Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Integra Type R or 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:50 AM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Morning Wood
if you're driving a 4-banger, there's not much point in rwd, especially the low torque rsx.
Classic race cars like the alfas, fiats, jags, MG's, lotus esprit all had 4 cylinders as does the current S2000. RWD or FWD or AWD all have pros and cons to vehicle dynamics and control...and probably shouldn't be judged based upon straightline performance as is typical in the US.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Enron Exec

Default Re: Integra Type R or 350Z

Originally posted by otto
Hi people,

I need some advice,

Have been driving a Integra Type R (In your region, Acura type- R)for pass 2 years, when I first set my eyes on a 350Z I fell in love...

I'm really confused if I should sell my beloved DC 5 type R,
and get a Z...

after reading your nice forum, there seems to be lotsa complians with the Z, my Q is it is worth it?

I'm writing from Singapore and the prices of cars here is no joke.
a JDM Z( Base model) cost like 80 grand USD, and a the local Nissan agent(ST version) sells it for 90 grand USD!

Here are some points,

3.5 Vs 2L
road cost 2.5 K (Z) vs 0.8K (Type R) in USD
Seating 2 vs 2+2.
1.5 ton Vs 1.1 ton weight. ( BTW, my Type R has 260 Hp, full Mugen upgrade, but 2 years old)
Insurance cost 2.3K both.
FR Vs FF
V6 Vs Vtech
Nissan Vs Honda
Stock Vs Full Mod.

Can anyone help!

Cheers!

OttO
Everything especially goods that are imported in Singapore are very expensive. The goverment gets most of its income through sales taxes. Imagine a Civic for around 50k USD, yes thats $50 United States Dollars in the year 2004.

OttO, you have a real gem of a car. You just have to ask yourself if you want a great looking, great driving FR V6 Nissan or your current car. The only real issue with the 350Z is the front tires wearing out unevenly. How much do tires cost there? The materials on the interior of the Z isnt as nice as the RSX's. Otherwise the 350Z is a solid sports car I love driving every day.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Enron Exec

Looks like the tire feathering issue has sparked an extended 2 year warranty on front wheel aligment and tires. If this is true, id have to say that the 350Z has no major flaws as a car.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=70188
Old 04-16-2004, 05:51 PM
otto

Originally posted by Enron Exec
Looks like the tire feathering issue has sparked an extended 2 year warranty on front wheel aligment and tires. If this is true, id have to say that the 350Z has no major flaws as a car.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=70188
Hi, Thanks for your advice, Have been driving the ITR for about 2 years and spendabout 15K USD on Mods been to the F1 track in Malaysia couple of times. At the end of the day, I'm a bit tired of the Rawness, speed and tight corners.

Now looking for something milder, slicker, and soother.

would love a Bimmer 6 series, but will cost an arm and a leg.

I've got an offer for my Blue ITR, will go to the showroom today to work out a good offer for a Z.

There is two sellers in Sin, a paraller importer selling a Silver Manual ( base model) and the local Distributor selling the ( ST version, manual with all the works) the price difference is about 10K. what will you do?* all the works = 6 air bags, curise control, electric seat, brembo, 18" rubbers, bose ICE, factory leather, small spolier....

BTW the local distributor has only Black, orange and red.
What color is best? Don't think I will go for the red.

who will you get it from?

Cheers!

OttO
Old 04-16-2004, 08:50 PM
obsidian02

The Integra type R is good enough in Singapore unless you are planning to move to us, then sell your car. With that money, yOu could buy a brand new Z and Integra type R in US.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Bassmaster

What ARE the advantages of front wheel drive?
Had one once (Prelude 93) thought it was horrible in snow.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:37 AM
jimster716

Originally posted by Bassmaster
What ARE the advantages of front wheel drive?
Had one once (Prelude 93) thought it was horrible in snow.
If you look at it in practical terms safety and cost. Less cost in terms of no drive shaft and rear axle housing. Tranny and diff are in one housing.

Safety..weight of engine is on the traction wheels. With regards to racing it is more forgiving...you can be more aggressive counting on the rear to catch at some point as useless as it is.

Chances are your prelude would be worse as RWD. Also with honda FWD, they are notoriously front heavy almost 70/30...this makes it easier to bring the rear around in a spin.

Overall I would say RWD has an advantage in racing...but racing is solely for marketing and it would be silly to abandon FWD racing when there is obviously a huge market.

Last edited by jimster716; 04-17-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Enron Exec

Hi, Thanks for your advice, Have been driving the ITR for about 2 years and spendabout 15K USD on Mods been to the F1 track in Malaysia couple of times. At the end of the day, I'm a bit tired of the Rawness, speed and tight corners.

Now looking for something milder, slicker, and soother.

would love a Bimmer 6 series, but will cost an arm and a leg.

I've got an offer for my Blue ITR, will go to the showroom today to work out a good offer for a Z.

