Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Autocrossing with an automatic - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Korrrion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocrossing with an automatic - Yay or Nay?

I think I just might have convinced my parents (as a b-day present) for me to be able to go to an autocross school event (16 years old, turning 17 in May), anyway how would an automatic fair in a learning event such as this?

They might let me take the 350Z (unforunately, automatic), however the automatic transmission in the Z also includes a "manual-mode" so you can control what gear you are in; although it is very sluggish compared to its clutch counterpart.

Do you think bringing in an automatic would be okay for an autocross learning event? How do automatics fair in actual autocross competitions?

I skimmed through the autocross forum on this site, and was unable to find any information regarding any automatics autocrossing (oh please say there are some automatics that do x-cross, PLEEASE); ah well.

Thanks for any feedback, P.S.- Any cool links regarding autocrossing/any words from the wise would be much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:55 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, since you are going to a school, it won't matter how fast you go, only that you learn. The Automatic will be fine for that.

Also, the Z has a pretty short 2nd gear and decent low end torque, so I have run every AutoX I've entered in 2nd the entire time. No shifting required.

I therefore don't think an Automatic would be much different than a manual. On a big track, it might make more of a difference, and the feel might change since you have the torque converter, but that might actually help smooth out the application of the throttle and might not really hurt things too much. My car is starting to get some backlash in the geartrain, and it is pretty much impossible to smoothly apply the gas. You won't have that problem.

If it were me, I'd stick the selector in manual mode, and just run the entire course in second gear.

I think you'll do fine and have lots of fun.

-D'oh!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:04 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to the San Francisco region AutoX information page. They have link on the FAQ page (near the bottom) to other SCCA regions so you may be able to find something closer to your location.

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/autox-links.html

Have fun!

-D'oh!