Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Mis-shift.....Son of a .......

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:34 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mis-shift.....Son of a .......

Ok, has anybody else done this? I came around a corner tonight next to a Mustang GT. He and I both new we were going, so we hit it about the same time. I walked up on him at least a full car length by the time we hit 3rd gear. Up through third, then....WHAM! Going into 4th, I mis-shifted back into 2nd. The tires actually squealed when I let the cluth out, and the tach needle must have hit 8K. The contest was clearly over by that point, as I was probably 2 car lengths ahead of him (and we were going slightly up-hill, so I'd imagine that the torque of his V-8 made the race closer than it would have been on a flat stretch), but it was pretty freakin' embarassing. To make matters worse, there was another my350z.com Z owner behind me (who shall remain nameless).

This is the second time I've done this, the first while I was simply accelerating onto the freeway. Has anybody else done this? I've driven a stick since the day I got my drivers license, too (and yeah it's been almost 16 years since that day!) Damn...I felt guilty for abusing my car afterwards, even without the mis-shift.

Oh, and if you're going to flame me for street racing, please save it. I know it's wrong, and it's the first time I've done it in this car. Normally, I'm a real chicken on the road, so this was a rare thing for me to do.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:38 PM
350Zrunnin12s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i mis shifted like that before... bout 1 or 2 times i believe. Not a pretty feeling.. BUT GOOD JOB ON SPANKIN' THE GT
Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 PM
superstuddc27

ahah at least you spanked that fool :P... well i haven't mis-shifted b4 but then again i don't have a manual car right now. my friend did it on his celica GTS though. he was in 5th, downshifting to 4th, but went to 2nd and blew up his engine.
-dave
Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by superstuddc27
ahah at least you spanked that fool :P... well i haven't mis-shifted b4 but then again i don't have a manual car right now. my friend did it on his celica GTS though. he was in 5th, downshifting to 4th, but went to 2nd and blew up his engine.
-dave
Oooohhhhhh,.......I don't like to hear that.....

I was really concerned after I did it, but the engine seems to be fine....I guess time will tell.

Kelly
Old 04-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Masterfulks

We do have somewhat close of a shift in the gears...

I let my girlfriend drive my car once and she had the problem of going from 5th to 4th. She drives a stick daily...

Since I havent had my car for about a damn month now, I'll probably be hitting 4th again....

Last edited by Masterfulks; 04-29-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:05 PM
spitfirez

I've done that once before, luckily caught before I let the clutch out. It happens. You're probably ok, just don't make a habit of it.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it'll help much since I haven't done it myself but someone mentioned that switching out your shift **** could help a little bit. Going with a cylindler shaped narrow shaft will let you feel the angles of your **** a little more precisely.

I dunno...what's everyone else's take? (ones who have Nismo ***** or something of that sort)
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM
superstuddc27

short shifter on a Z would definitely be a problem
Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
BruceLee25

I have done that b4 but not on my Z though , i used to drive a WRX and i felt so embarassed cos there were 3 friends in my car at that time....
Old 04-30-2004, 02:41 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

since my rogue short shifter and nismo ti shift **** combo, i have not missed a single shift :-) whereas before I've been known to miss those shifts a few times...darn sloppy gates
Old 04-30-2004, 03:03 AM
ZRated03

LoL, Did that on my test drive. 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th getting onto the highway. Good thing our stock rev limiters are sensitive. Needless to say I had them get me another Z. lol Havn't done it since.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:38 AM
kcobean

Boy am I glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's done this. I think the Nismo shift **** is definitely in order.....
Old 04-30-2004, 07:59 AM
MA4

when i shift from 3 to 4, i aim the shift towards the 4 or 6 direction, that way if i miss 4th i will definetly hit 6th, which is no big deal, i just won't go very fast right away. Once you get to know your car beter you won't have this problem, you will have more experience at fast shifting. Also, the way you put your hand on the shift **** determines whether your mistake will be to a higher gear or to a lower gear. if your knuckles face the passengers side, you will most likeley miss to a lower gear, if your knuckles are facing the drivers side you will most likey miss to a higher gear. if your knuckles point to heaven, you will have a good race and will always win
Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by explortainment
when i shift from 3 to 4, i aim the shift towards the 4 or 6 direction, that way if i miss 4th i will definetly hit 6th, which is no big deal, i just won't go very fast right away. Once you get to know your car beter you won't have this problem, you will have more experience at fast shifting. Also, the way you put your hand on the shift **** determines whether your mistake will be to a higher gear or to a lower gear. if your knuckles face the passengers side, you will most likeley miss to a lower gear, if your knuckles are facing the drivers side you will most likey miss to a higher gear. if your knuckles point to heaven, you will have a good race and will always win
That's good advice...Thanks!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:29 AM
FairladyZ

I did it a few times in my LS1. No problems thats what the rev limiter is for. Except I had so much torque that it sounded like someone with a sledge hammer just banged some piece of metal.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:02 AM
John

3rd to 4th should be about the easiest shift out there, as it's just straight back. Are you trying to muscle the car into gear? If so, you're risking damage to your synchros... only time I ever have problems shifting is from 4th to 5th, where sometimes I go into 3rd, or when I'm downshifting from 5th / 4th to 3rd going into a corner, and I throw the car into 5th... that's about it though...
Old 04-30-2004, 09:04 AM
kcobean

The statements about the rev-limiter as it applies to this particular thread confuse me. A rev-limiter prevents you from applying throttle beyond a certain RPM, right? So in a missed shift situation, it's the transmission pushing the engine, not the accelerator pedal. The rev-limiter can't account for this, so the engine would still be at risk.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:07 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by John
3rd to 4th should be about the easiest shift out there, as it's just straight back. Are you trying to muscle the car into gear? If so, you're risking damage to your synchros... only time I ever have problems shifting is from 4th to 5th, where sometimes I go into 3rd, or when I'm downshifting from 5th / 4th to 3rd going into a corner, and I throw the car into 5th... that's about it though...
I'm with you, this is the no-brainer of shifts, I think it's just that in the 'heat of battle' mode that I was in, I was definitely shifting as quickly as possible, and wasn't giving as much attention to the shift gates as I should have been.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:49 AM
FairladyZ

Rev limiter, because its the ratio of mph/rpm/gear. The rev limiter saves your motor, but your tranny, driveshaft, and rear end just took a beating.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:17 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Both my son & I have missed by going into second when we thought it was fourth so your not alone.

Thank the Lord for rev limiter!!

I've done it twice but realized in a milisecond what I did & shoved in the clutch.

Quick Reply: Mis-shift.....Son of a .......