Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People are still interested in this thread so I desided to post an update.

I'm still running the original version of installation I described here. But I made couple of imporved/simplified ones for other Z owners.

I made a picture of this new design. It's not a real drawing, but all I could do in Photoshop. The idea is to take just one piece of aluminum 1x1 for top braket. One one end cut of 3 sides and in 4th sticking out piece you drill a hole and put a bolt into it. Then bend it 90 deg so the bolt is like an antenna on a tower. Then you cut a little dent at the end of the bolt so it can grab the end of the lower hole on the chassis in battery compartment compartement (top left of the drawing)

The stock pole is too long now for this installation, so I got a threaded pole from HD and bent a hook on one side so it looks just like a stock pole, but shorter (right end of picture).

Then I put some self adhesive plastic bumps on the top and bottom of the battery. They are like 3/8 in diameter clear plastic pieces. They sold in Home Depot to put on the bottom of things so they don't scratch the table surface. Those bumps allows to clear the screw heads for bottom braket, and also the provide some kind of suspension. I put 5 on the bottom (corners and rear middle) and 4 on top (2 rear 2 front where the braket touches battery).

The lower braket is made from 1x1 (or 3/4 x 3/4) aluminum L-profile just like in original installation.

It's all quite simple if you see the picture. When all parts painted black it looks real cool and slick. (in technical sense of the word D).

I don't have presize enogh scales to weight the parts, but it's aroudn 3 5o 5 oz for everything. This new installation doesn't use any of stock bracket parts or threaded poles
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.-pc545.jpg  

Last edited by Vlad; 05-30-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the blue part is a quick photoshop of simplified design
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.-pc545-2.jpg