Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:52 PM
BoostTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow im impressed that the battery started the car...I have 2 PC925 sitting in my garage from my previous car. I ran two of them wired in parrallel(high wattage stereo). I couldnt fit both of them like i was able to in my last car and I didnt think 1 would be enough. I'll have to test it out one of these days.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Sly_Z

I don't know about this one.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:38 AM
toykilla

off to home depot
Old 09-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home Depot - Making Car Tuning Affordable
Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
OgreDave

Guess you're not one for car audio .. I'd prefer the audio & my Yellow or Red Top .. but to each his own.

Bracket & metal holder look very nice
Old 09-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Vlad

Stock Blose after recall replacement of amplifier is more or less satisfactory to me. Guess I'm not big audio enthusiast.

BTW, I strongly believe that 2 locations for speakers are better than 4 or 6 or 10... more than 2 is good for making a lot of noise, but for true stereo you need 2 sourses. So I keep my rear speakers off. I'd ged rid of them all together, but I'm not sure it'll be easy to sell when I deside to upgrade to newer Z
Old 09-02-2004, 03:49 PM
OgreDave

I agree w/the 2 speaker thing, as do many car audio enthusiasts. Rear fill pulls stage to the back, and basically you don't want that.

But I will need serious power for the Focal Utopias & whatever sub I end up going with .. so I don't think a smaller battery is a solution there.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Vlad

Than you probably would want something like this
http://www.proudlysa.co.za/about/news/2002/battery.html

Old 09-04-2004, 12:18 AM
OgreDave

Hey, we coulda used that in CA a few years ago w/the outtages ..
Old 09-14-2004, 12:24 AM
dnguyent

Vlad,

Great write-up!!!

How's the lightweight battery working for you (4 months now since you installed it). The battery in my Honda Accord just died, and I plan to transfer my OEM battery from the Z to the Honda, and possibly going with the Hawker Odyssey; although I might try out the PC680 with the metal jacket for additional heat protection.

I did some research too, and the amount of info found is quite overwhelming.

3 Questions for you:

1. Did you have to buy the SAE battery posts ($11) too, or did the battery you ordered come with it?
2. Would you recommend the PC680 over the PC545 if you didn't mind the additional 4 lbs?
3. I guess with these lightweight SLA batteries, the compromise is lower cold cranking amps and capacity. Have you had any issues with that?

Thanks in advance....

BTW, I'm also considering removing my rear speakers. I've cranked my fader all the way back and discovered that the rear speakers barely work at all!?!?!? I believe 90% of the total volume is coming from the front 4 speakers with the fader set on neutral, so unless I have a defective stereo, I think I will remove those rear speakers.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:52 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by dnguyent
1. Did you have to buy the SAE battery posts ($11) too, or did the battery you ordered come with it?
2. Would you recommend the PC680 over the PC545 if you didn't mind the additional 4 lbs?
3. I guess with these lightweight SLA batteries, the compromise is lower cold cranking amps and capacity. Have you had any issues with that?
[/B]
1. Yes, you need to buy posts separate

2. I never have slightest problem with 545, so I don't see need for additional 4 lbs. I just try not to run airconditioning or stereo with engine off. Just as a precaution. I also disconnected light in the trunck (useless anyway) so I can keep my hatch open as long as I wish without warrying.

3. Obviously I didn't run it in the cold yet. But I've read that other people did it and it wasn't a problem on a BMW in cold climate. If I will have some issues I simply will switch stock monster for winter. I don't race in winter anyway.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:13 PM
racin

Originally posted by Vlad
Guess I spoiled somebody's business... $235 is about 135, or 135% more than I paid for parts and battery...

http://www.ntechengineering.com/inde...12&model_id=10
Our kit does three things that you overlook. First, it takes away the need to fabricate it yourself, second, the install is much cleaner in the compartment, and third, our battery has more power while still being tiny...

Good DIY on your part, however...

Last edited by racin; 09-14-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:25 PM
MySunset350Z

got a question for you.

i ordered the pc545 for i was sent the pc680. it has 135more cranking amps then the 545, but im not sure its needed. it also weighs 2.7lbs more then the pc545. im pissed. the whole point of this thing was to drop as much weight as possible.

should i go through the hassle of returning it and getting a new one (internet order), or should i install it and get over it. hows the battery holding up now, anything new?

thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 02:43 AM
the7ferret

Optima have uses in Car audio, RV, and marine applications.. Thats where optima would come in real handy its the Deep Cycle, and the yellow tops high output which makes them better.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
got a question for you.

i ordered the pc545 for i was sent the pc680. it has 135more cranking amps then the 545, but im not sure its needed. it also weighs 2.7lbs more then the pc545. im pissed. the whole point of this thing was to drop as much weight as possible.

should i go through the hassle of returning it and getting a new one (internet order), or should i install it and get over it. hows the battery holding up now, anything new?

thanks
You really should deside for yourself. As my goal was to minimize weight, I'd return it and get 545.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:00 PM
UsafaRice

Shoot Vlad, I need to take a picture of my under-seat installation of this battery to show along with this thread. Hopefully, I get my camera working and can get them up soon.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:12 PM
OgreDave

Originally posted by UsafaRice
Shoot Vlad, I need to take a picture of my under-seat installation of this battery to show along with this thread. Hopefully, I get my camera working and can get them up soon.
Wow I'd love to see that Stock radio tho, right?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:37 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by UsafaRice
just get a new camera!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Vlad
just get a new camera!
Ok, maybe I should have gotten a new one in the end. Here're the goods.

The large strip of metal is aluminum. The black on it is PVC tape ("electrical tape") to keep it from cutting up wires and the seats. I have two connections to the negative side. 1 is grounded right on the metal by the seat bolt. The other goes to my grounding kit in the engine bay. The postive connection goes to the same postive fused block in the engine bay. This makes jump starting possible.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.-battery.jpg  
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
UsafaRice

Ok, the wires run under the carpet up to the hole in the firewall behind the stock battery location. I only have a Sony head unit. Some silvery, brushed-aluminum looking one with a blue LCD screen and red lights on the other buttons. I used the metra kit, so now I have a pocket for the nitrous buttons and switches to be hidden out of sight.

I also tossed the stock speakers and put in some Sony 3-way somethings up front. It sounds fine for what I use it for (that being, trying not to go deaf). Realistically, the Amuse R1 exhaust will overpower a lot of music anyway.

Tossing all the stock battery terminals and the stock battery tray saved an extra pound. The wires I'm using probably put that back on, but I don't mind. Oh yeah, the wires are out of some kit I bought at Walmart. I wanted some 2 gauge or something stereo power wires, but I couldn't buy them locally for anything reasonable in price. I'm thinking about putting in a little switch to shock the passenger when they annoy me too...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.-battery2.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.