Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z to cobra

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:38 PM
supra crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 350z to cobra

Hey i own a 2003 350z and my transmission has been giving me trouble lately so i brought my car in to have it replaced after i brought it in i went home and looked up transmission problems in the repair section and there was a whole tread about 13 pages long of different people with there transmission replaces some even being replaced 3 times!! so i was thikning should i sell my Z and get a used 2003 mustang cobra i really like the exterior. it looks really aggresive and was asking my friends if i should get it most said yes but only one said no hes the only one who even has a car he said there cheap so i was wondering what do you guys think about this should i get a 2003 cobra 380hp stock or keep the z i also like the cobra because it is easyier to upgrade.

I was also thinking about a Evo but i sat in one today and the interior is crappy and it looks like crap.

Thanks
please reply
Old 04-05-2004, 12:24 AM
BDM

If you think there are quality issues on a Japanese car, you should definitely steer clear of US cars.

Next, the computer will make as many of those funny little dots as you need, see ............................................................ .....................................
............................................................ ............................................
............................................................ .............................................
............................................................ .............................................

So there's no reason to be so stingy with them.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 AM
350black

Cobra is a ford. If you think that you have problems with a Nissan, just try driving a ford. (Found On Road Dead.)
Old 04-05-2004, 04:16 AM
robcassell

mustang agressive looking? WOW ok yeah you need to get a cavalier instead those things are fierce
Old 04-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Dissolved

'03 cobras are bad ***. But I will never drive american again. First off, all the torque would get me in trouble with tires spinning again. Second, I'm asian so I feel closer to my roots in an asian car (just kidding )
My trannies been replaced once and is better than stock. IMHO the Z is the best sports car for the price (new) under $60k. I have all the little problems everyone else has with my '03, and will never sell it.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:01 AM
shimz350z

are you crazy?...as far as exterior is concerned it's already getting old quick(the design)
-interior?...let's just say tragic
-engine power-makes up for the rest.

to compromise.....no way...unless you get the new mustang/cobra(i'm assuming they'll have one)

the z is awesome because it has the look of a both smooth and tough curves. (one member said something in the lines of "the z looks like is going 80 mph hour when it's parked!" i concur
Old 04-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why get the 03 when the new Mustang is coming out soon? I would just wait for the new model, even though they will be selling the old ones for a song closer to the new Mustang's release date. It's a great car, but it's going to look out of date real soon.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:13 AM
shanedog

I was between my 04 Z Roadster, or an 04 Cobra. Honestly the Cobra is twice as fast, it will take $6,000 or $7,000 to make a Z run with it. Plus, if you bit $1,400 into the Cobra you are making nearly twice the RWHP as a Z. Performance, its all Cobra. However, the interior is virtually unchanged from 1994, and the exterior is getting old. When the 05 comes out in about 6 months the value of that car will likely drop....big time. Hold on to the Z then buy your Cobra after the 05's come out. Or buy a new 03, dealers in KC are taking $5,000 off on all new 03's.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:30 AM
steves

I had an 2001 Cobra and traded it in for my 350. I loved the Cobra but after test driving the 350, the Cobra felt old (the platfrom the Cobra is built on was designed in the 70's). When ever I would drive my Cobra it felt like something was missing, (it just wasn't perfect like the 350, or an M3, ect.). If you are looking for a car that you can find performance parts for it anywhere, and get huge hp gains for cheap, and don't mind the annoying wheel hop (I've driven a Supercharged one and the suspension fix they said they did to stop the wheel hop didn't do much, remember the Mustang was designed to have a solid rear axle) the Cobra is the way to go. If you like the way your 350 drives then I suggest you don't get the Cobra because it drives like it's a 25 year old car.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Z33Concept

GET A 04 or 05 do not get a worser car
Old 04-05-2004, 01:03 PM
supra crazy

Originally posted by Daytona
Why get the 03 when the new Mustang is coming out soon? I would just wait for the new model, even though they will be selling the old ones for a song closer to the new Mustang's release date. It's a great car, but it's going to look out of date real soon.
thnks for all the replys and i have to get a used one because my dad said he is not paying any more money on my car if i want a different one and i am saving up for a used gsxr750.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Setter32

Originally posted by supra crazy
thnks for all the replys and i have to get a used one because my dad said he is not paying any more money on my car if i want a different one and i am saving up for a used gsxr750.
If I was your dad, I wouldn't give you anymore money either. At least until you learn how to use periods (example of the specie = ".") and commas (example of the specie = ","). It doesn't have to be perfect. It just need to look like you're trying.

And considering your age (I'm guessing in the teens), I'll give you 3 months max on the gix before you and the fairing meet the pavement. For your sake, I hope it'll be at slow speed and you'll be wearing a helmet. Unless you're the 3rd Bostrom brother or a racer, the Gix750 is way too much bike for you. I usually talk out of my ***, but not on this one. Be smart, get something smaller.

Not trying to be mean kid, just giving you a reality check.

Ok. This arsehole is done. Good luck kid.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:19 PM
samw1978

you think EVO's interior is crappy? Cobra's won't be better...

Cobra is fast on straights, but the look, quality, handling all make me
Old 04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
JST4FN

I can chime in on this one since I traded my 03 Cobra for my Z. I've been a Ford man since before I could drive and I have owned over 15 stangs, including SVO's a 93 Cobra,and a 03 Cobra. I've also owned a few Lightnings too,so you can say I know Ford products pretty well. When I first got my Cobra I loved it. Awesome power from the factory, 6 speed and supercharged. I loved the paint(Sonic Blue) and the IRS rode nice.

Then little problems started developing until finally they became major. I could not justify spending 35000 on the car anymore and brand loyality doesn't always mean you have to be stuborn or stupid. The car was developed to fast and unforunately it is not a good product. The problems I had are very common and they seemed to multiply daily. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Now I just worry about the tire feathering....but all cars have some sort of problems I guess.

Thanks Mike
Old 04-05-2004, 07:52 PM
chaserolls

what kind of problems did you have with your 03 cobra? Although I don't myself own one, but a friend of mine has one with upgraded pulleys and various other go-fast parts.

As for reliability, the 03 cobra has been reinforced very well. It has a t-56 6-spd tranny (same tranny as zo6 and viper) and a strong clutch. The IRS is a big step up from the previous years, it significantly improves handling, but has a minor difficulty hooking-up off the line. Most people prefer the IRS overall drivability over the live-axle of previous years and other models.

I have had my fare share of Fords and I have been very impressed with their quality. Although the ergonomics of the 03 cobra might be slightly outdated, it isn't any other worse than most non-luxury cars.

Personally, I think you should keep your Z. Having a slower Z is better than a crashed Cobra. Instead of spending $ on a cobra, I'd reccommend spending some money on a race-car driving school

like www.braggsmith.com
Old 04-06-2004, 12:32 AM
djspeks

Ford can also mean: Fix Or Repair Daily
Old 04-06-2004, 04:06 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by JST4FN
I can chime in on this one since I traded my 03 Cobra for my Z. I've been a Ford man since before I could drive and I have owned over 15 stangs, including SVO's a 93 Cobra,and a 03 Cobra. I've also owned a few Lightnings too,so you can say I know Ford products pretty well. When I first got my Cobra I loved it. Awesome power from the factory, 6 speed and supercharged. I loved the paint(Sonic Blue) and the IRS rode nice.

Then little problems started developing until finally they became major. I could not justify spending 35000 on the car anymore and brand loyality doesn't always mean you have to be stuborn or stupid. The car was developed to fast and unforunately it is not a good product. The problems I had are very common and they seemed to multiply daily. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Now I just worry about the tire feathering....but all cars have some sort of problems I guess.

Thanks Mike
i second chaserolls question. What kind of problems did you have? I thought the '03 cobras were rock solid?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:17 AM
shanedog

And considering your age (I'm guessing in the teens), I'll give you 3 months max on the gix before you and the fairing meet the pavement. For your sake, I hope it'll be at slow speed and you'll be wearing a helmet. Unless you're the 3rd Bostrom brother or a racer, the Gix750 is way too much bike for you. I usually talk out of my ***, but not on this one. Be smart, get something smaller.

I completely disagree, my first bike (I got it when I was 17) was a 1995 GSXR 750, I loved the bike. All my other friends had 600's and they all got bored and outgrew them pretty quick. Hell, I only had my 750 about 6 months before I stepped up to a CBR1100XX. Always go bigger, you can drive it like a 250 if you want to for a while, and that way 6 months down the road you don't have to buy another bike. JMO
Old 04-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Setter32

Originally posted by shanedog

I completely disagree, my first bike (I got it when I was 17) was a 1995 GSXR 750, I loved the bike. All my other friends had 600's and they all got bored and outgrew them pretty quick. Hell, I only had my 750 about 6 months before I stepped up to a CBR1100XX. Always go bigger, you can drive it like a 250 if you want to for a while, and that way 6 months down the road you don't have to buy another bike. JMO
Oh, if I had a nickle for every time. Just curious, do you ride tracks?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 AM
shanedog

Originally posted by Setter32
Oh, if I had a nickle for every time. Just curious, do you ride tracks?
No I really don't. I just do street riding, getting into the occational street race. I have been to the local drag strip a few times on 2 of my bikes as well. I have just come to accept that no matter how fast you are, it is never enough!

Quick Reply: 350z to cobra