Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Burned an Audi S-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 10:15 PM
LA-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned an Audi S-4

Just had my second win, 2 out of 2. Audi S-4 Avanant, thing was pretty quick, and the turbos were loud as hell, do they have blow off valves stock? Anyway by end of third was a car length ahead, and that was without launching or revving at all. One thing I don't get is the third gear chrip, which a few people have described, plenty of second gear spin, and I accedently dropped clutch at 3.5K+ RPM and got serious wheel hop/spin. Car is amazing.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:01 PM
fr0ng

I think the Audi would have been even with you if you started from a launch. All wheel drive has a major advantage.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:36 PM
fr0ng

I don't care..hehe I hate my car. At the time, the new body Mustangs had just come out and I HAD to have one. I never really paid attention to Mustangs before I saw the 99+ models, and it was love at first sight. Back then, I'd be driving around and people would look at my car, and maybe I would see another one or two every week.

Now I see at least 50 a day. It's disgusting. I just hope the new Z's don't turn out like that, or i'll be pissed. I've learned a lesson though, I will NEVER buy another American car again. They are so underdeveloped. You give a 3.8 liter 6 cylinder engine to BMW and they will pump out over 350 horsepower with it. Screw American cars.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:34 AM
Phi-1002-

Have you ever driven an F-car with an LS1?

I have and I've also driven a stock TT 3000GT VR4. I was not impressed with the Mitsubishi after owning the Trans Am. The American V-8s may not be as power efficient as the foreign motors but you are making a pretty bold statement.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:40 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S4s are quick, and it doesn't take much to get a lot of power from them (just crank up the boost)... however, S4s are whales, weighing in at 3600lbs. (just like the VR4s)... So it goes to show you how much weight affects the performance of a car.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:48 AM
BigBadBuford

I like Japanese cars as much as everyone else, but I don't understand why everyone thinks that American cars are so technically deficient and that the Japanese and Germans are so much better. Look at the 5 litre in the M5. It makes approx. 400 hp with all of its technology. Now look at the LS6. It is only .7 litres larger, and puts out 405 hp with its "Antiquated" technology. I think even more power is in the works for the LS6. Even the LS1 makes a good amount of power. They are rated at 325 hp, but that is what they produce from the factory at the WHEELS, and I have dyno sheets to prove it. Not to mention the LS1 makes less pollution/mile than an H22 (just look at the factory ratings), and can pull 30+ mpg on the highway. American engines are designed to have torque, something all the high-strung, 100 hp/litre imports lack even with all their technology.
The biggest thing I don't understand is why everyone seems to think everything American is inferior, especially since we are all (or mostly all) Americans. I just don't get it...
Old 09-26-2002, 05:00 AM
John

Not to be knit-picky, but the M5 has a 4.4L V8.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:12 AM
Phi-1002-

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
Even the LS1 makes a good amount of power. They are rated at 325 hp, but that is what they produce from the factory at the WHEELS, and I have dyno sheets to prove it. Not to mention the LS1 makes less pollution/mile than an H22 (just look at the factory ratings), and can pull 30+ mpg on the highway. American engines are designed to have torque, something all the high-strung, 100 hp/litre imports lack even with all their technology.
I agree with your points whole-heartedly. My car, with only intake and exhaust mods, made 314 ft-lb rwtq and 315 rwhp. It was as torquey as I would want for a daily driver and It routinely turned in 26 mpg on the interstate @ 80 mph with the .50:1 6th gear. American performance cars are different because they are what the majority of muscle car fans are looking for. Maybe they're not for you, or for me for that matter. They're defintely not for the ricer crowd. That doesn't make them anitquated or sub-par though.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:26 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

umm.. isnt the avant a station wagon? i understand it still is an S4... but come on... i don't even waste the gas...

hey, there is a focus 5-door in my neighborhood... you want me to setup a race?

on a related note, i did house a boxster S on the Dallas Tollway last night. we did a rolling 50mph start, right after the most northern toll plaza... DFW peeps will know what i am talking about.

m
Old 09-26-2002, 05:47 AM
droideka

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
umm.. isnt the avant a station wagon? i understand it still is an S4... but come on... i don't even waste the gas...
So is the RS4. What's your point? Stage II S4s (chip,exhaust) will EAT OUR LUNCH. Don't get too cocky, or one might embarrass you.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:09 AM
rai

Originally posted by Hedonist
Not to be knit-picky, but the M5 has a 4.4L V8.
I'm pretty sure the M5 is a 5.0 L (or 4.9)

Anyway I don't think it's the american engines that are the problem (at least not the corvette's). Put the Z06 engine in a porsche and it would sell for $100K easy. The imports (at least to me) have more attention to detail and style than american cars.

I think the V8 in thunderbird even though its a multi valve job is putting out weak hp if compaired to the old tech of the 5.7L chevy. In fact the 4.6L thunderburd DOHC V8 is weaker than the 3.5L in the 350Z.

Also the M3/5 are hit with a gas guzziler tax as are a lot of the AMG's. The corvette and the Z06 get equal or better mpg than the 350Z, but are faster than the M cars.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:32 AM
MaxTR

M5 is a 4.9L
Old 09-26-2002, 07:11 AM
ezchief

Hey Ski,

Give those Boxsters the ****. I know where you were. I too live in Frisco off Main and Teal in Heather Ridge Estates. What time did you take him. I usually get to the booth at 7:00. Next time we'll make a sandwhich on those freakin Boxster pretty boys. God I hate them. Them and the Bimmers are always the ones scooting up the left side at the end of the tollway I feel better now. Serenity Now....Serenity Now.......
Old 09-26-2002, 07:27 AM
Michael-Dallas

Damn, what's up w/ all the Frisco peeps in da house? Do we need a Frisco meet?

Michael.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:08 AM
droideka

Originally posted by ezchief
Hey Ski,

Give those Boxsters the ****. I know where you were. I too live in Frisco off Main and Teal in Heather Ridge Estates. What time did you take him. I usually get to the booth at 7:00. Next time we'll make a sandwhich on those freakin Boxster pretty boys. God I hate them. Them and the Bimmers are always the ones scooting up the left side at the end of the tollway I feel better now. Serenity Now....Serenity Now.......
You're shitting me! You mean 720 and Teel, as in just due east of the Trails? How come I haven't seen you? I live on the backside of the western-side of the Trails.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:31 AM
ezchief

That's the one. Moved in in March....got the Z on 8-29. The only Z I have seen is on Spur 133 going on Preston. Tuesday night and I think it was Silver. We passed each other in opposite directions and gave the look. It was so cool. If he is out their, drop a thread or post a reply.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:40 AM
M3owner

I have driven american cars before, and I have driven Japanese and German cars. For some unexplained reason the Japanese and German cars simply FEEL BETTER to drive. I mean its not the power thing, cause the mustang that I drove had a lot of torque, and it pushed me back against my seat, but I felt disconnected to it. Same thing goes for the camaro Z28. When I drive I want to feel that the car is an extension of myself, this feeling is more closely achieved by german and japanese automakers IMHO.

Quick Reply: Burned an Audi S-4