Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is that a Porsche ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:42 PM
R.J._Vancouver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I`ve got the Porsche comment a lot. The funniest one was when it came from a kid walking by my house.
He was about 7 years old! :-) I invited him to come have a closer look, and let him sit in it. He told me his dad just bought a new Hemi Dodge truck.
Obviously, his dad is car guy, and seems to be passing it on :-)
Was cool to see.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:56 AM
TruBluZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tell'em SNOT a porsche...I have better ways of spending my money!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:40 AM
toddius

Default Re: Poor man's Porsche...

Originally posted by IsatteliteI
...the one that sticks out was when someone called it a poor man's Porsche... It kind of hit a nerve because although the Z doesn't have an $80k price tag, Nissan isn't exactly giving them away.
What car was this "someone" driving?

I play a little Xbox Live from time to time --hey, I just got the Z and can't drive it in the winter anyway:-)-- and this reminds me of a comment some kid made about the 350z the other night while I was playing Project Gotham (racing game).

It came up that another guy in the room had a 350z (in real life) and we started talking about it when this punk chimes in with "The 350z is slow as ***, blah, blah, blah." This, of course, because other cars in the game include the Enzo, Carrera GT, Koenigseggs, etc.

I did not hesitate, of course, to ask this kid what car he was driving if only to draw out the painful fact that he was not yet old enough to drive anything...
Old 04-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Sr. Panza

I've also been asked what kind of a Porsche my car was. It's also been called a poor man's Porsche by someone and a Japanese Porsche by someone else. It's all good with me.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:00 AM
BEAVR Z

Amazingly enough in pretentious Dallas i've gotten nothing but complements. Some folks will say it look kinda Porsche-like. I just respond with, "well, maybe a little." I DID have a guy in a Modena behind me get impatient that i was driving too slow. One minute he was in my rearview....the next, gone.

two funny stories though:

1- Filling up the other day (93 octane @ $1.83....gettin ugly) and a guy pulls up behind me in the mini-van w/ his wife. "Nice car man. I've driven on on my kid's X-box." I said thanks and smiled.

2- Coming back from Pep-Boys (decent microfiber towels there BTW). Guy pulls up next to me in beatup old pickup. Leans out the window and stars hollering at me. I turn the BLOSE down and look at him. Y'all seen the Dodge "that thang got a Hemi?" commercials? Yup, it looked like that guy. He asks, "Hey man, will that baby git sideways on ya?"

So, thats a Nerd compliment and a Redneck compliment. Makes my baby a winner in my book. Not a Porsche, but she DOES look better than my buddies '03 M3 convertible. 'course he doesn't know the power of Zaino, either.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Pusha Z
Banned

Default Re: same thing

Originally posted by SangWL
a couple weeks ago, i had an old guy, probably around 60 drive next to me in he's new M3 at a car wash. I get out of my car and start prepping for the car wash, he does the same.

he then comes up to me and says, "nice porsche"
i humbly told him, "sir, it isn't a porsche, its a nissan 350z."

he then gave me the most freakin snobby up tight look and said "oh its a nissan"

i then told him, "nice M5."

with the same expression he tells me. "its an M3."

i gave him the exact look he gave me and said, "my bad"

sang
hahaa reminds me when I had my TL-S and was about to trade it in and get a Z. A friend of mine who works at a gym was showing his no neck co worker my TL because it had a bunch of tasteful mods on it, like OEM kit, Wings West flushmount spoiler, 18" Advan Model 5s in bright chrome, Viper 790XV Responder auto start, etc. etc. anyways he says to me "I like your car but you should have gotten the 04 TL" without missing a beat I said "Yeah... I like your car but you should have gotten to 745" ahahaa my friend chuckled and they went back into the gym. damn hes still got a beautiful 740 BMW though ahaha
Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 AM
drivenCSZ

Ive gotten a few " what is that thing" comments and they always make me feel good because people take the time to ask they must be intrigued by it. But I always get people calling it a 300Z or a 350ZX or the worst one i think and i get it all the time a Z350 ???...arghh. I always have to correct them. 350Z people, C'mon.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Jsn350Z

I was cleaning off my wheels yesturday...

