Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z owners you meet friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:17 PM
elyliu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Z owners you meet friendly?

I've had my car for a little over a month. Haven't met a lot of friendly Z owners. Most of them don't even acknoledge me.

Maybe because I live in LA area and Zs are dime a dozen. Just on the way home today, I saw 3 Zs. One exactly like mine (CS roadster). Maybe the owners are just mad that their Z is not as exclusive as it should be.

Tonite one of them gave me a look like "Yes? Should I be happy to see you?" kinda look.

How do the other Z owners react to you?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM
nokidz

When I drove english cars, drivers with the same car would nod or wave when they passed. When I ride my motorcycle, riders nod or wave when they pass. When I see other Z cars on the road, drivers either ignore the fact that there are other Z cars in the world, or give you that incredulous look if you attempt to say hi. At the track everyone is really friendly, but Z drivers on the road are no fun.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:39 PM
elyliu

Only Z that played w/ me that I remember was a red coupe. Had a license plate "LUNDY" or something?

Is he a my350z forum member?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:56 PM
IsatteliteI

Whenever I see someone on the road with a Z, if possible I give the driver a little nod. If he/she decides to wave or whatever I make sure to return the gesture.
It's not necessarily rude for someone in a Z not to wave to me when I'm driving, after all the only obvious thing we have in common is a car. Now personally I love my car, and every Z I see, but there are people who simply bought the car because they "liked" it and don't feel like getting into the whole Z thing and you kind of have to respect that. They'll learn eventually...
Old 05-17-2004, 10:12 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this huge grin when I'm cruising in my Z so I come off as a bit nutty to ANY driver on the road.

When I bump into another Z, 3 times out of 4, it's usually some guy twice, or maybe three times my age.(no offense guys)

Off the bat they'll give me dirty looks or pretend as if we don't have the same car. Wrinkled nose up in the air and brushed back grey hair. I love and respect the older enthusiasts but Chill out guys it's not a porsche or ferrari.

Today I saw another Z come the opposite way as me. Expecting to be cold shouldered, I just ignored it but the driver, older guy, rolled down his windows and pointed my way. How refreshing...I guess I was wrong. You oldschoolers are still cool in my book

But you know what? Screw it! From NOW ON when I see another Z i'm going to stick my head out the window, throw up the "W" and scream at the top of my lungs:

"Weeeestsiiiide Biiiiaaaaatch!"

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 05-17-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:08 AM
mgl

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
I have this huge grin when I'm cruising in my Z so I come off as a bit nutty to ANY driver on the road.

When I bump into another Z, 3 times out of 4, it's usually some guy twice, or maybe three times my age.(no offense guys)

Off the bat they'll give me dirty looks or pretend as if we don't have the same car. Wrinkled nose up in the air and brushed back grey hair. I love and respect the older enthusiasts but Chill out guys it's not a porsche or ferrari.

Today I saw another Z come the opposite way as me. Expecting to be cold shouldered, I just ignored it but the driver, older guy, rolled down his windows and pointed my way. How refreshing...I guess I was wrong. You oldschoolers are still cool in my book

But you know what? Screw it! From NOW ON when I see another Z i'm going to stick my head out the window, throw up the "W" and scream at the top of my lungs:

great! ur gonna scare all the older z drivers in your neighborhood. but i also get the same reactions. most ignore me, eventhough i know they see me. but oh well! i guess i start sticking my head out the window and scream, just like you
Old 05-18-2004, 05:34 AM
Dr. Greg

Default Kinda like "Harley riders don't wave..."

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
..I guess I was wrong. You oldschoolers are still cool in my book
Speaking as an oldschooler, thanks!

This topic reminds me of the "Harley riders don't wave" flame wars that have occurred for years on M/C groups (I ride a Ducati and Aprilia).

Seems like vehicle identity being a projection of your own can get pretty serious, but heck, I'll wave to any Z owner I see around here.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 AM
cedusett

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

I actually get a wave every now and then, or a headlight flash, but yeah there are still those owners who think that they're too cool for school. Or like you said, the older crowd sometimes looks at me and scoffs in that arrogant "he can't possibly have the same car as me, look at all I've done with my fancy pants life" attitude, but f*ck them. I wave or honk or flash all teh Z's I see.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:57 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's about 50/50 around here, although a couple of weeks ago our local Z club (all years, including late 60's roadsters) went on a "membership drive" where we split up into 3 car teams and drove around the county looking for other Z's, flagged them down or stopped at their house/apartment and tried to convince them to join the club. Our team flagged down about 7 or 8 Z's and only one blew us off - 4 of them met us at a local watering hole at the end of the day and joined the club. Now THOSE were what you would call Z people! If they don't respond to you, they are probably NOT Z people
Old 05-18-2004, 10:56 AM
DrVolkl

Up here in Seattle, I get waves, headlight flashes, etc etc from pretty much every Z I run into.....and the other person is initiating it! Pretty cool...reminds me of when I had a Jeep Wrangler.

