2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you turn TCS/VDC 100% TOTALLY OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:54 PM
dank311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you turn TCS/VDC 100% TOTALLY OFF?

I am interested in getting a touring model Z, but I have searched the boards and found a few contradicting answers on the subject....

Can you or can you not turn VDC/TCS TOTALLY 100% off....I will be using my car for drifting and autoX in the future, so I dont want these things to interfear. If its not able to be removed totally, I am just going to get a Base or Enthusiast model..

Also, I have read something about unplugging the "black box" to turn these features off.

Let me know if anyone has a definate answer on these issues...Has anyone successfully turned VDC off 100% by using the black box method?

thanks,
Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 06:22 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a switch that turns off TCS & VDC.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:29 PM
D'oh

I have turned mine off 100% using the switch.

Nothing else is necessary.

However, if you corner too hard and brake while doing so, the front end will push and ABS will start to activate (even if you are braking softly). I think the phenomenom makes many people feel as though VDC is still active. However, as soon as you take your foot off the brake, the ABS stops, so I doubt it is the VDC.

In my experience, you can definitely turn it off all the way.

-D'oh!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:33 PM
kws

holding down that button for five seconds

i don't know is it work or not in z350

my frd is use it to trun off DSC in his RX-8
Old 05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
dank311

Why are there so many posts on this where people seem to think that the button doesn't turn it off all the way???

Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 07:58 PM
HanZolo

AFAIK it turns back on under braking even if you've "disabled" it with the switch.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:27 PM
___DJK___

Originally posted by kws

Yeah I dunno if that will work. Its a Nissan not a Dell.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:58 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by kws

my frd is use it to trun off DSC in his RX-8

I do believe some BMWs and other cars work this way. Using the button to disable tractio control only partially disables it. Holding the button for a few seconds completely disables it.

I don't think this procedure applies to the 350Z. As far as I know, the button turns it off completely. (Other than the VDC-while-braking question that comes up occasionally.)
Old 05-08-2004, 11:04 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by HanZolo
AFAIK it turns back on under braking even if you've "disabled" it with the switch.
Wrong.

It's just ABS.

-D'oh!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:10 PM
dkny_boi

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but i think why some ppl think that is because sport compact car mentions it in their magazine. How when they tried to do a burnout for a photo shoot the traction control kept breaking up the fun and cutting power to the engine... and the only way to get a full on burnout was to disconnect the brake switch, then light up the tires.
Hope i don't get too flamed for this, but does anyone else know more about this at all?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:43 PM
overlord tom

It's real simple. Push the button once and on VDC+TCS models you see "VDC off" on the dash, on TCS only models, you see a "TCS off" light. Once off, the computer shuts it off totally. Has nothing to do with brakes, oil changes, or anything else. lol. You don't "hold it down" either. One press, its done. You can't turn off ABS. I don't think even disconnecting the brake switch (which is for the brake lights) will matter. It's the slip sensor at each wheel you would need to disconnect. Who knows what that would do to the braking of the car though. Totally unadvised. If the car hesitates with VDC/TCs off, you better go to the dealer, sounds like a fuel starvation problem or something similar. I can do doughnuts with it off no problem.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:23 AM
dkny_boi

It wasn't me that had the problems with the engine cutting out, it was stated in the magazine. Now i know that not everything they write is definate... it just made me curious that's all.
I know donuts should be no problem ... but how about stand-still burnouts? Left foot on brakes, right foot floored and lighting them up... i've never tried... anyone who has?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Fede

you can get VDC/TCS 100% disabled with switch

the only thing you cannot turn off is the electronic LSD
Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 AM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The reason that the engine cuts out under braking is that the drive by wire system is designed to reduce throttle position to something like 20% of what it should be at the given throttle position when not under braking. This is to make heel-toeing easier and safer, you can just mash the accellerator unprecisely with your heel while braking with your toe, and not worry about overdoing it or bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:21 AM
Pusha_Z

TCS can be turned off 100%
VDC can be switched off but it will not be completely disabled. This is the reason many people get the Enthusiast as opposed to higher models.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Pusha_Z
VDC can be switched off but it will not be completely disabled. This is the reason many people get the Enthusiast as opposed to higher models.
and you got this info from where?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:18 AM
jckolnturn

Originally posted by Pusha_Z
incorrect information
Old 07-12-2004, 06:22 AM
jckolnturn

Originally posted by r34 racer
The reason that the engine cuts out under braking is that the drive by wire system is designed to reduce throttle position to something like 20% of what it should be at the given throttle position when not under braking. This is to make heel-toeing easier and safer, you can just mash the accellerator unprecisely with your heel while braking with your toe, and not worry about overdoing it or bouncing off the rev limiter.
I think you have it but typed it backwards. When you hit the brake on the 350Z the ECU cuts the throttle a certain amount. This is why if you try holding the Z with the brake and doing a burnout it doesn't work. It's easily taken care of by pulling a fuse, i think it's the one for the brake lights.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Silver_Racer

Originally posted by r34 racer
In that case, shouldn't throttle response be reduced while "under braking"??
Old 07-12-2004, 07:10 AM
importriders

Best Motoring video(the one with the RX-8 and Fixed up Z showdown)stated when testing the Z the VDC will enable under hazardous conditions. Not sure if this was just a JDM thing or not.

Quick Reply: Can you turn TCS/VDC 100% TOTALLY OFF?