Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:19 AM
flapmeisterz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who within the last year beat a 111 mph in a 65 mph ticket, I can sympathize with your situation. I don't know what the fines are where you live, but here in OH if you just got speeding, speeding is considered speeding whether you were going 66 or 120 and carries the same fine (here in OH it was $75)

As the cop gets paid to show up in court, many departments will look at what the fine is versus what will be spent by having the officer show in court, and he will be advised to appear or not. I got lucky and the cop didn't show up.

Another thing that may play against you, if you get a judge that is a hard case. I actually talked to a couple of lawyers, who both refused to take my case due to the judge that was assigned. Their basic arguement was that they wouldn't do any better than I could do talking directly to her. Had the cop shown, she would have imposed stiffer penalties against me than what I would have gotten without appearing in court.

All in all, I would advise you to get a GOOD attorney that does nothing but traffice cases. They know the people at the courthouse and usually can work miracles.

Good luck to you...
Old 04-07-2004, 07:37 AM
myehrick09

Default Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Originally posted by ElBombastico
Well, it was bound to happen. My first ticket in the Z. Got caught doing 100 in 65 zone on I-85 N, but i didn't go to jail. The only reason, according to the cop, is because i was an Organ Donor. God, the only day where i didn't take my Valantine V1

Now my question is, will my license get suspened because of this? Should i plead no-lo or should i just pay the fine and get it over with? My last ticket was 2 years ago for running a red light. Should i hire a lawyer for this?

i'm so screwed right now..........
I don't think they will suspend your license (depends on who the cop is) I got pulled over 4 years ago doing 126 on a 70. The only thing he did to me was he let me step out of the car and sit with him on his cruiser and showed me how fast was i really going. He then told me to call the number at the back of the violation form and I'll know what my fine is. I just told him plain and simple that it was my fault and Im sorry.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:30 AM
CLS

Originally posted by Dissolved
Get a GOOD laywer. It will help tremdendously. Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but you were foolish for speeding like that without your detector. This one's on you bud
I agree! But it is so easy to get caught up in it in Atlanta. Everyone drives so fast. Just the other day I was doing it on 285 with 3 other cars and didnt even realize I was going that fast.

EL: where was it on 85?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Ya thats what sucks about altanta, posted speed is between 55-65 in the city. And no one drives under 85.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 AM
alphaz

Bad luck Dude.
I left the Z meeting last night and was running 85 + up I-85 . I also didnot have my V1 , because I just picked up the Z from the body shop. I'm going to have to slow down some. My advice is to get a real good laywer.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

While the cop may take your license on the spot.. its the Judge or DMV that suspend your license.. not the cop.

The cop has no say in the penalties.

At least here in VA.. the judge has no say in the DMV points either.. its all DMV.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:02 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Years ago had a similar situation. Got a lawyer and he got it lowered from driving to endanger (because of excessive speed) to a simple speeding ticket. Don't sweat it.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 AM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by CLS
I agree! But it is so easy to get caught up in it in Atlanta. Everyone drives so fast. Just the other day I was doing it on 285 with 3 other cars and didnt even realize I was going that fast.

EL: where was it on 85?
I-85 N, right under the Steve Reynolds Blvd. Bridge. It was a motorcycle cop sitting under bridge gunning with his radar.

He was wearing a Black jacket, sirens off, black helmet, aviator sunglasses, full white beard, and a THICK southern accent. The personification of a pure southern cop. I didn't even notice the cop until i passed him at around 95 mph. Then he flagged me down.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:53 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

O.J. killed two people (ok, my personal opinion!), went to court, and was found not guilty. Do not EVER plead guilty. Get a lawyer and odds are pretty good that it will at least get reduced, often to a non-moving violation with no points that boost your insurance rates. Remember, just becasue "you did it" does not make you guilty in a court of law.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:44 PM
longbowe

Default Re: Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Originally posted by milanista
I got a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago. Since this is my 4th ticket in a year, and i already went to traffic school for the first one, and since I've already received my negligent driver notice from dmv a few months back, I figured I have to contest the ticket and hope for the best. I looked up a lawyer specializing in traffic cases, and went to see him yesterday during my lunch hour. He basically looked at my copy ofthe ticket, he said he was going to request a copy of the original ticket (both front and back of it, as officers write notes on the back of them for future reference), and was going to arrange the court dates, as well as represent me when the case came up. He said I may still have to appear in court, though. So, basically he was going to type a letter to send to the traffic court to request a copy of the tickect (he said that the traffic court may not even send him a copy of the ticket), and also was going to set up an appearance date. All this for $1500. I obviously thanked him and left.
If that ticket is the only one you got, I'd say pay the ticket and go to traffic school, if the law in Georgia lets you.
Hey, how much does your lawyer charge? I just got my warning of negligence a week or two ago after my last ticket, from August, finally settled onto my record. I just got another ticket a month ago, and I'm trying to weigh my options. It was 52 in a 35 and illegal change-of-lane (like I had time to think about the blinker while I was trying to avoid hitting someone).