There is two sellers in Sin, a paraller importer selling a Silver Manual ( base model) and the local Distributor selling the ( ST version, manual with all the works) the price difference is about 10K. what will you do?* all the works = 6 air bags, curise control, electric seat, brembo, 18" rubbers, bose ICE, factory leather, small spolier....

BTW the local distributor has only Black, orange and red.
What color is best? Don't think I will go for the red.

who will you get it from?

Cheers!

OttO
Are the 18" wheels on the ST version from Volks? If so, and if you can afford it, go for the ST version. If you track very hard and want an adjustable limited slip differential, then go get the Base version and add your favorite LSD. The stock LSD is ok. The Brembo brakes are great for the track but you could of course go for the largest brake kit, i think 14" rotors if you need that much more stopping power. Its all up to how much you want to spend and what you want to do with the car.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:08 AM
toddius

You're talking to a bunch of 350z owners, so I'm not sure how impartial the advice is going to be.

I traded in my '01 Integra GS-R on the Z. My wife also drives an '02 base RSX (U.S. Integra). Granted the GS-R and the base RSX are not the same thing as a Type-R, but, the basic feeling is similar.

The ITR and the 350z are very different cars -- but they are both great cars. I love my Z, but I loved my GS-R as well. Only time will tell which one I enjoy the most.

Some comparison points -- Z is faster with more low-end torque. ITR, however, likely has a greater SENSATION of speed and acceleration. The Z's power curve is very linear, so there's no boost of acceleration like I used to get with the GS-R when VTEC kicked in. So, in a way, the Z does not feel faster than the Integra.

If you don't have to manage bad weather, RWD handles better than FWD. You can make a front driver handle pretty well, but it will NEVER have the same intense feeling through a tight turn that RWD gives you.

My last point is subjective -- this weekend I took my wife's RSX to the store. When I came out to the car, I have to admit I felt a little embarassed getting into her car. I felt like I was driving a "chick" car. This could be because it's my wife's car and I associate it with her, but I never feel that way with my Z. (for what it's worth I never felt that way with my GS-R - not sure what the difference is.)
Old 04-19-2004, 01:00 PM
samw1978

Originally posted by jeffie7

LOL~ nice pic! that annoyed me a lot when I was driving a Honda too
Old 04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by samw1978

LOL~ nice pic! that annoyed me a lot when I was driving a Honda too
it just bugs the hell out of me that a guy with so many mods can't even say Vtec right

I guess all it takes is money who cares if you know anything about the car
Old 04-19-2004, 07:26 PM
otto

Originally posted by toddius
You're talking to a bunch of 350z owners, so I'm not sure how impartial the advice is going to be.

I traded in my '01 Integra GS-R on the Z. My wife also drives an '02 base RSX (U.S. Integra). Granted the GS-R and the base RSX are not the same thing as a Type-R, but, the basic feeling is similar.

The ITR and the 350z are very different cars -- but they are both great cars. I love my Z, but I loved my GS-R as well. Only time will tell which one I enjoy the most.

Some comparison points -- Z is faster with more low-end torque. ITR, however, likely has a greater SENSATION of speed and acceleration. The Z's power curve is very linear, so there's no boost of acceleration like I used to get with the GS-R when VTEC kicked in. So, in a way, the Z does not feel faster than the Integra.

If you don't have to manage bad weather, RWD handles better than FWD. You can make a front driver handle pretty well, but it will NEVER have the same intense feeling through a tight turn that RWD gives you.

My last point is subjective -- this weekend I took my wife's RSX to the store. When I came out to the car, I have to admit I felt a little embarassed getting into her car. I felt like I was driving a "chick" car. This could be because it's my wife's car and I associate it with her, but I never feel that way with my Z. (for what it's worth I never felt that way with my GS-R - not sure what the difference is.)
Hi Tuddius,

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. I must admit the ITR is really a nicely tune track car and with Mugen Upgrades...man.....will be difficult to part with this baby., but now with age catching up I'm looking for a milder ride and as you said a more "MAN" kinda car.

I'm now work on selling the car and hope I can fatch a good price.

Cheers!

OttO
Singapore
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 AM
ml2316

buy a z and affix a type "R" emblem to it. then you truly have the best of both worlds: the fast car and the cool emblem.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:53 AM
otto

Originally posted by ml2316
buy a z and affix a type "R" emblem to it. then you truly have the best of both worlds: the fast car and the cool emblem.
I think the other way round would be better.

