Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

XM Radio / SONY - DRN-XM01R2

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 05:30 PM
sammythebull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio / SONY - DRN-XM01R2

Does anyone know if the Sony Receiver for XM Radio will fit (and the door close) in the Navigation bay.

(I'm not getting the Navigation option)

Here is a link to the website for the product:
http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/produ...386&type=Tuner
Old 09-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The dimentions for the Nav. space are roughly:

2 and a half inches deep (i.e. front to back)
6 inches wide
3 and an eighth inches high

So I don't think the unit you are looking at will fit. That is the one that can be removed and used at home too I believe.

I am getting the Pioneer XM installed this Friday. The one I am getting uses an RF transmitter to broadcast over your radio (on an FM frequency that isn't used in your area).

I was worried about loss of quality but when I listened to one and compared it to a complete XM-equipped receiver (that also had AM, FM, CD, etc) I really couldn't tell the difference.

The unit installs either in the glovebox behind the passenger seat or the space behind the drivers seat. The control panel will be installed between the leather gearshift hood and the 3 Climate Control *****. It is only about a half inch thick so I chose to install it with double sided adhesive instead of cutting into anything.

BTW, I asked about placing the antenna on the strut brace in the back as someone mentioned. You can't really do that with the smaller more attractive antenna. That one HAS to be set on metal apparently. The glass mount antenna can be placed on the strut but it is BUTT UGLY and MUCH bigger.

I'll let you know how it goes and how it sounds.

Oh yeah, the one I am getting is only $200.00 with free installation.

Go to the page below to see all of the antennae available.

The one I'm getting is the Sony roof mount one. It and the Terk roof mount HAVE to be mounted on metal (can't use on strut), since they use the metal of the roof to "magnify" it's receiving power. The glass mount ones could be used on the strut but IMO, wouldn't look too good.

XM antenna options

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 09-30-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:54 PM
sammythebull

So I take it you are putting the antenna on the exterior roof of the car?
Old 09-30-2002, 07:21 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Yes, right in front of the little nub that sticks up to squirt your rear window with washer fluid. With the slope of the roof, you can't even see it when looking at the front of the car.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:07 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

How do you get the wire into the car from the roof-mounted antenna?
Old 10-01-2002, 02:42 AM
sammythebull

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Yes, right in front of the little nub that sticks up to squirt your rear window with washer fluid. With the slope of the roof, you can't even see it when looking at the front of the car.
Bonz, can you email me or post a photo when done.
If it doesn't ruin the lines of the car, I may have to put the antenna there as well.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:37 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It goes straight backwards about 2-3 inches and goes under the lip of the hatch. There is this squared "tube" that the wire runs in so it isn't just a bare wire. I don't have a pic of it but after I get mine I'll post it.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:13 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

Bonz,

My install is being done on Thursday and the installer said that it was no problem to mount the small Terk on the plastic part of the strut brace. Also, I have seen pictures of a similar, non-metal, setup. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:34 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
The control panel will be installed between the leather gearshift hood and the 3 Climate Control *****. It is only about a half inch thick so I chose to install it with double sided adhesive instead of cutting into anything.

Make sure it's not going to get in the way of quick upshifts/downshifts to 1st, 3rd & 5th. You don't want to bash your fingers.

Ethan
Old 10-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

"Bonz,

My install is being done on Thursday and the installer said that it was no problem to mount the small Terk on the plastic part of the strut brace. Also, I have seen pictures of a similar, non-metal, setup. I'll keep you guys posted"

They installers told me that it had to be on metal since it uses some kind of "induction" and it supposedly amplifies the signal. It even mentions it on the web site I posted above from XM itself. That is why they make the different ones. I'd be anxious to see if yours works that way though. Let us know.

"Make sure it's not going to get in the way of quick upshifts/downshifts to 1st, 3rd & 5th. You don't want to bash your fingers.

Ethan"

The unit is really VERY small. I'd say about 1.5 inches high, about 5 inches long and only about a quarter to a half inch thick so I don't think it'll get in the way. I'll post pics on Saturday after it's installed.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:28 AM
lauderdale75

Please see the following thread for my XM install. I put the antenna on the rear strut tower ( a little tacky), but in my opinion, better than being on the outside of the car.

Good luck
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=6354
Old 10-03-2002, 08:46 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

Took my Z over to the stereo shop this morning and worked with the installer for a little while. Thanks to this site I was able to show him how to remove the BOSE headunit. I double-checked the XM antenna install and he said that he installs them under glass and on plastic all of the time. No problem. Nice! I love the look of the strut bar and didn't want to distort it.

So, I will have MP3 cds and XM this afternoon! I can't wait.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:50 PM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

Yes! XM works great with the antenna mounted on the plastic part of the strut brace. Sweet! And it is very hard to notice!