Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you turn TCS/VDC 100% TOTALLY OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:17 AM
DJDaizzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Them Bones
What more does he need to say? The answer has already been given a number of times before the guessing games started.

G_Monster is completely wrong in his explanation. There are speed sensors on all wheels. This is how ABS works. TCS DOES cut throttle. And, yes, VDC/TCS can be completely disabled by the switch.

Just try it yourself. Turn it off, and you can slide all over the place. The only things that remain are brake LSD and ABS (all models). Brake LSD controls the spinning of just one wheel. If you're going to drift, you'll want to replace the stock LSD with something better anyway, so the brake LSD should not be a problem.
Exactly, the stock LSD is way too slow, get a 2 way and call it a dayl.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 AM
BOZ23

on my touring model, I can push the vdc button and it will disable it. but when I turn the engine off and start it up again, the vdc automatically turns back on. I think dank311 was asking if it can be turned off completely even when you start the engine up again. am I right dank311??
Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Pusha_Z

What more does he need to say? The answer has already been given a number of times before the guessing games started.

G_Monster is completely wrong in his explanation. There are speed sensors on all wheels. This is how ABS works. TCS DOES cut throttle. And, yes, VDC/TCS can be completely disabled by the switch.

Just try it yourself. Turn it off, and you can slide all over the place. The only things that remain are brake LSD and ABS (all models). Brake LSD controls the spinning of just one wheel. If you're going to drift, you'll want to replace the stock LSD with something better anyway, so the brake LSD should not be a problem.
Fair enough Them Bones, I recant my previous statement but just posting "misinformation" does not help anyone.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Them Bones

Originally posted by Pusha_Z
Fair enough Them Bones, I recant my previous statement but just posting "misinformation" does not help anyone.
I thought he had given an answer in an earlier post. If not, I misread. Sorry.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
dank311

I am asking...even if you turn the switch to "off" does it still activate under emergency situations(or performance situation like drifting or even in a roadrace).

I know many of you say that when you turn the switch off, it feels like its off. But I distinctly remember on BM DVD that they said it will still come on in emergency situations(or oversteer). But they said this while they were testing the Z and the G. So, Im not sure if its only for the G, or for both.

Right now, I might have to forget about the G if you cant disable the VDC somehow. Maybe the Base model Z with a Cusco LSD is the way to go. Hmmm....Does anyone know for SURE if you can turn VDC off on non-base model Z's, and any of the G35's? Any proof?

Jon
Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Renesis

OMG you guys.
VDC cannot be turned off completely, no matter its a JDM model or a NA model..
VDC on 350Z and G35 cannot be turned off completely. It will be activated when a real dangerous situation occurs. This topic has been over killed so many times at freshalloy and g35driver and even Best Motoring and Hot Version.

Check your info guys.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 PM
dank311

Ok renesis...thats what I have been told as well...but what about the Base or enthusiast model Z's. I know they dont have a VDC button, but for some wierd reason, will this still occur?
Jon
Old 07-19-2004, 05:52 PM
dank311

Has anyone actually noticed a difference while aggressively driving or drifting a Base model Z compared to a Z or G equipped with VDC?
Jon
Old 07-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Renesis

I am not sure about the ones that don't have VDC but I can assure you that the ones with VDC cannot be turned off 100%. As I said it has been overkilled many many times.

Most of the cars on the market that has VDC, VSA, DSC or wutever they are called can't be turned off completely. You can still do some crazy *** stuff with it but it would prevent you from going over the board. I personally wouldn't let VDC prevent me from buying a Z because I would say 98% of the car on the market has the system designed the same way.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 PM
sschmuve

Ok.....

During the winter I did some good snow drifting in a parking lot with the VDC OFF (Yes, the light was on). During a wild slide the SLIP light flashed, but I didn't really feel it try to correct. I thought "no way, what was that?", and tried it again. About 3 tries later I got the SLIP again, and again didn't really feel it, but it may have been doing something. It was hard to tell with the car spinning out and all the engine noise.

So it is always partially on, but if it does activate while off, you have to be completely spinning out of control.

I think I remember somebody saying it was just the 03's in an old post, but not sure on that one.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 PM
G Monster
Banned

Originally posted by Renesis
OMG you guys.
VDC cannot be turned off completely, no matter its a JDM model or a NA model..
VDC on 350Z and G35 cannot be turned off completely. It will be activated when a real dangerous situation occurs. This topic has been over killed so many times at freshalloy and g35driver and even Best Motoring and Hot Version.

Check your info guys.
Thank you for helping these guys out and pointing them to a better source of information than this sad thread. Enthusiast models with TCS only use the rear speed sensors and can be switched off. It is the model to get if you want even a lame LSD.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Pusha_Z

Originally posted by G Monster
Thank you for helping these guys out and pointing them to a better source of information than this sad thread. Enthusiast models with TCS only use the rear speed sensors and can be switched off. It is the model to get if you want even a lame LSD.
yes! and like I said I recant the statement about calling the guy a jacka$$ but dont come on the thread calling "misinformation" when it is in fact you (jckolnturn) that is spewing the wrong info
Old 07-19-2004, 11:44 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I still have to say (from experience) that VDC can be turned off fully with the switch.

However, the ABS system will not turn off and neither will the throttle-response-reduction-with-brake-on-thingy.

Now, so far I have heard many people saying things to the contrary, but no has yet posted any first hand info or excerpts from any owners manual or design specs. I doubt even the Best Motoring guys know exactly what is happening when they say VDC is still on. For instance, how to they know it is VDC and not ABS or TCS?

