Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

doing a standing burnout in a stock Z...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doing a standing burnout in a stock Z...

you know, one of those when you drop the clutch and hold the brake when flooring the car ... i've never tried it in my Z (6mt), but someone at the track told me i need to disconnect the brake fuse? i used to think this was only for the auto Z's i would just go out and try it but i've never done it and if it didn't work i'd probably think i was just doing something wrong i need to start heating up my tires at the track!

p.s. while we're on the subject, how do you do your standing burnouts?

*search is down*
Old 04-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Silverstone_350

rev to 3500 or higher, dump the clutch, and hit the brakes

yaaaaay

oh yea, don't forget to turn TCS OFF! I kinda forgot to do that yesterday in front of some people, and it wuz kinda embarassing. But once I realized what I did wrong, I just went ahead and did some donuts to make up for the not so hot burnout. Left some nice circles in my school library's parking lot
Old 04-10-2004, 02:11 PM
joe56

can it be done with an AT?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:19 PM
jesseenglish

Originally posted by Silverstone_350
rev to 3500 or higher, dump the clutch, and hit the brakes
I've only tried it once at the dragstrip. I did pretty much exactly what you describe and the engine bogged down like it was cutting throttle. TCS was definitely off. I wondered at the time whether 6MT's need to have the brakelight fuse removed also, but I never tried it again.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Melissa

works for at and mt.....with the fuse in it cuts power by 30% when the brake light comes on......

wouldnt recomend it on the streets ...you have more to worry about when the car behind you slams into your ***....lol
Old 04-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Silverstone_350

Originally posted by jesseenglish
I've only tried it once at the dragstrip. I did pretty much exactly what you describe and the engine bogged down like it was cutting throttle. TCS was definitely off. I wondered at the time whether 6MT's need to have the brakelight fuse removed also, but I never tried it again.
in no way am I claiming to be an expert at this, as I've only been driving stick since I took delivery of my Z... but this is what I do

1- TCS off
2- rev to about 3500-4000 (this seems a little high, but I've only done this maybe 3 times so I haven't really experimented yet)
3- dump the clutch
4- hit the brakes
5- give it more gas to make sure that a) you don't stall and b) you make a lot of smoke and leave a nice mark

Hope this helps. I haven't touched my brake fuse at all, so it is possible to do this without disconnecting the fuse. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Melissa

pull the fuse...youll be suprised how much easier it is.....like i stated before when the brakes come on it cuts power by 30%
Old 04-10-2004, 05:02 PM
JimRHIT

Well ... I am able to do one by just dumping it at 4k and spinning away.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:30 PM
gmitro

Default Brakes

Thanks for the info Melissa. I had a feeling that applying the brakes and accelerator together led to some cut in power. Where did the 30% number come from? Do you think (or know) the 30% figure is independent of how much brake force is applied? Thanks.

Greg
Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 PM
jEzTeR

I wondered what was wrong when I tried to do a burnout.It was wet out and it still spun well but took more throttle than I thought it would.

I revved to 3k or so and dropped the clutch at the track on my last run the other night.I had herd that "Heating your tires" on street tires was just a waste of time and tire.I cut my 60ft from 2.47 to 2.05!So tell me was it all in my head or did the small burnout help?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

when you said "hit the brakes", do you mean step on the break pedal and hold it or just tap it and let go?

also, when you pull the brake fuse, will the brake function still works?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:10 PM
mapleleafzzz

ive, never done one, a brakestand that is, but im going to go out on a limb here and say hold the brake pedal down.......mind u i find the z has plenty enuff to just just drop the clutch and burn away, that tends to keep the local street punks happy enuff
Old 04-11-2004, 06:00 AM
orhanz33

what does the brakefuse do? will it automatically work as soon as i pull it? will it automatically serve it's purpose when i put it back in? where/how do i get to it? i only plan on doing this at the track...
Old 04-11-2004, 06:06 AM
Melissa

Originally posted by JimRHIT
Well ... I am able to do one by just dumping it at 4k and spinning away.
yea thats real easy on your drivetrain....see you in the shop when you need a new rear and axles
Old 04-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Melissa

Default Re: Brakes

Originally posted by gmitro
Thanks for the info Melissa. I had a feeling that applying the brakes and accelerator together led to some cut in power. Where did the 30% number come from? Do you think (or know) the 30% figure is independent of how much brake force is applied? Thanks.

Greg
this was all discussed some time ago but since the search is down i figured id speak up....its not based on pressure aplied...its a simple on -off like your brake light switch
Old 03-27-2005, 08:46 PM
unstable

Originally Posted by Silverstone_350
in no way am I claiming to be an expert at this, as I've only been driving stick since I took delivery of my Z... but this is what I do

1- TCS off
2- rev to about 3500-4000 (this seems a little high, but I've only done this maybe 3 times so I haven't really experimented yet)
3- dump the clutch
4- hit the brakes
5- give it more gas to make sure that a) you don't stall and b) you make a lot of smoke and leave a nice mark

Hope this helps. I haven't touched my brake fuse at all, so it is possible to do this without disconnecting the fuse. Good luck!

Yea it does work but it looks and feels like crap... When I've done it I started by rev'n up to 4k and heel toe the brake in, then dump the clutch... all of a sudden the rpm's drop like a brick the SLOWLY start coming up again... it take like 5 to 8 seconds before you actually have your tires spinning at a good rate and get some smoke.
Without the fuse its a totally diff story... Go try for yourself.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Destiny350Z

I have a AT and I was wondering what would happen if I turned off the TCS and put my Z in Nuetral and rev to 3000 and dropped it in to drive what would happen? Would I get a burnout or a nice trip to the shop?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:24 PM
RED HOT Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question when you guys try to burnout does our shifter start to shake violently as your doing the burnout and slowly rolling away the whole car seems to shake
Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
sokudo9l6

Originally Posted by Destiny350Z
I have a AT and I was wondering what would happen if I turned off the TCS and put my Z in Nuetral and rev to 3000 and dropped it in to drive what would happen? Would I get a burnout or a nice trip to the shop?
You'll get a burn out if you hold the brakes like what the 6mt does to do a burnout. I seen my friend did it once on his car...i was surprised on how well he pulled it off. BTW that's called a neutral drop...i wouldn't do it too much on a auto tranny.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Destiny350Z

Originally Posted by sokudo9l6
You'll get a burn out if you hold the brakes like what the 6mt does to do a burnout. I seen my friend did it once on his car...i was surprised on how well he pulled it off. BTW that's called a neutral drop...i wouldn't do it too much on a auto tranny.
Thank you very much, now I will have to go try it!!

Quick Reply: doing a standing burnout in a stock Z...