I also get punks trying to race me on the freeways all the time. What a pain! To all those who own stock Jetta's: Your car is not fast. Leave me alone.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
FairladyZ

I have gotten maybe one wave from another Z owner. I dont even bother anymore. Most seem pretty arrogant (sp) even in person.

When I had my TA totally different. Every TA, Firebird, and Camaro owner waves, flashes, etc.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Big Sexz

Here in South Kalacki people are pretty nice. I get waives and lights from most everyone. The car is still pretty rare around here, but I'm starting to see more and more of them. I love this car.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:31 AM
kzshin

Hey elyliu, I live very closed to Cerritos, in fact I go there all the times. I have a SB Z coupe.

What part of Cerritos you live???? Near bloomfield and South????

Most Z driver I met are very friendly, except from these area:
1.) Roland Height
2.) Monterey Park
Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM
code350z

hey I'm like 5mins from cerritos too. i do alot of driving in 562, 818, 626, 323. I always take the first step and wave or give a thumbs up to Z owners. and they respond back with a smile or whatever....want to meet sometime....i'll give u a thumbs up
Old 05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
wildone_106

Talking

LOL!!! That happened to me just the other day on I90 near downtown, whats up with Jetta drivers?!

Oh and the other "Z" (BMW"s) their owners pretend Im not there LOL too funny..

Originally posted by DrVolkl

I also get punks trying to race me on the freeways all the time. What a pain! To all those who own stock Jetta's: Your car is not fast. Leave me alone.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:11 PM
elyliu

I live in Cerritos. and working North Hollywood. and used to go to school at UCI. So I am familiar with most of southern california.

I live on 166th and Norwalk (edge of cerritos)

hey kzshin, you are not the SB coupe that dissed me last night was it? The one that gave me the "Yes? Should I be happy to see you?" look. I was on 166th and Bloomfield at the time.

Is there a Z club around us? Maybe we should start a 562 one ....
Old 05-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Montez

Originally posted by FairladyZ
I have gotten maybe one wave from another Z owner. I dont even bother anymore. Most seem pretty arrogant (sp) even in person.

When I had my TA totally different. Every TA, Firebird, and Camaro owner waves, flashes, etc.
Its bad in our area isnt it, they barely look if that!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:56 PM
DrVolkl

Thumbs up

Originally posted by wildone_106
LOL!!! That happened to me just the other day on I90 near downtown, whats up with Jetta drivers?!

Oh and the other "Z" (BMW"s) their owners pretend Im not there LOL too funny..
So damn funny...it happened to me last night on the I-90 bridge towards downtown. Stupid silver jetta.

I never see any super black Z's in Seattle...just a few silver ones, a bunch of Le Mans, one white and one red....that's it. Oh, and a few Dayona's down southcenter way.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:19 PM
wildone_106

ahh my VW was greenish, they're all the same though!
I seen quite a few SB's around, I usually do a nod/smile or finger wave if I see another Z, so far its been 50/50 but I dont expect anything, its nice when someone returns the gesture though!

Originally posted by DrVolkl
So damn funny...it happened to me last night on the I-90 bridge towards downtown. Stupid silver jetta.

I never see any super black Z's in Seattle...just a few silver ones, a bunch of Le Mans, one white and one red....that's it. Oh, and a few Dayona's down southcenter way.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:44 PM
T.Lowry

Default Re: Z owners you meet friendly?

Originally posted by elyliu
I've had my car for a little over a month. Haven't met a lot of friendly Z owners. Most of them don't even acknoledge me.

Maybe because I live in LA area and Zs are dime a dozen. Just on the way home today, I saw 3 Zs. One exactly like mine (CS roadster). Maybe the owners are just mad that their Z is not as exclusive as it should be.

Tonite one of them gave me a look like "Yes? Should I be happy to see you?" kinda look.

How do the other Z owners react to you?

I've only met a couple. I am so happy when I'm driving my Z, I almost jump out of my seat when I see another one. They are still rather rare in Minnesota, but seeing more of them now that the weather is warmer. I do see a lot of G35s though.

In one encounter a young guy in a coupe pratically jumped out of HIS seat when he saw my roadster. Very friendly exchange.

In another I was coming up in the opposite direction on a bright blue coupe. I didn't see the driver. When we passed I made a hello wave. The driver was a drop dead gorgeous woman who was clearly unimpressed with my goofy "I'm driving my Z" smile. Felt really stupid for about 10 seconds then laughed it off.

BTW: When you see this gray haired guy, you'll definitely get a wave from me.

Quick Reply: Z owners you meet friendly?