Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

About to make a move, possibly

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 AM
power3dfx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to make a move, possibly

This will be a hard one if i do it. Heres the story, its very INTERESTING actually!
Ok, i have a TLS with I/H and pullies. Its practically tied with a 6sp G35C.
Ive just bought a comptech SC and will be running about another 45-50 hp to the wheel, more like 45 just to be on the conservative side.

I am thinking of not putting on the blower and just trade up to a Z or G35.
So far i am disappointed with the pricing of the Z. For the z, i would end up spending 32k for a touring 6mt. with a g6sp, i would spend 34k.
with the extra 2g i get brembos, and it seems that it stops there unless the Z touring doesnt come with sunroof, then another advantage for the G. I prefer the G, and am just wondering how hard is it to deal on them. So far, it looks like g's are hard as hell where as i can deal with the Z.

My main concern is how i can get the Z/G to have an extra 40 horses. I already plan on UR crank cuz i love it on my car. But whats available and proven to give me around 40 or so whp?
I am very unknowledgable when it comes to the 3.5's, i just know intake wont do **** (trust me, ive tested this one)
So i am hoping to see what you guys have to say.
Any opinions/input is highly appreciated!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:01 AM
FairladyZ

What is a TLS?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally posted by FairladyZ
What is a TLS?

I assumed he meant an Acura TL-S
Old 04-27-2004, 06:17 AM
Pusha Z
Banned

what up fellow TL'er, get the Z cause going for the practical car gets old real quick. You probably know that driving a TL, and you should also know that the Comptech SCer is not going to give you that much hp. I believe the CT SC only give you about 35hp for about $5 grand. Not worth it, get the Enthusiast model Z and put some money into it.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:23 AM
dz_nuts408

Enthusiast and add a greddy TT
Old 04-27-2004, 05:17 PM
power3dfx

actually, with the setup i would be running, i would be getting about 275-280 to the wheels. this is not something to look at lightly.
I would get the enthusiast model, but i want VDC too. As for brakes, it really doesnt matter to me since i will be transferring my 6 piston setup to the new car.
so how much have people been getting the touring model for(6mt)?
Any bolt on mods that are worthwhile looking into?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

performance is cheaper than touring and comes with vdc.

i don't get why you wouldn't consider a sc for the z/g35? For let's say $5k installed you have (conservitivly) 350 at the wheels.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:59 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most "bolt-on" mods for the Z give incremental HP gains. Even if you do almost everything, you'll be right around 275-280 at the wheels (unless you get lucky).

However, the ones I would do are the following:
Plenum - Both Crawford and Kinetix have their positives and negatives.
Headers - I like the looks of the Stillen and DC Sports; Crawford are very good but also expensive
Exhaust - Most exhausts are giving around 5 HP, so I'd go mainly for looks and sound. My current favorite is the Borla, but it is more complex than some of the others so you need to install it carefully.

SWAYBARS - The single biggest handling problem in the Z is understeer, which can lead quickly to sudden oversteer since you are trying to fight a push when the back end suddenly comes loose. A pair of sways will solve this problem very quickly. I like either the Hotchkiss or 350EVO. Hotchkiss are hollow (lighter weight, but will bend more easily if you hit something) and 350EVO are solid (heavier but tougher). Both are adjustable which is why I like them.

Koni Shocks - Many don't like the bouncy ride of the Z, especially on concrete highways. The Koni's help that bounce, but also help keep the car settled on bumpy corners, where the stock suspension has a tendency to step out a bit.

If you are really gutsy, you can get cams and a reflashed ECU, but the cams will be an expensive install. The ecu probably isn't needed unless you get cams, but it may still be helpful.

I would avoid a CAI, since the stock intake already serves that function.

If you are looking for low gear acceleration, reducing drivetrain inertia will make a big difference (but won't be noticeable in the higher gears). Lighweight pulleys and flywheels are available.

Alternatively, you could get a TT or S/C and blow all the N/A mods away.

-D'oh!