Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

what should i get? Z or ZR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:21 AM
pimp1911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on doing some serious tracking get the Z.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by djkern
just go to "webasto" and have them put a sunroof in the z!
How much ?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:27 AM
elyliu

the roof mechanism doesnt look as cool as mercedes and ferraris, but I am comparing apples w/ oranges...

ZR's looks similar to what A4 cabriolets have now...

mb034729 is right. If you definitely want the open air feeling, ZR is the only way to go regardless how it looks.

I wanted the open air feeling, so i skipped the coupe and G35 all together. The decision was simple.

I do agree comparing ZR w/ top up and Z coupe, the coupe looks better. But I think ZR looks better top down.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:38 AM
nexstage350

dammn all this great info from you is a big help. it still leaves me wit that i dunno feeling. in houston it rains at least 1-3 times a week. for right now i am still leaning on the zr, but then again the G35 or the coupe u can get a better deal. thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:12 PM
elyliu

also i believe the ZR has more headroom that the G35 and Z coupe i believe....

on the flip side, it has less trunk room....
Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
samw1978

Depends on what you want from the car, I wanted performance only cause I track my car, thus I went for the track Z, if you want a great looking car to cruise around, get the roadster
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 PM
mb034729

Originally posted by nexstage350
dammn all this great info from you is a big help. it still leaves me wit that i dunno feeling. in houston it rains at least 1-3 times a week. for right now i am still leaning on the zr, but then again the G35 or the coupe u can get a better deal. thanks for the info guys.
Bro a lil' rain never hurt nobody! from what you're saying you'd still have 4-6 days of top down glory

By the way I do agree that if you are planning on doing a substantial amount time on the track the Z is the better choice but if you're anything like me and only bring it to the track only a handful of times per year than the ZR has more than enough performance to handle that and look good while you're at it
as far as the top mechanism not being as cool as a ferrai's yeah... like you said... apples and oranges. tell you what though when you drop it at a stop like everyone breaks their necks checkin it out!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:49 PM
mb034729

sorry i meant stop light
Old 06-10-2004, 09:09 PM
bascelik

Erm, in Houston it also looks REAL nice in Spring and Fall. And occasional rain isn't gonna affect that. Remember, we got like several weeks in a row of beautiful weather, while rest of the country (up North) was 'enjoying' those huge storms.

Besides, anyhow, here's my formula:

Coupe -- lighter, buy if you like faster and plan to be stock, if you wanna travel for 2 weeks in a row to Florida, with luggage for 2 people (more luggage space). Shifter: AT or MT, both will do.

Roadster -- buy if you want a cruiser, like the open air feeling, don't care about extra weight (coz you're gonna mod it, or simply don't care for speed), don't care for lack of luggage space (will not travel to vacation spots with it). Shifter: AT preferred (cruiser, remember?).

Tha above is my formula. Everyone's got their own. I got a Coupe in the end.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:00 AM
nexstage350

bascelik thanks for your response. i get ur formula on the Z and the ZR. what i do know is that i plan mod either way i go. taking to the track i might one day. still have any eye out for the ZR.

question? how reliable is the ZR top and cover? have u heard of any defects?

i just figure that if i am gonna spend da money it better be worth it. ya feel me? but hey i do appreciate everyones opinions. thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 10:02 AM
elyliu

I think some early production roadster had some fitment problems where the top cover would rub a little with the body causing paint chips.

Another early production seem to be some rubbing of the top while opening and closing causing little pin holes.

Both of these problems seem to have been corrected. my 12/03 ZR doesnt have either of those problems

Another note about the ZR black tops are that it's actually not BLACK. It's more dark greyish. It's not really a problem though.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
vze4fhpv

I've got the ZR and anyone that says it's anything but the sexiest car out for the money just has bad taste. The top operates flawless, wind protection is great, and sound is fantastic.

Mostly everyone I talk to loves the drop top, coupes are starting to be seen as a dime a dozen car. By the way the car is not slower... lol, who said that? If anything I believe it has taller rear gears for the added weight, making it just as fast.

Everyone has an opinion, go with what you want. Your right too, girls love it.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:43 PM
elyliu

I second Lookin4myz that the wind protection is good compared to other convertables. I can still have a conversation going 80mph top down.

And many people have reported the ZR and coupe is about the same in terms of acceleration. Probably due to the different gearing in the ZR.

