Weak Windshields?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004 | 12:07 PM
Z Shadow

Angry Weak Windshields?

I've been driving for 18 years and have had numerous vehicles

I've gotten only one broken ( star ) in my windshield

In the last three months I've gotten 2

This car has the lowest angled winshield of any car I've owned.

What gives bad luck or are others experiencing this problem?

Old 04-12-2004 | 12:34 PM
JawKnee

I was actually wondering about this the other day.

I replaced a windshield after 3,575 miles with another OEM unit -- received a huge crack from a rock. Then around the 5k mark, I got a nice ding from yet another rock which was filled 2-3 days afterwards. Unfortunately, I think it's starting to spread.

I now have 8,770 miles on the car.
Old 04-12-2004 | 01:07 PM
mode101

Is it just me, or does everything on the car seem delicate. Like it scratches, chips, or dents really easy ?
Old 04-12-2004 | 01:47 PM
DrCold

I think the Z windshield is very weak. I've never had a crack in any off my cars, and I get the Z and I have one in less than a year. Oh well, the price you pay I guess.
Old 04-12-2004 | 02:48 PM
failsafe
....for your health
Premier Member

I had about 1,200 miles on my car when a rock hit my windshield about an inch from the A pillar on the drivers side- immediate 4 inch crack. OEM windshield from Nissan runs ~800 plus labor. I had the windshield replaced with PPG for $330 P&L. The guy who installed the windshield said he had quite a few Z's in recent months. I've had one tiny ding on the PPG sine it was installed (20K on car now).
Old 04-12-2004 | 02:59 PM
rattycat

I also have a 'high' 4x4 and I have had to replace the windshield three times arleady - so it isn't how low to the ground the vehicle is overall.

My area has lots of SUV's and 'higher than high pick-up trucks'. What I do notice about these vehicles is the lack of mud flaps or tire guards. I have mud flaps on my 4x4 which prevents flying pebbles, debris, etc., kicked up and/or stuck within the treads.

I know from my experience and my windshields that I've replaced, this is the factor I've suffered from when unfortunately following behind such a vehicle.
Old 04-12-2004 | 03:06 PM
grifferjr

Originally posted by rattycat
I also have a 'high' 4x4 and I have had to replace the windshield three times arleady - so it isn't how low to the ground the vehicle is overall.

My area has lots of SUV's and 'higher than high pick-up trucks'. What I do notice about these vehicles is the lack of mud flaps or tire guards. I have mud flaps on my 4x4 which prevents flying pebbles, debris, etc., kicked up and/or stuck within the treads.

I know from my experience and my windshields that I've replaced, this is the factor I've suffered from when unfortunately following behind such a vehicle.
first of i agree that this car is some kind of magnet for road debris. on one of my first major road trips i caught a huge rock that chuncked my windshield and to top it off the weather that night, (the day was unusually warm for november), got below freezing and even with the car garaged it accelerated the spidering. luckily it was filled for free by my insurance. if i had to have replaced the windshield i would have had to met the deductible. well that was my lesson. the next chance I got I bit the bullet and changed my insurance to 0 dollar deductible on comprehensive, just in case the z is a magnet for other things, like shopping carts. hah.
Old 04-12-2004 | 03:32 PM
Grommit

I had a rock about 1 inch round bounce off a car infront of me and land about 3 inches from the bottom middle of the windshield and it bounced off without leaving any marks except for a tiny (less then 2 mm) crater. I was going around 65MPH. I was just happy that it didn't land on my hood!

I also had some kid drop a rock off of an overpass and it landed on my side of the windshield and it bounced off without leaving any marks at all.

I have a 2004.5 Z so maybe they changed the glass?
Old 04-12-2004 | 03:59 PM
ranger5oh

I dont know that my car is a magnet, but I just notice all the little imperfections more.

Yes, my windsheild has 2 chips.
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:17 PM
jaa1755

I had my Z for 30 damn minutes when a pebble flew up and put a crater in the windsheild. I got it filled the next day, and so far, so good.

I just try to keep from lingering behind SUVs, trucks, or anything with larger tires or less than adequate protection (Yes, that includes you, Mr. dump truck, with your gravel falling out of the bed and your tire guards falling off)
Old 04-13-2004 | 03:59 AM
grifferjr

Originally posted by jaa1755
I had my Z for 30 damn minutes when a pebble flew up and put a crater in the windsheild. I got it filled the next day, and so far, so good.

