Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Concerns about CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
-=Z=-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns about CAI

I've got an Injen CAI and I'm a little concerned about driving in the rain. I drove today because I had no other choice and am feeling really guilty. I layed off the gas and avoided all the puddles, but I still got pretty wet. The filter feels a little damp but I didn't notice any rough idling or any signs of water in the engine. Should I be concerned? I don't see a bypass feature of any kind on my CAI. . If driving in the rain is unavoidable from time to time should i just switch to a pop charger?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 AM
DiRN

It's not so much the rain that's the problem, it's the puddles. If you spent enough time in a deep enough puddle you could flood your engine. That would be bad. This was a concern of mine as my office parking lot (and many others near it) tend to fill with puddles easily. I wanted a CAI and not just the POP Charger, and so that's why I got the K&N. It doesn't hang as low as the Injen and the AEM/Nismo. If you're concerned and what to keep a CAI, the K&N might be something to think about.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:43 AM
zunzet

Just installed my Injen CAI this weekend. I left it short and did not go all the way down to the front grille for that concern. I want to get a valve that prevents water from getting backup into the engine.

Anyway, I'm probably defeating the purpose of cold air intake by having it sit pretty much where the original box was.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 AM
onii

i think aem sells a bypass that'll fit on the injen. im planning on installing the rest of my long arm soon.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM
ZZZ Rated

AEM makes an air bypass valve for their CAI

"AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in. Patent # 6,394,128 "
Old 04-26-2004, 10:51 AM
jovasi

I would not worry about driving in the rain. There were several threads in the past where people have driven for several hours in heavy downpour with no problems. The only way water can be sucked up all the way into the engine is if you submerge the filter in water. I have not had any problems with my CAI so far. Hope that helps you out.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:01 AM
-=Z=-

Default Thx

Thx for the input guys. You've definetly put my mind at ease. I think with my already overly cautious nature I'll be alright with the CAI and without the bypass.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Jetpilot718

Im surprised no one has raised this one, and perhaps it is not an issue with the VQ35DE's as it was with the VQ30DE's - but - anyone here getting MAF sensor issues or CEL's because of the intake??
Old 04-26-2004, 03:03 PM
peterhong

I know my buddy's S2K had the CEL come on when installing his Injen, but was easily reset by the OBDII. I think the CEL came on cause of the air mixture, but once reset, it didn't come on again.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:30 PM
zunzet

The trick is to make sure you disconnect the battery before your start the procedure. When the install is complete and MAF Sensor re-installed you can re-connect the battery and start the car. The MAF re-calibrates. Or something like that there...
So I was told.

I have to admit, this MOD was VERY easy for a newbe like me. Not sure if there is any HP gain, but the chrome looks nice.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:42 PM
onii

i would suggest resetting the ECU after installing the cai. i noticed a big difference in throttle after i reset mine.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:41 AM
jovasi

Originally posted by onii
i would suggest resetting the ECU after installing the cai. i noticed a big difference in throttle after i reset mine.
When you say reset, do you just disconnect the battery cable, or do you do the brake pedal thing? Just curious.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:06 AM
FairladyZ

I drive through the rain alot not one single problem. Like said above dont go through any puddles and you are fine.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:30 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by jovasi
When you say reset, do you just disconnect the battery cable, or do you do the brake pedal thing? Just curious.
Both will work, but if you just disconnect the battery, leave it disconnected for a while, like overnight.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:39 AM
westover

Default Injen CAI and water

I have the Injen CAI running all the way to the front grill. I also installed the Injen heat/water shield (HS3500) to protect the filter. This half-round shield does an excellent job of protecting the filter from rain and splashes. It won't help if your in deep enough water to submerge the filter. There may be some reduction in the efficiency of the CAI due to its somewhat restricted air flow but I can't seem to feel a difference between the shielded and unshielded filter. The shield is easy to install with the bumper off... not so easy with the bumper on.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Z_Pride

You are fine. You have the dust cover under the bumper and the grill itself protecting against water. You shouldn't worry unless your filter is literally submerged in water.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 AM
mofoz

if you're in water deep enough to submerge the entire filter, you probably have bigger problems than your intake. i have had mine since i bought my car and never had any problems. i also have the stillen grille which further reduces the chances of water completely drenching the filter. im going to reset my ecu this weekend, and i have never had a CEL, but my idle seems like its low and the car is going to stall when idling.