Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 01:23 PM
ProjectAlpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Page 4 OWN3D!
Heres the best way to avoid points on your record without having to get a lawyer and Ive actually done this and it worked. Go to your court date, plead guilty, depending on the judge, he/she will probably reduce the fine. They will give you a due amount by a certain date. Mail that payment in but over pay by about 20 dollars or so. After a few weeks, you should get a refund amount for the amount you over paid on your ticket, when you recieve that check, DO NOT CASH OUT OR DEPOSIT THAT CHECK. Because the check was never cashed out, the courts cannot put the paper work through to DMV therefore the point will never go on your record. I live in Northern California and have done this and have had friends do this and it has worked, not too sure about Georgia though.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:24 AM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by ProjectAlpha
Page 4 OWN3D!
Heres the best way to avoid points on your record without having to get a lawyer and Ive actually done this and it worked. Go to your court date, plead guilty, depending on the judge, he/she will probably reduce the fine. They will give you a due amount by a certain date. Mail that payment in but over pay by about 20 dollars or so. After a few weeks, you should get a refund amount for the amount you over paid on your ticket, when you recieve that check, DO NOT CASH OUT OR DEPOSIT THAT CHECK. Because the check was never cashed out, the courts cannot put the paper work through to DMV therefore the point will never go on your record. I live in Northern California and have done this and have had friends do this and it has worked, not too sure about Georgia though.
hmm, i didn't know you can overpay your ticket.

a friend of mine got a ticket and didn't have enough money to pay it when the court date came. they put him on probation and made him pay the ticket.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:50 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

The overpay thing is an old myth now. It was published long long ago as a way to get around it. That crap doesn't work anymore.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
ProjectAlpha

Hmm, thats interesting cause its worked for me on more than 1 occasion.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:11 AM
shanedog

I got a ticket doing 135 in a 45.....yes 90 over a few years ago in my Mustang. The best thing you can do is go to court, be as nice as you possibly can to the judge, show remorse and that you learned a lesson. I got away with only paying a $100 fine. It worked out quite well, he even complimented me on my honesty and manners.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:44 AM
dchengmd

Originally posted by ProjectAlpha
Page 4 OWN3D!
This is completely false. It's even been mentioned at the Snopes Urban Legends website here:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

"Some people claim that they've tried this scheme and it worked, and though it's certainly possible some people who overpaid their traffic tickets never saw any points go on their records, most likely that was a result of coincidence, not cause-and-effect. As most anyone who's dealt with the DMV knows, things do slip through the cracks now and then, just rarely in your favor. If you feel that spending three extra dollars in the hopes of keeping a ticket off your record is a worthwhile gamble, go ahead and try it. You're likely to be disappointed with the results, though."
Old 05-21-2004, 11:43 AM
ElBombastico

UPDATE: My court date is about 2 weeks away now (June 7)and i have decided to get a lawyer. Its a friend of my dad's, so the cost of the lawyer isnt a problem now.

He advised me to take the Defensive Driving Course BEFORE the court date (already signed up for this saturday's class). do you think this is a good idea? perhaps the judge will see this and go easy on me.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:04 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow your attorney's advice. He knows a heck of a lot more than anyone on this board. I assume he is going to court with you?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:03 PM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
Follow your attorney's advice. He knows a heck of a lot more than anyone on this board. I assume he is going to court with you?
of course.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Ralphus

Why do these traffic lawyers you guys get cost so much?

I've had two, one charged me $100 and the other $120. Both of them got me deferred ajudication or whatever which means if you don't get another ticket within 90 days it disappears. (You do have to pay the fines though).

$1500 sounds really high to me for a traffic lawyer...
Old 05-22-2004, 03:28 PM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by Ralphus
Why do these traffic lawyers you guys get cost so much?

I've had two, one charged me $100 and the other $120. Both of them got me deferred ajudication or whatever which means if you don't get another ticket within 90 days it disappears. (You do have to pay the fines though).

$1500 sounds really high to me for a traffic lawyer...
i didnt go with the $1500 lawyer. a friend of the family is charging me $200.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:31 PM
ElBombastico

*UPDATE*

i just took the defensive driving school today. i learned a little bit, but mostly on things i already knew, but at least its going to take 7 points off my license!

also, for a 6 hour course, the instuctor dismissed us with the certificate of completion after and hour and a half!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:27 AM
ElBombastico

Conclusion:

I went to court today and came out with only a $100 ticket (plus $25 court fee).

The driving school gave me $100 off of my fine. and because the ticket was 6 points and the school gave me 7 points off, its better than before i got the ticket. the only bad part is a little higher insurance rate. oh well, thats what i have to pay i guess.

but all in all, the price of going 100 mph? $325 (including lawyer) plus 30 minutes in court.

i gotta say today was a good day!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:20 AM
mofoz

Im glad things worked out for you. Lets not forget that V1 again
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Zcool

You're really lucky you live in GA. Get caught doing that speed in CA and you might lose your D.L for a while. Anyhow, I'm glad it worked out for you and I'm sure you learned a lesson.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:23 PM
AZZGUY

Yes, by the way -what was the lesson? A better Passport??
Old 06-08-2004, 05:26 AM
Demolition Man

first night of the z, coming back from the dealer, was going 145 in a 65 zone (statie only got me at 125, because i slowed for a curve). went to driving school, paid 15% less on the fine, no points, no insurance change.

florida rocks
Old 06-08-2004, 11:07 AM
dogfish1

Originally posted by Z04
now before y'all get bent out of shape i will explain it. if i got caught doing that speed i would pay my fine because i broke the law, plain and simple. i would not come onto a car forum board and cry about it trying to justify my own stupidity for breaking the law.
Why did you buy a Z if you never drive it fast. 100 MPH comes so quick; heck I do that when I am merging. Based on your somewhat silly comments I get the impression you never drove your Z over the speed limit.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:52 PM
boldenmd

Originally posted by dogfish1
Why did you buy a Z if you never drive it fast. 100 MPH comes so quick; heck I do that when I am merging. Based on your somewhat silly comments I get the impression you never drove your Z over the speed limit.
I find that the Z is a pleasure to drive at any speed. It doesn't have to be driven fast to be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:02 PM
dcwilson

Originally posted by boldenmd
I find that the Z is a pleasure to drive at any speed. It doesn't have to be driven fast to be appreciated.
blah blah blah, if you drive it correctly, you are at 100mph when you grab 6th, get yourself an SUV!

Quick Reply: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds