Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1400.00 Dollar Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Elronn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1400.00 Dollar Question

Hello all...got a question for you all...Was not sure where to post it since it could have quite a few answers...I have 1400.00 dollars to spend...Now I can spend it all but don't have to you know what I am saying....I drive a Performance model..everything is stock on it with 156 miles on the car....

Now I was wondering if you could use that money for anything on the car what would you use it on...Besides rims..already have funds set aside for those (some volks)...I was thinking exhaust, a nice one...But I know there are so many things I can do I was wanting everyones opinion...If you give it please give me your reason why, and what brand you would use and what you would get...and if you can the price range around it. Thanks for all the helps guys.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:46 AM
jesseenglish

Borla Exhaust, Kinetix Plenum, JWT Popcharger, and a Short throw shifter. I'd get those because they are all proven good performance wise and they're all inexpensive.

Borla ~ $650
Kinetix ~ ??? Less than $400 I believe
Popcharger ~ $130
RE Short Shifter ~ $300

Those are rough guesses because I don't remember the exact prices and search is down, but you get the idea.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:47 AM
jesseenglish

If you're looking for all performance mods, you could substitute the Short shifter with an UR crank pulley. It's a bit cheaper.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:57 AM
EL Diablo

Exhaust, CAI, and Crank Pulley.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:23 AM
samw1978

Originally posted by EL Diablo
Exhaust, CAI, and Crank Pulley.
I'd do the same
Old 03-27-2004, 07:41 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by jesseenglish
Borla Exhaust, Kinetix Plenum, JWT Popcharger, and a Short throw shifter. I'd get those because they are all proven good performance wise and they're all inexpensive.

Borla ~ $650
Kinetix ~ ??? Less than $400 I believe
Popcharger ~ $130
RE Short Shifter ~ $300

Those are rough guesses because I don't remember the exact prices and search is down, but you get the idea.
This sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Ricky
Banned

New Borla Shipped - $650
New CAI - $200 shipped
UR Crank Pully with Belt Shipped - $230

You'd still have $320 pocket money left.

Contact COZ@Concept Z Performance (www.czp.us)

Awesome guy sells a combo package to even further reduce prices!!
Old 03-27-2004, 07:46 AM
jesseenglish

Why are you guys so dead set on a CAI. JWT Popcharger has proven gains. I've yet to see any from the CAI's. No flame, just asking cause maybe I missed something.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by jesseenglish
Why are you guys so dead set on a CAI. JWT Popcharger has proven gains. I've yet to see any from the CAI's. No flame, just asking cause maybe I missed something.
I agree, I say leave the intake stock or go JWT. All other recommendations look good.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:20 AM
spdu4ia

i have the AEM cai and i love it... its up to personal preference.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:22 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing I did was replace the #@&^% stero system on my Performance.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:04 AM
350Zrunnin12s

or save a bit more and do what i am doing.. ordering stuff within the next 200 miles car has 508 atm.

Borla True Dual Exhaust
Injen CAI
Borla Headers
UR Crank Pulley Set

guy im getting it from www.racemrc.com all installed also and everything for around 2k.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:12 AM
jesseenglish

No offense, but Borla headers are a waste of money IMHO. Miniscule to no power gains and an expensive installation.

BTW, your sig says Xerd headers. Which ones are you going with?
Old 03-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Elronn

Ok my bad on one thing...did not really make totally clear what I wanted...HOpefully won't have to start a new thread and people will check back....I have 1400 dollars to spend at moment...I will have more soon lol...On my car I pretty much want top of the line everything...If I am spending this kinda money on a car, i don't wanna go halfway on anything ya know....So what is the best exhaust you can buy....Intake....and so on....I was meaning like maybe yall had an opinion like an exhaust that cost 1200 or something...and was seeing what yalls would be...Did not mean 1400 as a pricing plan for the whole car...yall know what I am saying lol...let me know if I am still unclear..thanks for help so far.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:51 AM
350black

GAS?? At 3.00 a gal, you might need to save your money.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:05 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by Ricky
New Borla Shipped - $650
New CAI - $200 shipped
UR Crank Pully with Belt Shipped - $230

You'd still have $320 pocket money left.
i agree with Ricky but you need to add in another $60 or so and throw in the kinetix plenum. Or all of the above (with plenum) but cancel the CAI and get the jWT!
Old 03-28-2004, 07:25 AM
jesseenglish

Originally posted by Elronn
Ok my bad on one thing...did not really make totally clear what I wanted...HOpefully won't have to start a new thread and people will check back....I have 1400 dollars to spend at moment...I will have more soon lol...On my car I pretty much want top of the line everything...If I am spending this kinda money on a car, i don't wanna go halfway on anything ya know....So what is the best exhaust you can buy....Intake....and so on....I was meaning like maybe yall had an opinion like an exhaust that cost 1200 or something...and was seeing what yalls would be...Did not mean 1400 as a pricing plan for the whole car...yall know what I am saying lol...let me know if I am still unclear..thanks for help so far.
Even with that said, I still contend that the items I mentioned will get you the best performance. Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better. There's a trade off for everything.

These are the parts I'd put on, and still would even if I had all the money in the world.

Borla Exhaust
Kinetix Plenum
JWT Popcharger
UR crank pulleys

There was only one exhaust that had better overall gains. I believe it was the Nismo, but can't be certain. The difference was miniscule. Plus the Borla sound is awesome IMO. Do you want low deep rumble or loud F1 style exhaust. You've got to determine what sound you want. The performance gains of all of them are similar.

You have two choices for plenums - Crawford or Kinetix. Crawford is gorgeous, but requires you to send them your plenum as a core and requires a strut bar to be purchased from them. Kinetix is not as good looking, but can be changed back to the stock plenum because you get to keep yours. Plus you can maintain the factory strut bar and paint it if you're getting really motivated.

JWT Popcharger is the only intake I've seen with real performance gains.

UR crank pulleys only one choice there.

Rogue Engineering short shifter There's one other short shifter available, but it had manufacturing problems, thus the reason why you don't hear about them much on this board anymore.

So, what do you want? Performance, looks, sound, inexpensive. If you're looking for the most expensive items, just go Nismo, but if you want better performance there are better choices out there.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Jsn350Z

I got My Nismo Exhaust for 900 not including tax ( no shipping, was local ) and My High Flow cats were 435 with tax and shipping.

So that right there is your 1,400.

I know the Nismo Exhaust is more then the Borla that everyone is listing.

So either Borla exhaust, Kinetix Cats, Pop Charger, UR pullies. ( A plenum in place of the intake and pullieswould put it over 1,400 )

Or, Oviously My choice was Nismo Exhaust and Kinetix High Flow cats. Yeah It costs a bit more, but that is what I wanted.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Jsn350Z

Originally posted by Elronn
Part of my reason for going with Nismo Exhaust was because i only want high quality stuff on my car. I didnt get the crawford cays because they flow less then the others, and I didnt get the RT cats because they don't look like they have a cahnce at passing visual like the kinetix do. Plus I have herd nothign but good about the quality of kinetix parts.

Sure, the Borla makes a couple more rwhp, but that wasnt enough to make me want it, and oviously the cheaper price didnt effect my decision either.

I love the sound of the Nismo exhaust, the quality, the fitment, and so on.

Also, there have been a lot of videos of Nismo exhaust latley equipped with different types of high flow cats and I fell in love with the sound.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Jsn350Z

"There was only one exhaust that had better overall gains. I believe it was the Nismo, but can't be certain. The difference was miniscule. Plus the Borla sound is awesome IMO. Do you want low deep rumble or loud F1 style exhaust. You've got to determine what sound you want. The performance gains of all of them are similar."

Yes the performance is all very simular, which is why it should not effect your choice IMO.

In that test Borla made the most HP of any, while Injen was tied I think, but made more TQ. So I think Injen is the best for performance actually.

Also, all of the exhaust, EXCEPT for Nismo, lost some power below 1,800 rpms ( which might not matter to much ). Nismo kept the power up threw out the entire power band.

( Also, I don't like the tips on the Borla )

Quick Reply: 1400.00 Dollar Question