Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

small dimple on rear bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:07 PM
milanista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small dimple on rear bumper cover

I just noticed a small dimple towards the top left side of the rear bumper cover on my black Z roadster, over the license plate. It might have been there since new, but never noticed until a couple of days ago. Since the bumper cover is plastic, I don't think it can be pulled out using your typical paintless body repair method, or can it? Any idea of how to go about taking care of this, short of replacing or even taking off the bumper cover? Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
OP Z

I had a flat spot on my bumper the size of a small pancake. Nissan paid for the bumper replacement. The dealer that did the work checked and said every Z he had on the lot at the time had some minor imperfection!
Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 AM
milanista

Originally posted by OP Z
I had a flat spot on my bumper the size of a small pancake. Nissan paid for the bumper replacement. The dealer that did the work checked and said every Z he had on the lot at the time had some minor imperfection!
Thanks, OP Z. I thought about bringing the problem to my dealer's attention, but since I didn't notice it until a couple of days ago (I had the car for about 2 months), I didn't want to have to argue with the dealer after probably being told I put that "dimple" on it myself. Do you know whether the bumper covers come prepainted from the factory?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:50 AM
diesel756

i had the same problem , front bumper , pancake sized dent ( no scatch ) , it cant be removed by paintless dent removel. bumper needs to be replaced. thx god a parking garage by me scratched my front bumper because now they are getting me an entirely new bumper free of charge , matter of fact the care is in the shop today getting a nose job.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
OP Z

The bumper is not factory painted. All together it is a $400 job. I can't say that my dealers paint job was as good as the factory, but I can definitely live with the paint imperfections over the flat spot.

It was the first thing I noticed everytime I looked at the car and it drove me crazy.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

I have the same thing... not quite a pancake, but a very subtle indentation that is not a dent. Came from the factory that way, and I didn't notice it until a week or so after owning it (it wasn't anybody else's doing b/c it was garaged during that time). It doesn' t look like the kind of dimple that someone could do intentionally anyway.

It's pretty much only visible when viewed from an angle and in some sort of reflective manner.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:36 AM
milanista

Originally posted by yobri
I have the same thing... not quite a pancake, but a very subtle indentation that is not a dent. Came from the factory that way, and I didn't notice it until a week or so after owning it (it wasn't anybody else's doing b/c it was garaged during that time). It doesn' t look like the kind of dimple that someone could do intentionally anyway.

It's pretty much only visible when viewed from an angle and in some sort of reflective manner.
Yeah, just like the imperfection on my rear bumper: not quite a dimple, but a subtle indentation visible only when viewed at an angle. I guess this imperfection is something I'm going to have to live with until, God forbid, the rear bumper cover is replaced due to more substantial damage....
Old 03-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Dissolved

I have a dimple on my bumper too. Don't sweat it man. More like milanista described. A lot of Z's have this. It's comforting to know we're not alone !
Old 03-24-2004, 08:16 AM
james007p

I have worse than a dimple. 3 days after i got my Z (about 2 weeks ago) I noticed and 3inch by 3 inch blotch on my trunk. I tried to buff it out to no avail. I brought it back to the dealer and they said that it was condensation caught under the clear coat caused by the plastic cover placed on the car. They thought they could get it out with a heat gun but they couldn't. Now my 2 week old car is in the Nissan body shop (which I couldn't go see because "no one is allowed to") getting the trunk painted. I am praying that they don't f* it up because I don't have much recourse since I leased it. If I had bought it, I may have been able to ask for a new car.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:45 AM
milanista

Originally posted by james007p
I am praying that they don't f* it up because I don't have much recourse since I leased it. If I had bought it, I may have been able to ask for a new car.
At which point, the Nissan service manager would have busted up laughing....