Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

very strange problem with my Z! car dies at high speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:09 AM
zectasy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very strange problem with my Z! car dies at high speeds??

hows it going? im new on here. just picked up a used 2003 z about 1 week ago and it only has 5k miles...came with aftermarket suspensiona and also 18in adr m sports. on thanksgiving i was driving to my aunts crusin at about 80-90 nothing too fast considering the z can go much faster. so i get ready to turn and i stick it in neutral to slow down and all of a sudden all the lights on my dash go out and my power steering goes out?? so i slowly goto the side of the road come to find out the car completely died? so i restart my car and it runs perfect? im just wondering if you guys have any clue what this could be? this is where my problem gets worse. i take it in to nissan and they said they dont know why its doing it but before they go into it anymore they suggested i put my nismo cai on. when i bought the car it had a lil short ram type intake on there. well come to find out the dealer doesnt have the lug key for my wheels. haha so im having a great experience so far. so i went all around town...drove 30min up north to some other shops then finally went up to a place in china town near chicago and went to top speed a pretty good sixe import shop and on one had a key to fit. so come to find out im most likely gonna have to have my lugs broke off but its going to damage the wheel.....soo if anyone has any .02 cents about my 2 problems id appreciate it...basically what it all comes down to is that if i could find a key to fit then i could get my wheels off and geton my new intake and that would most likely solve my car dying when im driving problem....thanks for any imput!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:34 AM
mickey

Default Re: very strange problem with my Z! car dies at high speeds??

Have you try contact the seller (original owner) of your Z for lug nut?

As for short-ram-type CAI "possibly" causing stalling, you can try putting the original Air Box and filter back on to see if it remedy the stalling, and keep it on, until you find the lug nut to take off wheel for Nismo CAI installation.

Mickey
Old 04-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Blue350zCali

Originally posted by zectasy
so i get ready to turn and i stick it in neutral to slow down and all of a sudden all the lights on my dash go out and my power steering goes out?? so i slowly goto the side of the road come to find out the car completely died? so i restart my car and it runs perfect?
Your short ram air type intake is probably a Popcharger (which most of this board including myself think is the best intake for our cars). There is a known issue with the Popcharger that at speeds over 60mph and shifting into neutral will cause the car to sometimes stall (Just push in your clutch and start the car while moving, no need to pull over). Most people do not think this is a problem because most people do not shift into neutral at high speeds. You probably could have searched for this if the search was working because there are a lot of threads about this.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:39 AM
ss350z07

you need to tighten the air filter because it recieving to much air. that why it shuts off. it happened to my z. if u tighten it, it will not shut off anymore
Old 04-14-2004, 07:42 AM
zectasy

hmm thats kinda odd. this "popcharger" who makes them and why are they so good? it looks like the stock intake piping with basically just a filter on the end? i have the nismo cold air intake is that one good also? but thanks for letting me know about it now i dont feel alone n **** haha. and usually when i drive i dont put it in neutral unless i am slowing down or sumthin.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:52 AM
mapleleafzzz

i cannot comment on why your car would be stalling, although some above seemed to have made some comments there....but i would like to comment on your shifting to neutral to slow down...although i am no proffessional driver, i would recommend NOT doing that....you will get more decelleration by simply taking your foot off the gas in gear, or downshifting depending on your speed and gear, but you should be able to listen to your car and know if your car can handle a downshift....its a better way to slow down, and you will maintain better control of your car...especially don't do this (shift to neutral) while cornering...
If I am wrong about this would someone please correct me....but I think you should unlearn what it is you are doing.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:01 AM
jpc350z

hows it going? im new on here. just picked up a used 2003 z about 1 week ago and it only has 5k miles...came with aftermarket suspensiona and also 18in adr m sports. on thanksgiving i was driving to my aunts crusin at about 80-90 nothing too fast considering the z can go much faster. so i get ready to turn and i stick it in neutral to slow down and all of a sudden all the lights on my dash go out and my power steering goes out?? so i slowly goto the side of the road come to find out the car completely died? so i restart my car and it runs perfect? im just wondering if you guys have any clue what this could be? this is where my problem gets worse. i take it in to nissan and they said they dont know why its doing it but before they go into it anymore they suggested i put my nismo cai on. when i bought the car it had a lil short ram type intake on there. well come to find out the dealer doesnt have the lug key for my wheels. haha so im having a great experience so far. so i went all around town...drove 30min up north to some other shops then finally went up to a place in china town near chicago and went to top speed a pretty good sixe import shop and on one had a key to fit. so come to find out im most likely gonna have to have my lugs broke off but its going to damage the wheel.....soo if anyone has any .02 cents about my 2 problems id appreciate it...basically what it all comes down to is that if i could find a key to fit then i could get my wheels off and geton my new intake and that would most likely solve my car dying when im driving problem....thanks for any imput!
I recently lost my key but I have the registration card and the key # for replacement. You might want to call them McGard at 1-800-444-5847 and tell them your problem. They might be able to help you. Good Luck
Old 04-14-2004, 08:07 AM
barrybell

Now you know why it was a used car...
Old 04-14-2004, 08:18 AM
zectasy

Originally posted by barrybell
Now you know why it was a used car...
hah. sad but true. i figured 5k miles...damn thats low as hell plus still has warranty. plus me and my dad took it out 3 times before i bought it and ran it to about 130 to make sure it could handle and it was great...didnt die once when we test drove it? i just dropped it off at them and they are gonna break off the lugs. they said they could do it without damaing the wheel so i guess we will see...plus im gonna stick on the nismo intake and that should take care of the stalling problem it sounds like?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Norel350Z

Correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there a recall by nissan for an engine sensor, that caused a car to shut off, at high speeds. Im not sure if it applied to the Z, but i remember reading about a small recall/tsb on certian nissans built from 2000-2003, which may include some Zs.. as for the pop charger, i have it and no problems so far.

