Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Engine Soon" light on after stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Ant350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service Engine Soon" light on after stereo install

Hi all.....I just got my stereo installed....and now on my dash the "service engine soon" light is on....

Being a newbie on car audio...I called the installer and he said that is normal after you disconnect the battery....he said just bring the car to my dealer and tell them the light went on..and they would 'reset' it.....he said just don't tell them that you had any work on the car.

Sorry for the stupid questions..but
Is this normal...?
Do I have to take the car to the dealer?
Can I do it/'reset' it myself?

Thanks all....
Old 05-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Infern0

Normal after you disconnect the battery? Ummm no...at least I've NEVER experienced it from just disconnecting the battery on ANY car that I've ever been around.

If you've got a cool dealer, drive it up there and they'll do it real quick on the spot for free (like mine), if not, go to Autozone or a car shop like that and they'll do it for free. Just to find out what the code is. If they messed something up, like crossed a wire (which is my bet) then you'll have something to call them on, then I'd make them go over there wires again.

If, for some odd reason that it came on because of the battery, the computer will try and reset itself to fix the problem, so about after the 3rd or 4th time driving it, with about 30 minutes in between starts...it should go away itself.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:14 AM
dwg

Default Re: "Service Engine Soon" light on after stereo install

It has happend to me every time i disconnected the battery for more than 10 minutes... The light will shut off after a couple days..
Nothing to worry about..

Originally posted by Ant350
Hi all.....I just got my stereo installed....and now on my dash the "service engine soon" light is on....

Being a newbie on car audio...I called the installer and he said that is normal after you disconnect the battery....he said just bring the car to my dealer and tell them the light went on..and they would 'reset' it.....he said just don't tell them that you had any work on the car.

Sorry for the stupid questions..but
Is this normal...?
Do I have to take the car to the dealer?
Can I do it/'reset' it myself?

Thanks all....

Last edited by dwg; 05-28-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Ant350

Default THANKS

Thanks for the speedy responses all!!

Ant
Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 AM
wadd3456

if you disconnected the little white box the A/C runs controlls attach to, then that is why it did that. After about 10 starts it will reset.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 AM
FairladyZ

It is becuase they disconnected the three guages in the middle of the dash without first disconnecting the negative battery terminal. The dealer will read the code and they will know you had the stereo installed. They should delete the code for free one time only.

On my second Z the light didnt come on because I asked them to first disconnect the negative battery terminal. That worked.

Also when that light comes on it throws numerous codes, and I was told that it may affect performance untill the light is reset. A little loss of power becaues your timing is retarded.