In high speeds, ZR might be a bit slower due to higher drag. And also lacking a solid roof, the handling is a bit softer than the coupe.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:29 AM
ZRA

Hi Next stage,
I've owned four ragtops on various cars in my life, from -20 degrees to 114 degrees. Rain squalls, blizzards etc. It's just a
different ball game from a coupe to Conv. It depends on your life style. I'll be ordering my 2005 Z in a few months (coupe). There are quite a few roadster owners that love their cars, and coupe lovers also. I would pick the one that makes me happy, and makes my day! Enjoy. ZRA.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:56 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by ZRA
Hi Next stage,
I've owned four ragtops on various cars in my life, from -20 degrees to 114 degrees. Rain squalls, blizzards etc. It's just a
different ball game from a coupe to Conv. It depends on your life style. I'll be ordering my 2005 Z in a few months (coupe). There are quite a few roadster owners that love their cars, and coupe lovers also. I would pick the one that makes me happy, and makes my day! Enjoy. ZRA.

you are right bout that! no matter what they both are a win win situtation.. i do thank you 4 da advise. a buddy of mine has the coupe and he is lovin it. so i am leanin on the ZR.. oh well ima get my **** like next month or the following month. what model do u have? thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 08:01 AM
nexstage350

thanks ZRA/elyliu/ lookin4myZ/bascelik for all of your respone. i prett much gonna end up with the covertable, unless i get a crackhead deal on coupe that i can't refuse. what all kind of mods have u done to ur ride so far? thanks!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:08 AM
elyliu

I have a touring with all the options...

The reason I got all the options is I want to keep my car stock. A lot of times aftermarket equipment are better and cheaper, but as I learned from modding my last car, nuthin beats stock as far as how the equipment works with the rest of the car (unless you have A LOT of money.)

Also, I wanted to give myself less reasons to get a new car down the line. My last car I saved $2000 and skimped on the sunroof and leather. NOT WORTH IT.

What you get is really up to you and what you want. To me I wanted the leather, and the nav. (I get lost too often).

Actually contrary to my sig, I do have ONE mod. Clear bra. My advise, get it asap. I had my car for a month and a half before I put it on (but I did put on 4k miles in that time). It already had a couple paint chips on the bumper.

o and regarding getting a crackhead deal on the coupe.....think it over and not let the price cloud your mind. Are you gonna regret it later on? Is a couple thousand worth not getting what you want?

hope this helps....
Old 06-15-2004, 11:30 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by elyliu
I have a touring with all the options...

The reason I got all the options is I want to keep my car stock. A lot of times aftermarket equipment are better and cheaper, but as I learned from modding my last car, nuthin beats stock as far as how the equipment works with the rest of the car (unless you have A LOT of money.)

Also, I wanted to give myself less reasons to get a new car down the line. My last car I saved $2000 and skimped on the sunroof and leather. NOT WORTH IT.

What you get is really up to you and what you want. To me I wanted the leather, and the nav. (I get lost too often).

Actually contrary to my sig, I do have ONE mod. Clear bra. My advise, get it asap. I had my car for a month and a half before I put it on (but I did put on 4k miles in that time). It already had a couple paint chips on the bumper.

o and regarding getting a crackhead deal on the coupe.....think it over and not let the price cloud your mind. Are you gonna regret it later on? Is a couple thousand worth not getting what you want?

hope this helps....
thanks for the info. im really leannin on the ZR anyways. i also love the coupe. either way i just have to break it down when i go the dealship.

how often do u put ur top up and down? just something tells me if i get the ZR ima use it all the time and u over a period of time it becomes wear and tear. where can u get the clear bra? or what is thier website so i can purchase it when my time comes. thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 06:29 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of the main questions the people are asking is if you're going to track it. If you're not going to track it, you really don't care if you do a 14.0 or 14.3 quarter mile. The car still feels quick in the ZR, so don't sweat that.

The real question comes down to are you a convertible type person or not? Unless you've owned one before, it's a hard call to make. The ZR has one of the quietest cabs designed today, but it's still noisy, top up or top down. If you hate wind noise, the ZR's not for you. The ZR take a little more discipline as well. The interior gets dirtier and requires a bit more care. You can't leave things laying on the seats of the car either. Every time I get out of the car, I have to unhook my V1 and put it in the trunk. It's a PIA, but I'm used to it. You also have less trunk space in the ZR.

This is my 3rd convertible in the last 8 years. For two of those years I didn't have a drop top and I hated every second of driving during that time. I can't see ever living without one.

Good luck to you and enjoy whatever it is you end up with.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:07 PM
elyliu

top down 80% of the time (only when it's raining or looks like it's gonna rain, and when the gf is cold do i put it up). so up and down at least twice a day.

you can go to www.xpel.com to find some clear bra installers. That's where I found mine...

It doesnt get too dirty too fast for me. Maybe because I have black interior?