Last edited by Norel350Z; 04-14-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
phreezee

That had to do with the crank sensor

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co (7201.T), Japan's third-largest auto maker, said on Thursday it would recall 2.55 million cars worldwide at an estimated cost of 15 to 16 billion yen ($138-148 million) due to an engine defect.

The recall applies to 1.02 million cars in Japan spanning 25 models, making it the second-biggest ever by an auto maker in Japan, a Transport Ministry official said.

The biggest was also by Nissan, involving about 1.05 million cars in May 1996.

A Nissan spokeswoman said the cost of the recall had been factored into profit forecasts for the business year to next March. Some of the cost will be shared by parts makers, she said.

Earlier this month, Nissan said it would keep its full-year operating profit forecast unchanged at 820 billion yen ($7.58 billion), up 11 percent from last year.

Shares of Nissan, owned 44.4 percent by France's Renault (RENA.PA), fell on the recall news. The stock closed down 0.73 percent to 1,221 yen after touching a high of 1,273 yen.

Some analysts had expressed concern about possible quality issues at Nissan, which has been expanding its product line-up and output volumes at break-neck speed over the past few years.

The defect was found inside a sensor in the engine that could lead to a short-circuit and stop the engine from working. There have been no reports of accidents caused by the problem.

The recall affects many popular cars manufactured between 1998 and May 2003, including the Sunny, March, Cube, Primera, Presage, X-Trail, Skyline and Fairlady Z, as well as two cars built for Subaru-maker Fuji Heavy Industries (7270.T) and Mazda Motor Corp (7261.T) on an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) basis.

Of the 1.53 million units to be recalled overseas, 700,000 are in North America and 460,000 in Europe. ($1=108.19 yen)
Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 PM
350z4steve

Default Re: Re: very strange problem with my Z! car dies at high speeds??

Originally posted by Blue350zCali
Your short ram air type intake is probably a Popcharger (which most of this board including myself think is the best intake for our cars). There is a known issue with the Popcharger that at speeds over 60mph and shifting into neutral will cause the car to sometimes stall (Just push in your clutch and start the car while moving, no need to pull over). Most people do not think this is a problem because most people do not shift into neutral at high speeds. You probably could have searched for this if the search was working because there are a lot of threads about this.

Ditto I had the exact same thing happen to me as well over @ california speedway about a month ago. It is either the Pop charger not being on correctly or tight enough or a bad MAF sensor. But its most likely the Pop charger if it only happens while going into neutral from high speed. In my case I noticed there was no power and the car stalling I just kept my momentum and pushed the clutch in and popped it to restart without having to stop and thereby continue on the track without stopping.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 PM
almjones

Sad. Can't be the electronic limiter, it kicks in at 155 MPH.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:38 PM
tdukeman

I had the IS300 02' and the same thing happened to me. I had the SRT air intake on it. I put it in neutral and it died. But that was the only time it did.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:41 PM
zectasy

thats really weird how pop chargers do that. why are pop chargers suppose to be so good on the 350z? i bought the nismo cai and i hope thats good also....imean the pop charger might be a good intake but it cant be that good if when in neutral it shuts down the car....just my .02......thanks forall the comments
Old 04-15-2004, 12:31 AM
superstuddc27

wait.. i got a question. i read about the neutral thing with the popcharger before, but one thing.. how is it that if it's in neutral it'll stall? i mean what i dont' get is, why is it that NEUTRAL will make it stall? isn't that practically the same as pushing in the clutch while driving.. i dont' get what it has to do with the popcharger, and why it stalls. thanks.. hope someone can fill me in on that.
-dave
Old 04-15-2004, 04:07 AM
jpc350z

Originally posted by superstuddc27
wait.. i got a question. i read about the neutral thing with the popcharger before, but one thing.. how is it that if it's in neutral it'll stall? i mean what i dont' get is, why is it that NEUTRAL will make it stall? isn't that practically the same as pushing in the clutch while driving.. i dont' get what it has to do with the popcharger, and why it stalls. thanks.. hope someone can fill me in on that.
-dave
You have suddenly reduced the engines need for fuel when you disengage the clutch or put it in neutral..The ECU apparently does not know how to respond properly and shuts the engine down..Look at the RPM's go south when you do this..
Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
s9am_me

its not only the JWT (Jim Wolf Technologies) pop charger, Injen intakes were also known to do this. some people reseted their ECU's to get around the problem. worked for some, didn't for others.

as for the braking, as one poster suggested, you should downshift instead of putting it to neutral at high speeds. (maybe downshift until 3rd or 4th). its more efficient and saves your brakes. Also, if you need to accelerate for emergency reasons, you'll have a better time to react because your in gear already.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Blue350zCali

thats really weird how pop chargers do that. why are pop chargers suppose to be so good on the 350z? i bought the nismo cai and i hope thats good also....imean the pop charger might be a good intake but it cant be that good if when in neutral it shuts down the car....just my .02......thanks forall the comments
It is a good intake because it does not have all the bends in the intake tube like injen, aem, nismo, etc. It is as close to ram air as it gets.

Quick Reply: very strange problem with my Z! car dies at high speeds??