Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are we DOOMED without DOOR molding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 10:11 AM
leelinch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are we DOOMED without DOOR molding???

I believe one option that is NOT available (but should be) is the option for molding that would run the length of the doors. The closest thing Nissan offers are color-matched "door edge guards". All this will do is protect us from dinging someone else's car. How are we to protect our car? Ive also noticed that about 80% of cars/trucks on the road today have this molding... from BMW's to Vette's. If done right, the molding is typically either not noticeable or actually can enhance the appearance.

I also find it rather amusing that many people on here swear by the value of the splash guards (because they will protect the paint...etc) yet no one mentions the vulnerable doors. Sure we can park out in the boonies, but we cant control who parks next to us. IMO, this car will be a door and grocery cart magnet.

Anyone else agree/disagree or have any solutions?

Thanks!

ps. Please vote in my "Nov Elections" poll over in the poll section.

Last edited by leelinch; 10-09-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:22 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the need for door edge gaurds, unless you like to door ding people's car.. eheheh.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:50 AM
WashUJon

My Integra has numerous door dings from jackasses who don't give a damn. Most of the dings are way north of the moulding and I suspect they are caused by SUV doors. I don't think there's anything that can protect against that unless the whole car is 3M'd. I just try to park as far away as I can or find a spot on a corner or such where I can leave plenty of space next to the car. Interestingly, my 3000GT had ONE door ding in its lifetime even with the same parking practices. Maybe the more conspicuous the car, the more careful people are when they open their doors. I don't know...
Old 10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
350zSpeedRacer

You shutting your own door isn't going to be the problem. It's all those jackasses out there that really don't care, or even think it's funny when someone else's car gets molested.

When I had finally finished restoring my old vette, I parked it far off from other cars and STILL some mother F'er keyed a 3 foot long mark right down to the primer. People can be such jerks.

I hope nothing like that happens to you, but I'm just saying watch out.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:57 AM
dc350z

Cool This is simple

Park it at the end of the lot. The extra walk to the mall will be worth it.

Besides, it feels so good walking up on the car from a distance, watching it with nothing else around.

Track
Chrome Silver
S03's
Old 10-09-2002, 11:10 AM
roberto350z

have you seen old 300zx's..they are all riddled w/dings.

But I agree, park far and on the end. Suv ******* mother f*ckers cant help but let their doors get out of control.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:02 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
You shutting your own door isn't going to be the problem. It's all those jackasses out there that really don't care, or even think it's funny when someone else's car gets molested.

When I had finally finished restoring my old vette, I parked it far off from other cars and STILL some mother F'er keyed a 3 foot long mark right down to the primer. People can be such jerks.

I hope nothing like that happens to you, but I'm just saying watch out.
S@# like this is why I've been working on a way to remotely electrify my car.

::bleep bleep:: ::zap::
Old 10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
vanstorm16

Sometimes parking out in a remote area of the lot is the exact reason some of these stupid-a$$ punks key the cars. So, I guess the risk is a trade-off.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:20 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by WashUJon
S@# like this is why I've been working on a way to remotely electrify my car.

::bleep bleep:: ::zap::
If you figure one out, let me know!!! That sh%t has happened to me too many damn times!!! It's so bad that I'm on a first name basis with the guy who does my paint work for me.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Kurt

I saw this link on www.courtesyparts.com that looks like they are coming someday...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ode=350Z-EDGRD
Old 10-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Boomer

Default Door

I was surprised to see none of the Zs had a strip down the doors to cut down on dings. When I looked at vettes, they didn't have them either. Wonder why? It was always a money item for dealers to add them to every car.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:34 PM
zPilott

Originally posted by Kurt
I saw this link on www.courtesyparts.com that looks like they are coming someday...

I am pretty sure that those just protect the rear edge of the door, which means only if YOU hit someone else. I have a real tight parkign space at home, and was thinking about something like this, but thw walls are just drywall, nothign to really worry about.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Todd

Originally posted by Kurt

I don't think anyone is sure what this is. I originally though rubber guards for the edge of the Z's doors, but I'm not sure. I am hoping it is molding for the sides of the car to prevent door dings. I have been very interested in this all along. Jerks have beat the hell out of my Acura.

Hey PartsPeddler, do you have any info on this yet?
Old 10-09-2002, 02:46 PM
DIGItonium

You can encounter crap while driving.

One time this dumb@ss gurl threw a big cup of drink out of the window to the left lane i was on..... and i friggin dodged it after the cup landed and splattered ice all on the road.

And then you got people who throw trash and cigarette butts out of the window, and spitting.

And then you got got people who do stoopid stunts and hate because we got a "nice" car.... risk of them damaging the car and taking off.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Boomer

Default Doormolding

Originally posted by Todd
I don't think anyone is sure what this is. I originally though rubber guards for the edge of the Z's doors, but I'm not sure. I am hoping it is molding for the sides of the car to prevent door dings. I have been very interested in this all along. Jerks have beat the hell out of my Acura.

Hey PartsPeddler, do you have any info on this yet?
Molding was what I was referring to earlier, I've never had a car without it to prevent dings on the doors. All I want is a small 3/8" molding, very unobtrusive, to fit on the crease in the doors, body color. Why wasn't it an option at purchase?
Old 10-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Intrepid

This company sells molding for cars:

http://www.sportwing.com/moldings2/m...id+Car+Molding
Old 10-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Boomer

Default Door molding

Originally posted by Intrepid
This company sells molding for cars:

http://www.sportwing.com/moldings2/m...id+Car+Molding
Thanks for the tip, but I'm SOL with a Brickyard. Other colors for many of our Zs, not mine. I wonder if it can be painted. I just checked out their website. This company may be our best bet because they say they paint factory colors. They have a form to fill in with all the relevant data, size, pieces, etc. The narrowest molding is 1".

Thanks again, Intrepid.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-09-2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Todd

Default Re: Doormolding

Originally posted by Boomer
Molding was what I was referring to earlier, I've never had a car without it to prevent dings on the doors. All I want is a small 3/8" molding, very unobtrusive, to fit on the crease in the doors, body color. Why wasn't it an option at purchase?
That's what I want too. Trouble is on a lot of the cars out there, the molding doesn't stick out far enough to do any good.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:25 PM
spikez513

What we need is bumpers like the ones they have in bumper bowling..That would be the best solution... I'm extremely inebriated right now.. I"m going to puke and then pass out.. gnite everybody.......