Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Mis-shift.....Son of a .......

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:24 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it before but it's been at least 20 years ago. I almost did when I first got the 350 but thankfully actually realized it BEFORE I released the clutch.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:41 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by FairladyZ
Rev limiter, because its the ratio of mph/rpm/gear. The rev limiter saves your motor, but your tranny, driveshaft, and rear end just took a beating.
So you're telling me that the rev-limiter is aware of vehicle speed and gear selection as well as engine speed? I thought the rev-limiter was a "dumb" system that cuts throttle above a certain RPM.

I guess my question becomes this: How is an engine that gets pushed to high RPM by the transmission (i.e. right foot not even on the gas pedal, as in the case of a mis-shift) protected by the rev limiter? Even if the limiter retards timing, cuts fuel/air, etc, the engine is still turning at very high rpms. Is that still protection?

I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to get a grasp on this whole thing....
Old 04-30-2004, 12:02 PM
CBeyond

No rev limiter I've heard of on a street car can protect the engine from overrevving due to a missed downshift. It only protects it from misapplication of throttle. Therefore I think you're correct kcobean.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 PM
ranger5oh

Done that once, but not suring a race... Eeeesh.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:29 PM
kendoll

I have done it, and if the truth be told I still do it. So now I let my clutch out slowly just incase. My only defense is that the Z cluth is really close. I also still stall, maybe about once a week. Go figure.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:47 PM
2003z

I did it drag racing. Shifted into second at 6900 rpm on my supercharged car. Tach bounced well past 8000 like crazy for the split second I had the clutch out. No damage, luckily.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:32 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

A rev limiter can't do anything about dropping into too low of a gear! All it can do is cut power when you're revving it up. I know a guy who fried his BMW M3 engine with a missed shift. A rev limiter can't change the laws of physics; if the wheels push the engine too fast, you can cut fuel and spark all you want but the engine will spin anyway.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Sr. Panza

I went to the track for the first time this past Tuesday and that happened to me twice! Instead of shifting into 4th I rammed it into 2nd. It happened to me on the same turn. Though I doubt it, I hope there is no permanent damage.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Silverstone_350

Yikes.... That's probably not as bad as what I did when I first got the car (and it probably didn't help that the Z was my first manual car too). Anyways, when I would shift from 4th to 5th, I would never fully engage 5th... so naturally, when I released the clutch, GRIND!! I probably did this at least three times, and I wanted to cry everytime I did it.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Zpeed Freak

I've done the same exact thing twice already. I'm sure my drivetrain wasn't pleased. Luckily, I caught my mistake before redline both times. A very unpleasant experience reguardless.

It's a little strange so many of us(who know how to drive, I might add) are having this same exact problem.

Now I know where to start with my modifications.....

Last edited by Zpeed Freak; 05-01-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 AM
seanrulz

I also have done it once before even my Z was broken in. But it wasn't that bad like your case.

And ever since I got Rogue Short shifter kit, it never happens.
Shift links are so precise and they just snug right in!
Old 05-01-2004, 12:21 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Before I got my Auto I test drove the six speed. I have never had a manual and never really had much of an opportunity to spend much time behind the wheel so needless to say it was kinda challenging. I thought the action felt good but it was a little ambiguous between the gates. I kept going from 5th to 4th instead of 6th and 2nd to 5th. Of course, I suck, but still...on my ex-girlfriends Conquest TSI it was still a little easier. I must've mis-shifted the Z during the test drive about 4 times I think the AT was the right choice for me since I don't have the necessary skills to be in control of the tranny. If had have gone with the 6spd I can pretty well guarantee that it would be scrap soon!
Old 05-01-2004, 03:50 PM
KingofScion

I did that to a Trans Am with the LS1.

Bent push rods... thank god for DOHC.

Omer
Old 05-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Peteman

Default misshifting sucks!

Misshifting is actually a huge problem with RSXs because they have close gates between 2nd and 4th. There is actually a video of someone missing the shift at 8k rpm.

http://rsx.clubrsx.com/videos/RSX-S_misshift.mpeg
Old 05-01-2004, 05:26 PM
zackman

Talking

I never had problems on this car but I had trouble doing this with a corvette. I too recently raced a mustang GT but living in Southern Cali he has to turn his boat through some tight corners. It wasnt even close. I think our shifter is cool as is but if it seems everybody likes to change the shifter out.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Donald0730

I mis-shifted in the Z before. That's when I broke my tranny. I was racing from a roll in 2nd. Pushed it all the way up to red line then went for 3rd, but something happened. I ended up in 5th, but it was the feeling of the shift that scared me. It felt like I hit the gate between 3rd and 5th and just yanked something out of the tranny. After that I couldn't get into any gear and my neutral was only between 3-4 and 5-6.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:52 AM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by FairladyZ
I did it a few times in my LS1. No problems thats what the rev limiter is for. Except I had so much torque that it sounded like someone with a sledge hammer just banged some piece of metal.
Why would you post something like this?

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about so why bother typing up some random untrue stuff? Save yourself the energy... Someone who does understand this stuff will come along and write up the correct response.

Anyway, the answer is:

Yes, you can definitely bend valves, throw rods, and do all kinds of nasty stuff with a big misshift. The rev limiter has absolutely *NOTHING* to do with it. It sounds like the OP got lucky and no harm was done. Don't do it again, though...
Old 05-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Masterfulks

Originally posted by Donald0730
I mis-shifted in the Z before. That's when I broke my tranny. I was racing from a roll in 2nd. Pushed it all the way up to red line then went for 3rd, but something happened. I ended up in 5th, but it was the feeling of the shift that scared me. It felt like I hit the gate between 3rd and 5th and just yanked something out of the tranny. After that I couldn't get into any gear and my neutral was only between 3-4 and 5-6.

That sounds odd....

I would think skipping a gear and going from 3 to 5 would not cause anything other than a possible stall....

But then again I have yet to make a habit of skipping gears like that so I wouldnt know....
Old 05-04-2004, 05:11 PM
jckolnturn

Don't you really have to be mashing the shifter hard, i mean real hard to get it into 2nd instead of fourth?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:02 PM
funkdamonkman

I've done the exact same thing.

Shift2nd
Redline
Shift3rd
Redline
Shift4t......2nd!
****!

Quick Reply: Mis-shift.....Son of a .......