Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What's your favorite drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 08:01 AM
Them Bones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's your favorite drive?

Hey all, I was wondering where everyone goes to drive just for kicks. If enough people post, we'll have a pretty good reference of "must drives" when traveling!

The coolest drive I've found is the Blue Ridge Parkway in TN/SC. Parts of it have repeated tight curves. I made my wife vomit once! Definitely sucked at the time, but it's funny now.

So where do you go for speed, curves, etc???

-TB
Old 10-01-2002, 08:24 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Lower Wacker Drive in Chicago, trying to recreate the scene from The Blues Brothers. Unfortunately, it's closed for construction right now.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:31 AM
dollar99

Default Re: What's your favorite drive?

Originally posted by Them Bones
Hey all, I was wondering where everyone goes to drive just for kicks. If enough people post, we'll have a pretty good reference of "must drives" when traveling!

The coolest drive I've found is the Blue Ridge Parkway in TN/SC. Parts of it have repeated tight curves. I made my wife vomit once! Definitely sucked at the time, but it's funny now.

So where do you go for speed, curves, etc???

-TB
blue ridge parkway/skyline drive in VA.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Boomer

Default drive

Highway 1 from San Simeon to Monterey/Carmel, Calif. On the way to Laguna Seca, my favorite race track.

Boomer
Old 10-01-2002, 08:45 AM
vanstorm16

A contribution from the great white north. Highway 6 in the interior of British Columbia heading east from a town named Vernon towards the Monashee mountains. Amazing views, very little traffic and great twisty terrain so there's lots of opportunities to work through the gears and some great corners. Easily the best drive I've driven in my area.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:55 AM
digerydingo

Booyakasha vanstorm16!

I've been on that drive a couple of times but unfortunatly it's usualy as a passenger in a 4x4. Sea to Sky Hwy is always fun although now the only time traffic is low is after 11:00pm. Too bad there's been so many accidents on the road as of late. I hope they don't ruin it for the Olympic bid.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:24 PM
zeeing

Default Second that HWY 1 Drive and Laguna Seca

Minus traffic. A clear road is close to my heart, but only able to find running room early morning on weekdays.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:05 PM
RobJames

Best road for twisties I've ever seen: the "pig trail" from Ozark, Arkansas to Hiway 16 just East of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Probably a 2000 ft elevation change and then back down, cutbacks, long curves, never ending excitement.

Another good one is Hiway 16 from Siloam Springs, Oklahoma to Fayetteville, Arkansas. It also has great twisties but also two 1 mile long straights with barely any traffic. Both have great scenary.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:21 PM
gammbino350z

i few years ago i visited the reno-tahoe area and we took a bunch of backroads going down the mountains from the lake to the carson valley. Those roads are a helluva lot of fun if your careful because if you missed a turn you were going to fall any where from 20 ft to 3000ft off one of those mountains.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:25 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drive home from work, not because it has kick *** twisties, but because my slave labor for the day is over.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Gfactor

Default Re: What's your favorite drive?

I don't have my Z...yet, but have been exploring the mountain roads in MD, VA and especially West VA for the last few years on motorcycles (now a 2002 Honda VFR)

In WVA, Rt 33, 250, US 50, 42 are some that are awesome. Huge elevation changes, switch backs, decreasing radius corners and very few police cars.

The BRP parkway is awesome too.

I can't wait to hit some of these in the Z.

George

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Them Bones
[B]Hey all, I was wondering where everyone goes to drive just for kicks.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:55 PM
Them Bones

Originally posted by vanstorm16
A contribution from the great white north. Highway 6 in the interior of British Columbia heading east from a town named Vernon towards the Monashee mountains. Amazing views, very little traffic and great twisty terrain so there's lots of opportunities to work through the gears and some great corners. Easily the best drive I've driven in my area.
Excellent! My wife and I are planning on visiting Glacier National Park soon. How far is this road from the park?

-TB
Old 10-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Vincey2kr1

Default Arkansas(Ozarks) All the WAy

RobJames! You have to try highway 103 north of Clarksville in Arkansas, less traffic then the pig trails and has a bit more curves its my favorite. It travels up and down one of the Ozark mountains and ends up pratically as a dead end, turn around and come back down Also Talemena trail by Mena, Arkansas is a good one as well.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:58 PM
jran76

Good call on the AR roads, I am from Fayetteville, the pig trail and 16 are both good, old 71 from Alma to Fayetteville is ok (tested it out on my way home to the UA/Ala game this weekend in the Z), there is very little traffic with 540 open....

Anything in the Hill Country west of Austin is good, closer to Austin, Lime Creek in great.....
Old 10-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Won't help most of the members here unless you go on vacation but TANTALUS in Hawaii is my #1.

Just think of those commercials you have seen where the car is on the twisties with the semi-wet road while driving under a canopy of exotic vegetation. That is this drive with several lookouts of the island of Oahu along the way. The Hawaii Z's will know what I am talking about. My 300ZXTT was test driven along this road.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:19 AM
acid burn

I agree with the Pacific Coast Highway to Carmel for a great drive with a great view. However, if you just want to drive hard, take Skyline Boulevard near San Jose. Start at highway 92 and go South. Keep going past where they don't put lines on the road any more. Gets _really_ twisty. Sometimes it's only 1.5 car widths but there is 2 way traffic, so enter at your own risk! Makes for a hell of a ride.

I just tried it last month in a Civic SI (SiR in Canada) when I was down there. It was great in that car, as it's relatively small and compact. Only a few close calls. I could imagine doing it in the Z would be more of a challenge because it's a bit bigger car. I can't wait.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:51 AM
vanstorm16

digerydingo - Sea to Sky is another great drive, you're right! Being in Vancouver, its pretty accessible. Too bad about the enormous amounts of traffic though.

Them Bones - From Glacier National Park, you have to head west on Highway 1 to a town called Revelstoke about 70km from Rogers Pass. From there, head south on Highway 23 to another town called Nakusp (about 100km and a quick, free ferry ride across the lake). From Nakusp, head south on Highway 6 (probaby called hwy 6 west) towards Fauquier/Vernon (about 61km). Don't head towards Castlegar, that's the wrong way. When you get to Fauquier, there's another ferry back across the same lake. When you depart the ferry, you wanna be first off the boat, don't get stuck behind a ton of cars. This now is the part of the road I was talking about. Its about 85km of really fun road, I had a blast driving in it my Probe GT. You'll eventually come out in Vernon which is our wine country.

Depending on the time of year you're travelling, the road from Nakusp to Fauquier has TONS of bald eagles.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acid burn, I concur. I like to drive from my house (in the santa cruz mountains), down HWY 9 to Santa Cruz (nice and twisty, but many cars), N on HWY1 to Half Moon Bay, up 92 to Skyline. Down Skyline to HWY 9. Then HWY 9 back home. The drive takes a couple hours but is awesome. The only problem is traffic. I still need to get "sick" so I can try the drive during the weekday when traffic will hopefully be lighter.

-D'oh!