I just try to keep from lingering behind SUVs, trucks, or anything with larger tires or less than adequate protection (Yes, that includes you, Mr. dump truck, with your gravel falling out of the bed and your tire guards falling off)
In high school my friends dad had the same type of problem with his vette. obviously cause the car has the same low to the ground profile. he got fed up with it, and decided to do something about it. Law states that these dump trucks have to be covered even for the shortest of drives, they never do, wastes time. so if you want if you see a dump truck dropping gravel all over the place get on the cell phone and call the local police in the city you are driving in, give the plate number and where you are at and believe it or not they actually respond. my friends dad was responsible for a couple of tickets, they had a local quary around where they lived so he experienced it quite frequently.
Old 04-13-2004 | 04:50 AM
jj1814

not gonna really comment for fear of bad luck if I do...

I'll just say that a ton of rocks have hit my windshield.

maybe you get my drift
Old 04-13-2004 | 05:11 AM
jaa1755

Yeah, I figured transportation codes governed loose gravel, etc…But what I didn’t figure is that a police department would actually respond to the call. The next time I see a really bad one, I’ll try it.

Originally posted by grifferjr
In high school my friends dad had the same type of problem with his vette. obviously cause the car has the same low to the ground profile. he got fed up with it, and decided to do something about it. Law states that these dump trucks have to be covered even for the shortest of drives, they never do, wastes time. so if you want if you see a dump truck dropping gravel all over the place get on the cell phone and call the local police in the city you are driving in, give the plate number and where you are at and believe it or not they actually respond. my friends dad was responsible for a couple of tickets, they had a local quary around where they lived so he experienced it quite frequently.
Old 04-13-2004 | 05:19 AM
grifferjr

Originally posted by jaa1755
Yeah, I figured transportation codes governed loose gravel, etc…But what I didn’t figure is that a police department would actually respond to the call. The next time I see a really bad one, I’ll try it.
I do think it has everything to do with the amount of complaints, and also what else is going on in the town. Granted if you are in an inner city or something where the police have better things to do, then you probably wont get too much response. But if its in suburbia, and from and area, like this quary, that spurred multiple complaints, then thats the potential for a better response. Still worth a try.
Old 04-13-2004 | 05:55 AM
tiswicked

WoW, ok, I thought I was the only one. I thought I had really bad luck or something. one month after getting the car a small pebble or something flew up and lightly touched the windshield. It was so quiet, I thought it was another dead bug. The windshield was not cracked, but it has a 1/2" small scratch on it. When I show it to people they dont see it at first but GOD damn it that scratch stares at me in my face everyday and pisses me off.
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:07 AM
pmyers23

I'm about to get my 3rd windshield put on the Z....and only 9k miles on it. Thank God I have glass coverage.
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:24 AM
MASTERPLAU

i have glass coverage too, thank goodness...

went to the dealer $900.oo for that windshield, white plains nissan... they're smokin crack...

89glass.com mobile winshield replacers come to where your car is... anyone use them...
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:53 AM
lungta

Yes $900 for a winshield is some crack. Going to Florida about 2 weeks, a stone hit my windshield while i was going about 80mph on the interstate. It left a quarter size star in the lower center part of my windshield. I was going to get it filled when i got back home, but the next day, when i opened the door, it cracked and left a big 12 inches crack in the windshield. I was pissed. I got Safelite Glass to change it, and they did it for 300 bucks with a PPG glass. I asked him if glasses were different and he said they are some cheaper glasses that are thinner and less resistant. He also told me that the dealer usually calls them or another glass service when they have to replace windshields.
Oh and by the way, I never got a crack or a chip in my boxster s, or my navigator or my benz, and i've driven them a lot more than the z.
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:35 AM
k2we

I had to replace my windsheild after 6 months due to a stress crack. He looked very close and was unable to find where anything had hit the glass. I have full glass coverage so it didn't cost a dime out of pocket. The PPG glass center did it in about an hour. The guy commented that mine was the 4th "Z" he had done in the past few weeks. He showed me how poor the quality is on the OEM glass.. They replaced it with an exact replacement made in the USA by PPG. It's a much better glass no doubt about it. The OEM had many ripples in the laminations and the new one does not. He billed my insurance company $256 for the work.. It pay's to get full glass coverage.. It only costs me $44 a year for 3 cars.

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 19,199 miles since Sept 17, 2002
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:39 AM
pmyers23

what is PPG?

Quick Reply: Weak Windshields?