I seem to get all my tickets for 15 over, more or less. At least Bombastico can now say to his grandkids that he got pulled over for doing 35 over.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:45 PM
ElBombastico

Default Re: Re: Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Originally posted by longbowe
Hey, how much does your lawyer charge? I just got my warning of negligence a week or two ago after my last ticket, from August, finally settled onto my record. I just got another ticket a month ago, and I'm trying to weigh my options. It was 52 in a 35 and illegal change-of-lane (like I had time to think about the blinker while I was trying to avoid hitting someone).

I seem to get all my tickets for 15 over, more or less. At least Bombastico can now say to his grandkids that he got pulled over for doing 35 over.
my lawyer quoted me $1500 flat rate.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:14 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I got a reckless reduced to an "improper lane usage"..........GET A LAWYER !!!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:39 PM
silver&black03
Banned

next time hit the gas and not the brakes
Old 04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

That works 2 outa 3 times.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:01 PM
RacerX68

Originally posted by jovasi
He didn't arrest you because you are an organ donor?????
yeah, i was suprised just as much as you were.
I think that if you are an organ donor they should just let you go as fast as you want to. That way your organs will get donated that much faster.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:09 AM
alex30327

Default Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Well, it was bound to happen. My first ticket in the Z. Got caught doing 100 in 65 zone on I-85 N, but i didn't go to jail. The only reason, according to the cop, is because i was an Organ Donor. God, the only day where i didn't take my Valantine V1

Now my question is, will my license get suspened because of this? Should i plead no-lo or should i just pay the fine and get it over with? My last ticket was 2 years ago for running a red light. Should i hire a lawyer for this?

i'm so screwed right now..........

Dude,

Definitely get a lawyer! I live in Atlanta as well, and my buddy got two tickets in one month one doing ~96 in a 75 zone, and another for 100 in a 55 zone. He tried to just pay the tickets by sending them in, but with a 100MPH ticket, he was told that he had to come in person and pay the fine. He did not get arrested by the Pig that pulled him over, but got arrested and thrown in jail when he went to court to pay the fine. The judge sentenced him to 40 days in fulton county jail. He spent 5 days in jail, till he got a good lawyer to get him out. His situation is different than yours, becuse he got two major tickets in the same month, and the judge did not think this was funny. Make sure you get a good lawyer!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:28 AM
ElBombastico

Default Re: Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Originally posted by alex30327
Dude,

Definitely get a lawyer! I live in Atlanta as well, and my buddy got two tickets in one month one doing ~96 in a 75 zone, and another for 100 in a 55 zone. He tried to just pay the tickets by sending them in, but with a 100MPH ticket, he was told that he had to come in person and pay the fine. He did not get arrested by the Pig that pulled him over, but got arrested and thrown in jail when he went to court to pay the fine. The judge sentenced him to 40 days in fulton county jail. He spent 5 days in jail, till he got a good lawyer to get him out. His situation is different than yours, becuse he got two major tickets in the same month, and the judge did not think this was funny. Make sure you get a good lawyer!
where is a 75 mph zone in Atlanta? 70 mph zone i know of is mostly in the subarbs, like near Mall of GA. if i got caught there, i would be only 25 over. go figure
Old 04-08-2004, 08:31 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by flynnibus
While the cop may take your license on the spot.. its the Judge or DMV that suspend your license.. not the cop.

The cop has no say in the penalties.

At least here in VA.. the judge has no say in the DMV points either.. its all DMV.
Here in Jersey it's like that too. The judge decides the offense and the fine, but the MVC (DMV) handles the points.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:52 AM
alex30327

Default Re: Re: Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

where is a 75 mph zone in Atlanta? 70 mph zone i know of is mostly in the subarbs, like near Mall of GA. if i got caught there, i would be only 25 over. go figure

Opps mistype, I ment 70MPH zone, and this ticket was outside Atlanta on 85 North past 316.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:14 PM
ElBombastico

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Originally posted by alex30327
Opps mistype, I ment 70MPH zone, and this ticket was outside Atlanta on 85 North past 316.
heh, you got caught near where i live!

Quick Reply: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds