Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My paint job is fuc#ed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 PM
tdukeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My paint job is fuc#ed

k so here's the story....when i first bought the car I noticed that there were some chips and some scratches that needed to be addressed.

So I drop off the car all nice and shiny and waxed no grit no imperfections.

I pick it up after 4 days of not having it, and the first thing I did was run my hand over the paint. hhhhmmmmm used to be smooth now it feels rough and crappy. My guess is that the dumba$$ that painted the car did it outside. so now I'm looking at the customer service manager. She states that she'll do the finishing touch for free.

Well I just got it back tonight. Agreed it's a little shinier but I still feel the rough spots. Now i don't want to be a heal, but after spending 34k for this thing. I'll be damned if I have to live with it. Should I tell them to repaint the car or do the nice thing and see if they can make it all smooth again.

At this point I'm so sick and tired of seeing the dealer it's rediculous.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:14 PM
TZUNAMI

If you just bought it, I would ask for a new car or my money back. There is a time frame for returning a car after you buy it. Not sure when you reported the problems when you buy it, but I looked mine over with a magnifying glass before I signed on the dotted line.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Th3Cleaner

I purchased mine 1 month ago and it too has rough spots, the entire front end and on top of one fender. You can visably see the shiny parts and the rough parts.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
peterhong

You know, I used to worry about the little things like this and every little thing made me paranoid. That is, until some hater put a size 10 foot print in my drivers side door while I wasn't there. This put everything into perspective for me. Don't get me wrong, I still worry about the little things, but I would gladly take a little roughness on the paint as long as I couldn't visibly see it over a big ol dent in the door. BTW, I paid $39K for my car so I know how you feel.

I guess I'm just ranting here, but honestly, go back to the dealer and see what they can do for you. And by the way, there is absolutely no cooling-off period for buying a car. So NO, you can't return the car or get your money back the second after you sign your name on the dotted line. Try to buff out the rough parts, cause I know its a pain going to the dealer for these little things.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Sly_Z

That rough feeling is probably over spray of Clear. Does it fell sort of sandy or like rubbing your hand on a sheet of paper. Tell them they have over spray of clear coat on the car and the can remove it with this chemical and it won't effect the paint job that was done.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 AM
tdukeman

Originally posted by Sly_Z
That rough feeling is probably over spray of Clear. Does it fell sort of sandy or like rubbing your hand on a sheet of paper. Tell them they have over spray of clear coat on the car and the can remove it with this chemical and it won't effect the paint job that was done.
that's exactly how it feels I've even tried rubbing the hell out it with some wax. it made it feel a little better, and perhaps I was able to get some of it of, but there is still some there. I'll give the dealer a call and see if either they can do it or if I can.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Sly_Z

I know I had it on my other car after getting it painted and I took it back and the guy got a rag and a bottle of something and wipe it off. Then I touched the car it had that smooth feeling again. He said it was only overspray from the clear they put on.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:42 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by tdukeman
that's exactly how it feels I've even tried rubbing the hell out it with some wax. it made it feel a little better, and perhaps I was able to get some of it of, but there is still some there. I'll give the dealer a call and see if either they can do it or if I can.
You can also remove the overspray by clay barring the car yourself. It's pretty easy to do and at least you can trust yourself to do it right.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Sly_Z

What is Clay barring???
Old 05-05-2004, 08:23 AM
ronald_m

Bring it to a real good detailer.tell him to

1.clay bar it
2 polish it
3 seal it
4 top it with carnuaba wax

You'll be happy.Dont bring it back to the shop that fu$$ed up your car.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:31 AM
theSmoothDome

Originally posted by ronald_m
Bring it to a real good detailer.tell him to

1.clay bar it
2 polish it
3 seal it
4 top it with carnuaba wax

You'll be happy.Dont bring it back to the shop that fu$$ed up your car.

My understanding is that if you use a poylmer based polish like Zaino, using Caruba wax serves no purpose. If anything, you'll get a duller finish than if you just used Z-2.

Claybarring is not hard to do. You can pop for the $18.95 Zaino clay or get cheaper stuff from PepBoys that works just as well, from what I've heard. There's no way in hell I'm paying some guy $150.00- $200.00 to do what I can do in a few hours while I tip a few cold ones.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 AM
theSmoothDome

Originally posted by Sly_Z
What is Clay barring???
A Clay bar is just a piece of clay that run over the paint job to pick up contaminants that stick to the paint. Rail dust, dirt, overspray from body shops, all this stuff sticks to the paint and won't be removed during a normal wash.

By spraying a little lubrication (car wash soap and water mix), the clay will slide easily over the paint and pick up the contaminants, making the paint feel as smooth as a baby's butt.

Last edited by theSmoothDome; 05-05-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
ronald_m

Zaino is not a polish its a polymer sealant when i say polish im talkinga bout meguirs dacp,3m fine rubbing compound,menzerna polish.To seal it he can use klasse all in one top with Carnuaba wax.If you havent try it .See for your self.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Sly_Z

A bottle of rubbing alcohol might work.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:27 AM
cedusett

Gah, I wouldnt' go that far. Try claybarring it yourself first. Plus, if you wax it right afterwards it'll give you the best shine you've ever seen.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Sly_Z

I was just kidding about the alcohol.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:38 PM
willpower

Take it back to the dealer tell them you want them to wet sand and buff it......