother, it's not adding any weight.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:47 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why are you removing your spare?

run flats or satellite phone?

only 2 reasons Id ever drive without a spare. and the weight the run flats would add would more than offset the weight of a spare.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:55 AM
DiRN

My guess is a stealth box for an amp. The shop where I ordered my subs mentioned them to me. I said I liked them, but I do way too much driving to remove the spare.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Jsn350Z

Just got me thinking.... If I do get a flat, if I have the spare or not, how in the world am I going to fit one of my Volks in the Z? That is, if I have my GF or another passenger in the car.

Anyone with experiance there? Since the tire/wheel is wider it does not fit uner the STB in the back, foud that out with me TE37's.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:15 PM
jerrs350z

Wow! I don't see how my tires will fit either. Better put a couple
of bungee cords in trunk and be prepared to keep the hatch open.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:40 PM
DiRN

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
Just got me thinking.... If I do get a flat, if I have the spare or not, how in the world am I going to fit one of my Volks in the Z? That is, if I have my GF or another passenger in the car.

Anyone with experiance there? Since the tire/wheel is wider it does not fit uner the STB in the back, foud that out with me TE37's.
Leave the girlfriend and bring the wheel home. Or, if for some reason you'd feel bad about that, put the girl in the trunk.

I'm just playin'. Like jerrs350z said, be prepared to open the hatch.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:59 AM
3kgto

Hey, I've just had the experience about a month back where I had to change out to my spare tyre after a 4" long, 1/4" wide hollow metal rod pierced through my rear tyres 9.5 x 18 with 275/40-18 tyres. Thank goodness it didn't punch through my wheels.

My first thought was exactly like what you are worried about. How the hell am I going to lug my rear wheels back home? But after assessing it, its actually as simple as chucking it back to where the spare wheel well is (looks tricky, but trust me it isn't) and just chuck the rear mat and spare wheel plastic cover on top of the full size wheel or where-ever can fit. Rear hatch closes as normal and all the other stuffs in the rear went onto my girlfriend's lap or behind the seats.

So, unless you have loads of audio stuffs behind, I shouldn't see any problem.

Originally posted by Jsn350Z

Last edited by 3kgto; 03-25-2004 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
akaa
Banned

take ou t your spare and if you get a flat tire just call rodside assitance
Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by akaa
I've spent anywhere between 15 minutes and 4 hours waiting for AAA to show up in the past. Personally I'd rather keep the spare and change it myself.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 AM
cedusett

Spoken with obvious experience. AAA is great... sometimes. I locked my keys in my car once at VA Beach and had to sit around waiting for about 3 hours.

What really sucked was knowing the beach was 200 yards away, but not being able to go because I had to sit next to my damn car.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:08 PM
zpylot

Originally posted by akaa
Roadside Assistance (AAA in California) will only change the flat with the spare when you get a flat. They don't fix the tire on the spot.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:38 PM
AV630

Yup its called AAA you should get it... if i get a flat im getting my car towed to a tire place to get it fixed for NO charge..... well minus my small monthly fee...... that doesnt increase..... its what its good for.... they will tow 100 miles both ways.... or 200 miles 1 way....
Old 03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Jason Bourne

3kgto is right. You can fit a wheel/tire in the spare tire well and all it will do is stick out a couple inches into the hatch causing the cover to be a little higher. It won't hit your strut brace unless you have 365 tires or something.

I have actually carried four Track wheels with 245/40-18 Hoosiers on them inside my car while also carrying the spare. You can actually fit the spare + two full size wheels and tires in the hatch area.

During the upcoming season I plan to drive my car hundreds of miles to far-flung track locations with all four wheels, my tools, jack, clothing for the trip etc... inside the car. But I'll toss the spare for that (after all with 8 wheels on/in the car - I don't think I'll need it).
Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 PM
DiRN

Originally posted by cedusett
Spoken with obvious experience. AAA is great... sometimes. I locked my keys in my car once at VA Beach and had to sit around waiting for about 3 hours.

What really sucked was knowing the beach was 200 yards away, but not being able to go because I had to sit next to my damn car.
That sounds a lot better than 4 hours in December in Jersey on the side of a major highway waiting for gas because the stupid gas station ripped me off.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent had my spare in my car for ages now...

I was going to take out all that foam but decided ill wait until I strip the whole rear of my car...
Old 03-26-2004, 08:21 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've also been thinking about taking out my spare tire do a new sub install in the spare tire well this summer but i'm worried about what to do with a flat tire. I'll be bringing my car up to school next semester and would not want to have to wait for a tow truck on the side of the road in the middle of no where.

so, i was wondering if the foam tire fill stuff actually works for temporary driving?

tia
rajiv
Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The tire foam will only work for small punctures.. like if you got a nail in the tire and slow leak for instance.. It will not work in the case of blowouts and major damage obviously.

I've removed the spare from my cars in the past.. for speaker boxes and what not... but I always get AAA if I do..

I have aftermarket Volk TE37's in my car now and I don't know if anyone else has tried but the standard issue Nissan tire iron doesn't fit into my rims to get my lugs off.. so the spare is useless to me right now.. I need to find a "lower profile" tire iron...

...and if you are taking the spare out to make the car lighter, you will actually be throwing the 53/47 weight distribution off by a little more.. On the drag strip it may make sense but on an autox or road course it may hinder more than help.. but the spare only weighs like 60lbs anyways..

--mike
Old 03-26-2004, 02:14 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

does the spare tire even have the same overall diameter as the stock wheels (track wheels if it makes a difference for overall diameter)? i've looked at the spare tire and it looks like it's much smaller.
i couldn't imagine driving the Z with it leaning down on one tire. And that would also screw with the vdc while using the spare then too wouldn't it?

Rajiv
Old 03-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by hndumafia
does the spare tire even have the same overall diameter as the stock wheels (track wheels if it makes a difference for overall diameter)? i've looked at the spare tire and it looks like it's much smaller.
i couldn't imagine driving the Z with it leaning down on one tire. And that would also screw with the vdc while using the spare then too wouldn't it?

Rajiv
It's pretty close. It seems to be just about dead even with my 245/45-17 rear tires on the stock 17" wheels.

They try to make the diameter the same not so much because of the issues you stated but more because if you have uneven sizes on the rear wheels, you can cook the differential in highway driving.

Quick Reply: Removal of spare