OttO
Old 04-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Sly_Z

This shouldn't even be a question. The Z is a better all around car.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM
SergEK

Some info and advice for the original poster

I drove a 99 Civic hatch for 5 years, it was powered by a 00 Integra Type R motor....it hauled ***...for a civic..13.60's@101

My biggest complaint was around town driving was okay, car could pull away from most commuter cars below VTEC cross over (4800 on my VAFC) once in VTEC it screamed (you could hear it about 5 blocks away with no cats and large B pipe) and attracted tons of negative police attention....so if I wanted to get on it in town....cops would know imediately

The car was loud, buzzy and a civic

While performance per dollar mattered to me and the car was unique (B18C5 powered, Volks etc...) most avg people still saw "civic" While I had fun waxing alot of cars who thought they were faster at the track....at the end of the day I still had roll up windows, no A/C and a fwd platform with a economy US image....being 23 and making 35K a year and driving a 12K car wasnt adding up....fun as it was, it really is for commuting

Not that you cant make it a 10 sec, 1.0g+ road eating machine....but if you can afford to make it into one you can afford a Z06 or a Viper , TT 350z etc...

At that level of the game its really silly to have spent 40g's and its still a "civic"....a depressing reality that eventually made me sell the car....I went home after selling my car and drove my dads new CLK500....plush, smooth and quick without even trying...I could barely hear the V8 growl when I passed the local soccer moms in their BMWs

After that I realized that modding cars at that level is for kids...I would rather drive a 12 sec Mercedes than a 10 sec Civic everyday....maybe it was the konis were too stiff, the exhaust drone was too annoying...I dunno...but I have driven my friends modded enthusiast Z (plenum and exhaust) and its alot like my civic speed wise but the driving experience is COMPLETELY different....I got sideways in the parking lot, threw in some counter steer...fun...no torque steer...and then the exhaust note

Getting on it in the Z with the exhaust was beautiful (the shifter sucks into 2nd gear but the rest were okay)

The car is comfortable, quick, smooth and has a bad boy character that begs you to get sideways WOT...

When I get my Z....I going to be crazy...all the years I spent wishing for tail out fun will finally come and the Z is just the predictable platform to have fun with

End of story
Old 04-23-2004, 01:06 AM
otto

Originally posted by SergEK
Some info and advice for the original poster

I drove a 99 Civic hatch for 5 years, it was powered by a 00 Integra Type R motor....it hauled ***...for a civic..13.60's@101

My biggest complaint was around town driving was okay, car could pull away from most commuter cars below VTEC cross over (4800 on my VAFC) once in VTEC it screamed (you could hear it about 5 blocks away with no cats and large B pipe) and attracted tons of negative police attention....so if I wanted to get on it in town....cops would know imediately

The car was loud, buzzy and a civic

While performance per dollar mattered to me and the car was unique (B18C5 powered, Volks etc...) most avg people still saw "civic" While I had fun waxing alot of cars who thought they were faster at the track....at the end of the day I still had roll up windows, no A/C and a fwd platform with a economy US image....being 23 and making 35K a year and driving a 12K car wasnt adding up....fun as it was, it really is for commuting

Not that you cant make it a 10 sec, 1.0g+ road eating machine....but if you can afford to make it into one you can afford a Z06 or a Viper , TT 350z etc...

At that level of the game its really silly to have spent 40g's and its still a "civic"....a depressing reality that eventually made me sell the car....I went home after selling my car and drove my dads new CLK500....plush, smooth and quick without even trying...I could barely hear the V8 growl when I passed the local soccer moms in their BMWs

After that I realized that modding cars at that level is for kids...I would rather drive a 12 sec Mercedes than a 10 sec Civic everyday....maybe it was the konis were too stiff, the exhaust drone was too annoying...I dunno...but I have driven my friends modded enthusiast Z (plenum and exhaust) and its alot like my civic speed wise but the driving experience is COMPLETELY different....I got sideways in the parking lot, threw in some counter steer...fun...no torque steer...and then the exhaust note

Getting on it in the Z with the exhaust was beautiful (the shifter sucks into 2nd gear but the rest were okay)

The car is comfortable, quick, smooth and has a bad boy character that begs you to get sideways WOT...

When I get my Z....I going to be crazy...all the years I spent wishing for tail out fun will finally come and the Z is just the predictable platform to have fun with

End of story
Dude,

Beautiful story, I've having the same taughts as you had when driving the civic. I mean the type -R is raw, handles perfect and a dream when Vtec kicks. At the end of the day...

I'm looking for something powerfull and yet classy.

I guess it has to be the Z....

OttO
Old 05-22-2004, 07:30 AM
otto

Dude,

Beautiful story, I've having the same taughts as you had when driving the civic. I mean the type -R is raw, handles perfect and a dream when Vtec kicks. At the end of the day...

I'm looking for something powerfull and yet classy.

I guess it has to be the Z....

OttO
Hi people.

Got a question.

Whats a type S version Z? I've heard of a ST version.
but whats a S version?

Is it lighter?

Thanks

OttO
Old 05-22-2004, 10:50 AM
elyliu

Wow, nice story SergEK...

get the Z....and if you end up missing the raw edge of the ITR, you can mod that up too

Quick Reply: Integra Type R or 350Z