A guy walks up and goes mang are them rimz stock? I told him no and hes all 20's?! And I told him 19's. He then takes a closer look. My wheels are A matte finish silver, Volks, and he has no clue what volks are. So because of the matte finish... " So you got dem alloys huh, you shud have got chrome mang, dem look real clean. "

I just kinda said yeah with a half smile.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Jsn350Z

"93 octane @ $1.83....gettin ugly"

Getting ugly?!?!?!?!?!!?!

I pay $2.25 for 91 octane **** water! I'd be extreeeaamly happy with paying $ 1.83 for 93 octane.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 AM
BEAVR Z

Originally posted by Jsn350Z

I pay $2.25 for 91 octane **** water! I'd be extreeeaamly happy with paying $ 1.83 for 93 octane.

Well ugly for us here in da lone start state. I forgot to enable the "California user sensitivity" checkbox in my preferences

Ouch, $2.25 for 91 is brutal. The way i drive that would put me in the po' house. Maybe i should reconsider that relocation to San Diego.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM
erock

Originally posted by bitst0rm
Well ugly for us here in da lone start state. I forgot to enable the "California user sensitivity" checkbox in my preferences

Ouch, $2.25 for 91 is brutal. The way i drive that would put me in the po' house. Maybe i should reconsider that relocation to San Diego.

$2.36 - $2.46 for 91 Octane in SD.......

I've got the "looks like a porsche comment".
Old 04-05-2004, 01:28 PM
KrazY-2K

And the newest question from somebody:

"Is that a Spider?"

I just corrected them and told them what it was...
Old 04-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Splurt

believe it or not, I've actually gotten a comment from a girl asking if that was the new altima. I just looked at her and nodded. A couple of my friends said my car looks very porsche like. That's about it for look alike comments, but every once in a while I'll get a thumbs up from somebody on the freeway. $1.83 a gallon for 93 octane, man that was llike the price of gas here 2 years ago for 91
Old 04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by drivenCSZ
Ive gotten a few " what is that thing" comments and they always make me feel good because people take the time to ask they must be intrigued by it. But I always get people calling it a 300Z or a 350ZX or the worst one i think and i get it all the time a Z350 ???...arghh. I always have to correct them. 350Z people, C'mon.
My old man still calls it a Z350. And he likes the SC430 better. And he's the reason I became interested in Z cars to begin with.

It's okay, though, he's still my old man, and I'd sell my baby if I had to choose between her and him. Besides, he still likes riding in her.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:53 PM
longbowe

The Chevron 2 blocks from me, one of the cheapest in the Bay Area, is selling it for $2.339 today. Argh!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Jsn350Z

I use a Shell station near my Girlfriends house in Campbell for the $2.25 cheapest good gas I can find. Even Arco is the same price, and Rotten Robbies is MORE.

Its a Shell station on Santomas Aquino Rd. There is also a 76 Station across the street for the same price.

I see stations all over for almost $2.50, shesh...

On a side note, I went to drop my car off at the shop again, and on that 5 minute drive I got two thumbs up

Last edited by Jsn350Z; 04-05-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:17 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

and Rotten Robbies is MORE.
You know that you're out of the Bay Area when you have a Rotten Robbies nearby... I've have yet to see one of these as I've only heard of them in passing conversation
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Jsn350Z

Actually.... There is a Rotten Robbies RIGHT in the moddle of Los Gatos, and Los Gatos is deffinitly not a ghetto town by ANY means. There is also on in Saratoga, just about as expensive as LG, also one in Campbell which is still not tooo bad.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:13 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Hey Jas, I wasn't implying that LG was a ghetto town by any means... it was actually a nice quaint town IMO when I visited last. It's just that certain businesses take awhile to get to major metropolitan cities... like Dairy Queen. The only one that I've seen in California was in Fresno and I might've seen one in Santa Rosa (and that company is rather renowned). Heck, Krispy Kreme and Ikea took ages to get anywhere near the Bay Area. It's all good bro
Old 04-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Jsn350Z

Did I come off like I was defending something? My bad.. Wasnt trying to at all!

Just pointing out where some of them were and that they wernt in crappy areas. Sorry again if I came off the wrong way.

Quick Reply: Is that a Porsche ?