Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

"Dirty socks" smell from vents. Is there a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
overlord tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Dirty socks" smell from vents. Is there a fix?

(Yes...problem #2!)

I noticed today both times when I got into the Z after it was parked for a while that when I got into it, it smelled like dirty socks or something moldy instead of the wonderful 'new car' smell. Then when I kicked on the A/C, I got a good blast of the nastiness right in the face.

I did use the A/C off and on before parking the car, and I almost always use the 'fresh air' setting instead of the 'recirculate' setting on 75 degrees.

Now the car is only 3 weeks old and I never noticed the smell before today. It was quite hot out earlier (95+) and I just washed the car 2 days ago. My old Z seemed to have this problem right after I washed it, but that car was 10+ years old.

Again, I seen other posts about the problem but no one ever mentioned a real fix besides "leave it on vent for 5 minutes before you park". Being that it will be soon over 100 degrees, that really isn't an option without roasting. Is there a REAL fix for this? (Besides, can't have the ladies smell that now can we? )

Last edited by overlord tom; 06-04-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
samw1978

I have the same problem... I just bought some vent spray but it doesn't really fix the problem, the smell will come back after a while...
not sure what's causing this
Old 06-04-2004, 10:17 PM
nokidz

Same problem here
Old 06-04-2004, 10:57 PM
KrazY-2K

no problems here... hmmm.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:10 PM
04_silverstone

thats sounds really weird!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:54 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Humm - This boy Stinks

Originally posted by 04_silverstone
thats sounds really weird!
Humm

I Guess this boy just stinks.. and he doesn't use fabrees..

He probably otto use perfume or take a bath on some Saturday's

Turn the Air Recerculate off.. And Don't use Auto... on The Air Conditioner..

Ha!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:43 AM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man overlord tom, you must regret getting the z, huh? the cd player and now your a/c....

i had that smell from my vents, i used "odor gun" by medo. supposedly, it doesnt mask the odors, it eliminates it... i sprayed quite a bit into the vents and left it overnight. the next morning, i ran it and initially had the spray smell, but the smell was mostly gone by the end of my trip. it has been about a week now, and still smells fine. if the smell ever comes back again, i will just use more spray.

i was going to use febreeze, but that seems to be for fabric only.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:57 AM
FairladyZ

Change your socks.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:21 AM
andyisphat2004

When you open the door, look at the vents that go from the side of the dash to the vent in the door. If you are looking at the side of the dash, you will see the vent with a guard covering it (it has the "Z" on it. If you pull this it will pop out. Then you can take an air freshner and tie it to this (on the inside). It is not noticible at all, and doesnt get in the way at all. Then everytime you turn on the vents you will get a hit of your air freshner. I use like the designer Norsk or something like that, they make imitation drakar, coolwater, eternity, etc. These freshners smell really good, i cant stand the pine tree ones, they make me sick.

andy
Old 06-05-2004, 09:59 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

I have been and continue to be TOTALLY DISSAPOINTED and PISSED in the fact that the Z does NOT have a focking in-cabin micro-filter! And guess what.......... Damn near every other model Nissan makes has one, including the Sentra and Xterra.
2 products you can try:
Fridg-e-fresh & Ozium. The both work very well. Open your hood, crank your A/C on high (open-vent) and spray directly into the A/C intake vent near the windshield. Then hit re-circulate and let that run for @ 2-3 min. Best I can suggest.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:39 AM
mofoz

i believe Sharper Image Has a cabin air freshner that plugs into the car lighter. My car is still pretty new, so i havent had any problems though.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
xryanx

I had this same problem with a Nissan Frontier that I owned. I took it to the dealer and they fixed the problem. The dealer said the smell was from leaving the recycle air button on, on the air conditioner, the dealer said that when you leave the recycle button on, it causes water to stay in the air conditioner, causing a moldy smell after a long period of time.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Pusha_Z

What up Tom, I was listening to a radio show today that deals with cars (completely biased, and is on General Motors nuts) and he recommended using BG products A/C spray. He said you basically spray this stuff on the inside of your intake and it will get rid of the sweatsock moldy smell.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:39 PM
elyliu

i thought we have the air filter stuff.....
Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 PM
dczoner

elyliu - I have to ask about your sig - what sort of girl doesn't know what a license plate frame is?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Marksf1

Originally posted by dczoner
elyliu - I have to ask about your sig - what sort of girl doesn't know what a license plate frame is?
I think what he was saying is that he has a stock Z but his gf bought him a frame with NISMO on it but she did not know what NISMO means.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
pimp1911

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
I have been and continue to be TOTALLY DISSAPOINTED and PISSED in the fact that the Z does NOT have a focking in-cabin micro-filter! And guess what.......... Damn near every other model Nissan makes has one, including the Sentra and Xterra.
2 products you can try:
Fridg-e-fresh & Ozium. The both work very well. Open your hood, crank your A/C on high (open-vent) and spray directly into the A/C intake vent near the windshield. Then hit re-circulate and let that run for @ 2-3 min. Best I can suggest.
Thank you for posting that. I was at dealership talking crap to the service rep about this. The funny thing though is with the 15,000 mile check up. I think it says that the in cabin filter is to be changed. And there isnt one.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:13 PM
overlord tom

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
I agree completely. How much does it really cost to add a filter to the air intake? Sheesh. Then Nissan adds changing that filter into the price of maintenance . If you don't have one, they still charge you for it.

Originally posted by Pusha_Z
What up Tom, I was listening to a radio show today that deals with cars (completely biased, and is on General Motors nuts) and he recommended using BG products A/C spray. He said you basically spray this stuff on the inside of your intake and it will get rid of the sweatsock moldy smell.
I'll look for it. The way I fixed this on my last Z was to lysol the crap out of the intake with the fan on high. Bad part was that the car reeked of lysol for about 2 days after. It did work in getting rid of the smell for a few months at a time.

Originally posted by ragtopz
man overlord tom, you must regret getting the z, huh? the cd player and now your a/c....
Not at all. These are nit picky things. I'm just like that. Annoyed, yes. Upset over my purchase, no. The car in every other way is great so far.

Last edited by overlord tom; 06-05-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:10 PM
pimp1911

When I had my 15,000 mile check up. I told them I wasnt going to pay for the quote "change in cab filter" and "change air filter" maintenace( I have Injen CAI). The took both of them out of the maintenace fee for me. So for those approaching 15,000 miles be on the look out for Nissan trying to make a extra few dollars.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:22 PM
superstuddc27

mmm.. i used to get that smell in my other cars. well im not sure if it's the exact smell but it was like a moldy like musty smell... well it was one of those car ports (not private garages), where i parked my car and im pretty sure it was the cat taking a **** on the car. usually when it's cold out, we had like the stray cats come on top of the car cause it's warm and then next morning it's like "Wth?" ... it smells like urine.

Quick Reply: "Dirty socks" smell from vents. Is there a fix?