2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan marketing genius??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 02:15 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan marketing genius??

It just occured to me that this preorder program is a very clever idea by Nissan for marketing reasons. They can only make a certain number of cars in the first year, and they know the car will be hot. They know they can sell them all with little or no advertising budget, and if sold normally there would be huge dealer markups and all the usual problems.

But by having a little-known preorder program, they get mostly the hard-core Z fans who are following the progress of the car and want it bad. Are these the most critical purchasers? No -- we will (for the most part) absolutely LOVE our cars! What better way to launch a new vehicle than to seed the world with 7,500 or so enthusiastic evangelists spreading the kind of word-of-mouth publicity that you can't buy at any price? For 2004 and onwards, we are the ad campaign -- and it doesn't cost Nissan a cent!!

Good idea! (And I'm not complaining, either. Better save the ad dollars and put more value into the car.)
Old 06-09-2002, 02:24 AM
BrianZ

Also it helps with production planning because they know what models, options, and colors people want.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:32 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Im a Marketing Major at Mc Combs School of Buiness University of Texas... and im thinking of doing a project on Nissans Marketing Plan...

I might do a DBA and this would be a good specialty area... but none the less... pure freakin genius....

The best thing is they know the Cars are hot and are already sold and have money down on them... this helps out with operating cost... not to mention the free advertising of Z heads driving them around for a couple of months... Pure Genius...

CHEVY has a 2004 Corvette set to be released... but there is no plan like this set for them.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:32 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by Rxramon
Im a Marketing Major at Mc Combs School of Buiness University of Texas... and im thinking of doing a project on Nissans Marketing Plan...

I might do a DBA and this would be a good specialty area... but none the less... pure freakin genius....

The best thing is they know the Cars are hot and are already sold and have money down on them... this helps out with operating cost... not to mention the free advertising of Z heads driving them around for a couple of months... Pure Genius...

CHEVY has a 2004 Corvette set to be released... but there is no plan like this set for them.
That's great you're getting a Marketing Degree. One of my degrees is a Bachelor's in Marketing.

You could collect ideas from people about why this pre-order system is good for marketing, but I wouldn't say that the pre-order down-payments help with operating costs, because NNA doesn't collect that money, just the dealership, and the dealership's financial workings are VERY different than the manufacturer's.

$0.02
Old 06-09-2002, 04:04 AM
john0213

Default Re: Nissan marketing genius??

Originally posted by z350z
It just occured to me that this preorder program is a very clever idea by Nissan for marketing reasons. They can only make a certain number of cars in the first year, and they know the car will be hot. They know they can sell them all with little or no advertising budget, and if sold normally there would be huge dealer markups and all the usual problems.

But by having a little-known preorder program, they get mostly the hard-core Z fans who are following the progress of the car and want it bad. Are these the most critical purchasers? No -- we will (for the most part) absolutely LOVE our cars! What better way to launch a new vehicle than to seed the world with 7,500 or so enthusiastic evangelists spreading the kind of word-of-mouth publicity that you can't buy at any price? For 2004 and onwards, we are the ad campaign -- and it doesn't cost Nissan a cent!!

Good idea! (And I'm not complaining, either. Better save the ad dollars and put more value into the car.)
Totally agree with ya!~