Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

extended warrany for Z is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 AM
kws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warrany for Z is worth?

this time is my first time to buy a band new car
i want to know extended warrany for Z is worth?
if buy i need buy how many year extended?
thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 11:44 AM
328skidpad

Default personal opinion

I bought the warranty to just feel safe. I also know that a extended warranty makes a car a lot easier to sell especially being a sports car.

negotiate with the dealership because I have seen threads by which some people paid 600-800 for their 100K extended warranty...
good luck
Old 05-06-2004, 12:13 PM
kws

Default Re: personal opinion

how many extended year u bought?

Originally posted by 328skidpad
I bought the warranty to just feel safe. I also know that a extended warranty makes a car a lot easier to sell especially being a sports car.

negotiate with the dealership because I have seen threads by which some people paid 600-800 for their 100K extended warranty...
good luck
Old 05-06-2004, 12:58 PM
elyliu

i got a 5yr/100mi warrenty because I put a lot of miles on fast and 36k mi warrenty would be gone after year and half. And it would suck if anything happened after that.

Extended warrenty from factory does help resale value as well.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 PM
cedusett

That's really the only reason to buy this warranty: if you drive A LOT!

If you're going to drive a regular amount (say 10-15K a year), then don't waste your money. This extended warranty only covers manufacturers defect, not wear and tear. Predictably, you'll see most of these manufacturers defects early on in the car's life, so it will most likely be in the first 3 years/30K miles.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can have your clutch replaced under warranty at 40K miles, because they'll simply tell you that it burned out due to wear and tear, and you'll be paying for it anyway.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:20 PM
bixby

I bought 7/70k for mine just because it was a first year release. I'd probably not be as inclined to do so for the 04 due to the fact that most 03 issues (at least major ones) were resolved before the end of the model year and most of those issues would have been covered anyway. But I'd still buy some type of extended (maybe a 5/50) just because, other than moody, no one has really put the car to the test with a lot of miles etc. The piece of mind alone is probably worth it.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:13 AM
SQUILL

Default Re: extended warrany for Z is worth?

Originally posted by kws
this time is my first time to buy a band new car
i want to know extended warrany for Z is worth?
if buy i need buy how many year extended?
thanks
OK I will be the resident expert on this issue as I am a finance manager at a dealership and sell warranties for a living.

First off any mod that voids your factory warranty will viod your extended warranty so if you have turbos or superchargers in mind dont bother with an extended warranty ...i know its obvious to most people but trust me you would be suprised!

That being said the I will personally guarantee you that your 350z will suffer a major break down costing thousands of dollars to fix!!!!!!!

Here is the catch I wont guarantee you when....

The problem is we are driving aound in mechanical devices made up of thousands of parts all of which will eventualy fail at some point in time be it 3 months from now 20 years from now or 1000 years from now....the point is you never now what part is going to break at what point in time and how much the repair will cost.

I really do believe in the warranties I personally sell and they offer great benefits and with the legislation this day and age the extended warranty being offered to you at most dealerships will be either as good or in my case the coverage we offer is better than the original manufacturer's "bumper to bumper warranty"

I highly reccomend them you will be very glad if you are staring at a 3000 dollar repair bill that costs you a 50 dollar deductible..

Also dont buy into the reliability factor based on brands for example honda has a great reputation for reliability however how the manufacturers measure reliability is how many warranty claims per 100 units sold.

Toyota is # 1 with 19 claims per 100 units. midway down the pack in 11th i believe is Chevy with 24 claims per 100 units.

As you can see the margin is very tight ...you know every time i go to the Nissan dealer where my buddy is a sales manager the service department if chock full of Nisans being repaired. This is true of all makes and models everybodys service department is full and you always need an appointment to get your car fixed.

I know there are people out there that have sworn off extended warranties because you were burned before ..believe me its the most difficult objection to overcome "I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE BEFORE AND IT DIDNT COVER $H!T!

I hear you the industry as a whole is so regulated now that the chances of you buying a bougs extended warranty from a franchised new car dealer is next to nill.

EVERYBODY likes the fact that their new car is covered for 3yrs 36k miles. If you could have exactly the same coverage as your factory Nissan warranty except that now only its for 100k miles wouldnt you like that more?

Pay attention this is what your finance manager will be offering you when you purchase that new or used Z one day.

Will he make profit on the sale of that warranty yes ..so will the grocery store when you are buying your milk and eggs.. but for the 95% of 350Z owners who will never mod or very lightly mod (exaust wheels tires pop charger ect) your 350Z you would never go wrong in protecting your self with extended coverage!

My $.02 from your resident industry insider

sorry for the long post hope it helps you!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:39 AM
SQUILL

Originally posted by cedusett
That's really the only reason to buy this warranty: if you drive A LOT!

If you're going to drive a regular amount (say 10-15K a year), then don't waste your money. This extended warranty only covers manufacturers defect, not wear and tear. Predictably, you'll see most of these manufacturers defects early on in the car's life, so it will most likely be in the first 3 years/30K miles.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can have your clutch replaced under warranty at 40K miles, because they'll simply tell you that it burned out due to wear and tear, and you'll be paying for it anyway.
Ok i was not going to respond to this post but i feel compeled.

OK how you drive or how many miles you drive has nothing to do with if you need or dont need an extended warranty ..in fact nobody needs any extended warranty ever .. it is realy more of a function of what one wants not what one needs.

There is only one reason you would want an extended warranty and that is if you intend to own and drive your car after the odometer passes 36,000 miles.

A common misconception is that an extended warranty will only cover a manufacturers defect. This is not true every extended warranty is designed to cover any part within its coverage guidlines when either the part fails or when the part needs to be replaced because failure is imminent.

Another common misconception is that if the car is going to have problems it will show early on.

Wrong unless Jd powers, Consumer Reports and Every major
auto manufacturer in the world has false testing data
your car is 73% more likely to have a breakdown between 60 and 90k miles than it is from 0-36k miles.

wear and tear items as outlined by every major manufacturer and mirriored by all extended warranties are as follows.

Manual clutch disk, Brake pads and rotors, belts, hoses, battery cables and spark plug wires, emission equipment mainly hoses and valves, mufflers, door handles oh and of course tires.

THE rest of the 5000+ major mechanical and electrical parts are covered.

Hope this clarifies.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So can you purchase extended warranties after a purchase has been made. My Z has 23000 miles so my warranty is coming up.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:16 AM
SQUILL

Originally posted by skar 718
So can you purchase extended warranties after a purchase has been made. My Z has 23000 miles so my warranty is coming up.
Yes you may puchcase at any time and the price point is much better when the car is still under the 3yr 36k factory coverage.

I dont knoy about other dealers but when the vehicle is still under factory warranty we can offer 5yr 60k up to 7yr 100k bumper to bumper warranties. oh we can even offrer a 5yr 150k bumper to bumper!

call a few local dealers for a best price when you are ready!