Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

break in???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 12:00 PM
admorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in???

Does anyone out there actually truly break in their cars to mfr's specs? I have had motorcycles and sports cars for half of my life and have never broken them in. In fact, I seem to have had better luck than most people who DO break them in to spec. Just curious to see what people are doing out there. I personally drove it off the lot like I had 10000 miles on it.

thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:17 PM
yiaquemini

breaking in an engine allows your car to perform a little better and more reliable in the long run.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:38 PM
admorris

thanks for the reply, but I guess I was looking for a little bit more information as far as reasons behind breaking in soft vs. full bore. The information I have used for breaking in is listed below. Like I said before, it has always worked for me on my sport bikes and a couple of sports cars, but I wanted opinions on what you car guys thought.

thanks again

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 05-09-2004, 03:32 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,
With the excepetion of the occasional full-throttle indiscretion, I drove my car nicely to 1200 miles. There's probably alot of metalurgical and mechanical logic behind which is best, and so far, I haven't heard anyone provide a "scientific" explanation of which is better. I have a hard time believing that Nissan would recommend an approach that didn't result in the longest lifespan for all of the drivetrain parts, since every warranty failure comes out of their pocket. I say follow the book unless you can find somebody who can scientifically dispute it.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:19 PM
JAMESZ

The reason for breaking in the engine is to let the rings set properly. Most of the ring setting (about 80%) happens in the first few miles of driving. The last 20% takes some time to finish and is why you typically break in for the first 1K or so miles. Now if your rings don't set properly do to abusive driving or other reasons you will have problems in the future and the problems from this are lovely fun fixes .
There are a few other theorys on breaking in engines but I believe it would be best to follow Nissan recommendations so that your engine will perform at peak performance.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:24 PM
LemanZ

Shxt man, I just drove 3000km soft to run in the engine, do I still need to break in the engine??

Last edited by LemanZ; 05-09-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:25 AM
admorris

From everything I have read, I do not believe that running in an engine soft is the way to go. The theory behind the link that I posted earlier seems to be more sound than babying the engine for a couple thousand miles. To each his own, but I know from dyno results etc. that running in an engine hard and putting it through heat cycles produces more horse power and I have yet to experience any problems long term (both sport bikes and sports cars).
Old 05-10-2004, 06:34 AM
bcmember

Originally posted by kcobean
Hey,
With the excepetion of the occasional full-throttle indiscretion, I drove my car nicely to 1200 miles. There's probably alot of metalurgical and mechanical logic behind which is best, and so far, I haven't heard anyone provide a "scientific" explanation of which is better. I have a hard time believing that Nissan would recommend an approach that didn't result in the longest lifespan for all of the drivetrain parts, since every warranty failure comes out of their pocket. I say follow the book unless you can find somebody who can scientifically dispute it.
Well actually quite a few people have supported this on the forum that I have read. I specifically remember a dino thread where some people were getting higher outputs and they were attributing it to the break in.

What was said in the article makes sense, hopefully more people will post their opinion but to say that the nissan break in is best because they wouldn't want to pay for fixes, means little. If that were the case they wouldn't release a car that has any issues, and maybe just maybe they tell you this break in because the other one might lead to lawsuits. If they suggested to floor it and then dramtically slow down for optimal engine break in and someone followed this and got into a accident, they may have made themselves liable. Remember Nissan is a profit company if its safer to their bottom line or benefits them in any other way they will tell you to do stuff that might not benefit you most. So if you lose 2% to 10% of Power what do they care?

Just a thought
Old 05-10-2004, 07:05 AM
admorris

Originally posted by bcmember
Well actually quite a few people have supported this on the forum that I have read. I specifically remember a dino thread where some people were getting higher outputs and they were attributing it to the break in.

What was said in the article makes sense, hopefully more people will post their opinion but to say that the nissan break in is best because they wouldn't want to pay for fixes, means little. If that were the case they wouldn't release a car that has any issues, and maybe just maybe they tell you this break in because the other one might lead to lawsuits. If they suggested to floor it and then dramtically slow down for optimal engine break in and someone followed this and got into a accident, they may have made themselves liable. Remember Nissan is a profit company if its safer to their bottom line or benefits them in any other way they will tell you to do stuff that might not benefit you most. So if you lose 2% to 10% of Power what do they care?

Just a thought
Amen brother!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:12 AM
supra crazy

Originally posted by bcmember

Just a thought

What problemes might some one have if they dont break in there engine? I did not break mine in properly and still made 246whp stock.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:34 AM
bcmember

Originally posted by supra crazy
What problemes might some one have if they dont break in there engine? I did not break mine in properly and still made 246whp stock.

Thats just it by not breaking it in, basically you ran it hard, which is what the article suggests doing, so inadvertantly you broke it in porperly according to the article. I am not syaing its best but the article made sense to me is all.