Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just wanting some advices from the experts around

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:25 PM
gunbbang121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanting some advices from the experts around

350z... it sure rings a nice sounds to my ears... whenever i would hear it roaring down the streets, i would just stare at it until it is out of sight and then close my eyes, picturing myself in that car.

I guess 350z is my dream car... and even though i still have a long way to get it, i will definitely own it someday. I am 18 years old, currently living in new york... currently driving my parents toyota hylander around. Im slowly saving up for a car now. (of course 350z) it may take awhile, but i am determined to get it. I am an enlistee in the navy, and probably will be stationed in San Diego, California. Oh and i will be working on Land, so don't worry about me staying out in the sea 24/7.

I just wanted some good advices, from the experts and experiences around on what i should really look for when purchasing a used or a new 350z. I may be young and rushing into things, but i would like to be independant, responsible and get a head start on things and become more knowledgeable knowing exactly what to say and when the day comes, when i purchase the 350z.

Sorry but i do not know much about cars, but am always willing to learn! I guess this is where i first start. So i would be very much grateful if someone out there can advise me on 350z, or just on life

Hope you all have a safe and wonderful week.

-Dave

Last edited by gunbbang121; 06-24-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 PM
elyliu

hope you are not closing you eyes and imagining things WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING!

i feel you... I once regarded the Z as a dream car I could never get. Even after 3 monthes of owning the car, I sometimes still can't believe I own this amazing car.

if you are looking for used, try to stay away from the 03 Zs. Preferrably 04.5 on. Some of the earlier Zs had a lot of problems.

anything you want to know about the car in perticular?

if you just surf this forum often, you'll learn a lot about the Z. Many members of this site are also like you (future Z owners).

good luck...
Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 PM
gunbbang121

thx alot =) i guess i probably willbe purchasing a used one. what is a decent mileage and price range i should look for in a 350z year 04.5?
im not trying to get the best of the best, but i guess an enthusiast will be perfect.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 AM
WayneTN

Default Go Navy!

Hey, Dave. Welcome to the Navy; I was in both the Air Force and the SeaBees a while back.

I know you really want a dream car quickly, especially the Z, but you probably don't have a lot of money right now (if you're like I was at 18). Here's what I recommend and what I believe will be the smart thing to do in the long run.

Get yourself a good, reliable used car of some type, one that you will still like to drive and one that will not cost you an arm and a leg in insurance costs. That way, as you begin your Naval service and get started in San D., you will be able to save up a good down payment for a better car. With a good down payment, a better feel for Navy life, and a better understanding of car ownership, you will be in a position to move up to a better car. Remember, the cost of a car is not just the car payments, but also the cost of gas, maintenance, and insurance. Unfortunately, total costs can run quite high for guys under 25, especially if you ever have a ticket or an accident. You don't want to work for the Navy just to take almost your whole check and make car payments and insurance payments and then have no other life because you have no money left for the rest of the month. Don't back yourself into a big financial corner (with high car payments or high credit card payments) that you will regret later. Plan ahead, make out a realistic budget, and I'm sure you will do what's best.

Thanks for asking for the input of others. Maybe the above is not what you wanted to hear and I know that, but hopefully you've read this far. I've been on both sides of the financial situation: (1) living paycheck-to-paycheck and (2) having some extra money each month. Believe me, number (2) is far better! Plan for the future and you will get there one day - without financing the future of bankers and insurance salesmen!

Anyway, just my $0.02. Good luck in the Navy! I salute you. Make us proud.
Wayne
Old 06-25-2004, 11:14 AM
elyliu

gettin a 04.5 Z in a year or 2 will be the value....
Old 06-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Phatmitzu

Congrats on making your first step of owning your new Z...joining this forum.

Seriously, this forum is by far the best resource if you are into Zs. I was in your shoes back in ’02 when the Z was first introduced(damn, I’ve been here for too long). The more I learned about the Z, the more determine that it was going to be my next car(was driving a 96 GS-T). You may not necessary find all good things about the Zs in here, but you sure will know the car inside out before you walk into that dealer. 2 years since I joined, I finally have saved up enough money, sold my eclipse, and decided to get myself into one; with 2 years of knowledge of it. Picked up my new Z 4 months ago this year. Let me tell you, the 2 years of hard work is most definitely worth it. I’m sure you will feel the same after you get yours.

Good luck! And thank you for protecting our country.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:19 PM
gunbbang121

haha thank you very much. i guess the thanks go to WayneTN also =)
i joined this forum yesterday, and i seem to be absorbed in it. everyone here seems to be passionate about the Z and take great pride. i will definitely be here reading up posts and studying them daily. i just wanted to thank you and WayneTN for giving me advices.

and let me say.... 350z is one hell of a sexy car
Old 06-25-2004, 12:59 PM
gunbbang121

im reading up alot of the posts, trying to study the car... and im having a difficult time because i don't understand most of the parts and some terminology. can anyone recommend me a site where i can learn about them?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:20 PM
elyliu

lotsa auto knowledge here...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

or you can just ask ....

also, this thread is a GREAT place to start....
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=50429
Old 06-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by gunbbang121
im reading up alot of the posts, trying to study the car... and im having a difficult time because i don't understand most of the parts and some terminology. can anyone recommend me a site where i can learn about them?
Yup, like elyliu said. Howstuffworks.com is great for some technical stuff. If you can find an answer to a question, use the "Forum Search" function on top right hand corner. Most likely someone has already asked that question before. If not...then post it! Let the forum help you out. We have many auto freaks in here that knows a lot about cars...some may even know more than your local technicians.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 PM
overlord tom

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
We have many auto freaks in here that know a lot about cars...some may even know more than your local technicians.

That is an understatement after dealing with the "best" techs Nissan has to offer. I just hope my car doesn't break in the next 5 years. Too bad there isn't a shop here in L.A. that specializes in Z cars and modding/fixing them properly.

gunbbang121, stick around here and you'll know more than you ever want to about the Z. Good luck in your goal. It's a great car even with it's minor quirks. I think very few here are sorry they took the plunge.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:19 AM
ZRA

Hi gunbbang121,

There's a wealth of information on this forum. I believe Wayne
has put everything in a nut shell for you. Take their advise and you won't go wrong! I've owned about fifteen cars in my life,
and started from the bottom. Do your homework and take it slow.
Good luck in the service. ZRA.

Last edited by ZRA; 06-26-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:48 AM
zzzya

Welcome!!

This site does have a lot of great information, but on the other hand it will also suck you in and soon you will be addicted wanting more and more. You don't have the car yet, but if you start looking at wheels, engine modifications, stereo modifications and so on, you will be doomed. I would stick to the general forums and the repair forums and try not to temp yourself with the other goodies. There are many here that have close to and over the amount the actual car can be purchased for in modifications. Like many others have already said, focus on what it will take to be financially set to get the car and try not to focus too much on the car or you may end up making a bad decision. The repair forum is a great place to see what problems people have been having and what to look for in a used Z.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:09 AM
EnthusiastZ

gunbbang121...

I noticed you mentioned that you are a NEW? Navy enlistee. Not sure what your rank is but if you are below the E-6 pay grade I would not suggest a 26K+ car as your first purchase. As an Army Aviation Officer in a Command position I have dealt with young soldiers plumitting into debt over high price purchases that they cannot afford. Food for thought...living paycheck to paycheck just adds unnecessary stress to an already high stress related job. I would highly suggest a more practical vehicle in your situation.