Again, from what I have personally done, both on the Track and AutoX, I can say that VDC certainly turns off. The only thing that would make me think otherwise is that during braking and cornering you can get the front end to push which will cause the fronts to lock up and will make the ABS activate and will feel like VDC. However, if you get on the gas instead of the brake, you can still easily do a donut which wouldn't be possible if VDC was still on.

For drifting, maybe you are braking and gassing at the same time frequently, in which case all Z's would be tough since they all have the throttle response reduction thing. But for normal track use and AutoX, turning off VDC seems to get the job done.

However, I too, have not found any specific data to back this up other than first hand "experimentation" at the track and AutoX.

Later,
D'oh!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 PM
nizl

It cracks me up that I got my car in Sept 2002 and STILL this topic lurks with the same basic posts.

And yet Nissan doesn't tell you one way or the other what the real answer is.

That should tell you something about the company...
Old 07-20-2004, 04:08 AM
Them Bones

Originally posted by nizl
It cracks me up that I got my car in Sept 2002 and STILL this topic lurks with the same basic posts.

And yet Nissan doesn't tell you one way or the other what the real answer is.

That should tell you something about the company...
Nissan DOES tell you. People just refuse to believe the manual.

Let me ask you guys this. VDC is there to intervene in an emergency situation in which you are starting to lose control. If you believe it "turns itself back on" in an emergency situation, what would be the point of allowinig you to turn it off in the first place?

I personally have found no hint of it after hitting the button. Also, all the I crashed my car posts seem to begin with "I turned off VDC and...". Where was VDC in those emergency situations? Off.

If you need a car w/o ANY of these modern "safety features", you should find something with a throttle cable and no ABS, which is where all this stuff comes from. Good luck. Otherwise, just hit the button and have some fun!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Renesis

Let me ask you guys this. VDC is there to intervene in an emergency situation in which you are starting to lose control. If you believe it "turns itself back on" in an emergency situation, what would be the point of allowinig you to turn it off in the first place?

I personally have found no hint of it after hitting the button. Also, all the I crashed my car posts seem to begin with "I turned off VDC and...". Where was VDC in those emergency situations? Off.

If you need a car w/o ANY of these modern "safety features", you should find something with a throttle cable and no ABS, which is where all this stuff comes from. Good luck. Otherwise, just hit the button and have some fun!
It does turn back on in very emergency situations. About every VDC system is designed so you can partially turn it off but it will come back on to save you if you made very mad mistakes that triggers the sensors. BMW, MB, Nissan, Honda, Toyota ...... all do the same thing. BMW introduced a new DSC system for the new M5 that is the first BMW that has 2 modes, mode 1 for VDC off but will come back on if made serious mistakes and mode 2 that is completely shut down and its a first for BMW. I can assure you that you can still drift after you turn ur VDC off but it will come back on when you go too far. And one more thing is that VDC is not superman, it can't save everything you did wrong. It is to PREVENT some of the accidents happening NOT ELIMINATE them all.

and why would you think aftermarket suppliers like Espirit made a switch that turns of VDC completely?? I wouldnt say they know any less than you or me when they can make such an amazing Espirit 350Z.

The only cars that can turn off VDC completely that I know of right now is only RX 8 and the upcoming M5. All others are partially off no matter its 350Z, G35, M3, 330Ci, IS300...........
Old 07-20-2004, 08:22 AM
G Monster
Banned

Originally posted by Renesis
It does turn back on in very emergency situations. About every VDC system is designed so you can partially turn it off but it will come back on to save you if you made very mad mistakes that triggers the sensors. BMW, MB, Nissan, Honda, Toyota ...... all do the same thing. BMW introduced a new DSC system for the new M5 that is the first BMW that has 2 modes, mode 1 for VDC off but will come back on if made serious mistakes and mode 2 that is completely shut down and its a first for BMW. I can assure you that you can still drift after you turn ur VDC off but it will come back on when you go too far. And one more thing is that VDC is not superman, it can't save everything you did wrong. It is to PREVENT some of the accidents happening NOT ELIMINATE them all.

and why would you think aftermarket suppliers like Espirit made a switch that turns of VDC completely?? I wouldnt say they know any less than you or me when they can make such an amazing Espirit 350Z.

The only cars that can turn off VDC completely that I know of right now is only RX 8 and the upcoming M5. All others are partially off no matter its 350Z, G35, M3, 330Ci, IS300...........
The performance Nissan guys know how to do it. The best way is to pull the harness to the yaw sensor which will cause an error in the VDC which will default it as non-functional and turn it off 100%.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:46 AM
wildone_106

If you dont want it, get the model that does'nt have it. And why the heck could'nt the Touring have it, it does'nt work with the Auto tranny? why would I wanna drive it less safely
Old 07-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Them Bones

I know, I should let this topic die, but I just wanted to add this from the service manual:

"Sudden turns (such as spin turns, acceleration turns), drifting, etc. When VDC function is OFF (VDC SW ON) may cause the yaw rate/side G - sensor system indicate a problem. However this is not a problem if normal operation can be resumed after restarting the engine."

This is why you see the slip light when VDC is off. VDC OFF and SLIP lights only illuminate together when a problem is detected.

Also, the ABS/TCS/VDC module is under the dash, above the brake pedal. If you want to unplug it, look there.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:23 PM
rolling

YES it IS in the manual

it does NOT turn off %100 in ALL circumstances under EVERY condition.. Could you imagine the lawsuits with no safety backup at all? liek if something in the system had an electronic problem
if the TCS/ VDC was on ?? even iff off there has to be SOMETHING under extreme conditions like it says in manuel.
thankyou for your support

Quick Reply: Can you turn TCS/VDC 100% TOTALLY OFF?