Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Nissan Can't Figure Out Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 01:19 PM
fblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Nissan Can't Figure Out Problem

My car (automatic tranny) squeaks whenever the car shifts from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd if I am driving hard. This sound usually only occurs when there is a hard shift. Under normal driving conditions in the automatic mode, the car doesn't make the sound, or it is very low. In manual mode it always makes the sound, as the shifts are harder. It's definitely coming from the drivers side of the car.

I took it to the dealer and the mechanic tried to give me some bull that it was my popcharger, but I went right to the manager. The mechanic was a clown, as was the service rep. The manager was more receptive and agreed that there was a problem. The service manager agreed that it wasn't the intake, as the sound did not occur when revving the engine in park. I told him about the axle spline problem that some here have complained about. When the splines were cleaned, lubed up, and repacked that the sound went away. He told me that it didn't sound like the problem, as the sound seemed to be coming from the front of the car (I can't tell if it's the front or back). He also said that they fixed one car with the spline problem, but the sound was more of a clicking sound, not creaking or squeaking. He wants a Nissan Tech guy to look at it, as their are no bulletins on this problem on techline.

Does anyone have any idea what this sound could be? I'm going nuts. Additionally, what are my options as far as trading the car for another Z, as I've brought the car in twice and they can't fix the sound?

The service manager actually told me that I'm revving the car too much. I said "it's a sports car, not a Sentra". Besides, the sound is made while shifting above 4,000 RPMs, not at redline.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Aggro_Al

Nevermind. Deleted
Old 05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belt slipping slightly during a hard shift.

My friend has an Auto 97 Mustang GT w/ a kenne bell supercharger and the belt slips between shifts durning hard acceleration.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:03 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet that it is a belt. What else have you done besides the popcharger?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:39 PM
ZxRage

does the noise sound like a whistling and is there any loss in power when accelerating?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:53 AM
fblue

I have only put the popcharger in. No other performance enhancements. The sound does sound like a whistleing, but I don't lose any power. It only happens when the car is shifting. I still think it has to do with the axle splines, as it only happens when weight is shifted to the back of the car under a hard gear change.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:59 AM
peterhong

Could it be the popcharger whistling???
Old 05-15-2004, 11:38 AM
RANDY350Z

I would take it to another dealer. Also, if they can't fix the problem, notify Nissan customer service and ask that they send a "pro" tech out--someone who has worked on nissan's for a long time. Usually there are people in the area that have worked on them for at tleast ten years!
Old 05-15-2004, 11:40 AM
RANDY350Z

DON'T TRADE IN YET, YOU WILL LOSE! Wait at least two more years to balance equal. A good time to trade is around 4 years of ownership.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:31 AM
fblue

Originally posted by peterhong
Could it be the popcharger whistling???
Does the popcharger whistle? Does it do so only when Shifting? Perhaps that is it?