Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My camera mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My camera mount

I finally got some pictures of my camera mount. All parts are from Home Depot and worth $15 or so... Main parts are aluminum tube (arc) and aluminum bar (where camera attaches). It's all covered with black vynil tube, but can be just painted or left aluminum looking.

Of course, you can't take a passenger with that mount, but I use it strictly for racing and it works wery good.

Last edited by Vlad; 07-21-2004 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:10 AM
ivanito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hows the vibration???

can you post vids doing some runs???

i too need one of this

tnx
Old 07-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Vlad

Vibration isn't bad at all. I guess seat is little flexible and absorbs it. I can't post video, since I don't have spase to host it or resources to send it. But it's a thrilling videos I'v noticed people tilting heads when watching my autox tapes
Old 07-21-2004, 07:10 AM
ivanito

lol nice
Old 07-21-2004, 05:08 PM
nicolaycastro

Please post matetials bought to be able to make the mount!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:47 PM
longbowe

Or outsource manufacturing and make some $$. After all, aren't headrest mounts pretty much spaced the same in most cars?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:42 AM
LBSOHK

very nice Vlad... how about another step by step write up for us , doesnt the camera add some weight ?
Old 07-22-2004, 06:40 AM
cedusett

Add weight? No way, that thing puts out 20hp at least.

Someone else did a camera mount that was basically a bar that went across the two seats with holes in it where the headrest mounts went through it. The actual camera was mounted to this bar. I've seen some vid's from it, and it's pretty good, plus then you don't have to get rid of the passenger headrest either.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:29 PM
GoZpeedRacerGo

Old 07-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Th3Cleaner

I took a different approach, I pulled the passenger sun visor vertical and straight back, I then mounted the video cam on it, the smaller the video cam the better... but I ran the wires back through the clothes hanger, I purchased a long 20' 1/8 jack cable for the audio, I bought a clip on mic and ran it back through the trunk and outside the car... It work great untill the wind became overbaring.

I need to adjust where the mic get placed, just need to play with it for awhile, maybe clip it on the license plate, or even inside the car in the spare tire area...

We then went out a motorcycle and I and played on the twisties, Have you heard wind from 90MPH to 153MPH in just a few seconds from a small mic?, sounds like a jet engine spooling.

Anyway more on this later, I do have the video just need to edit t for web use.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by LBSOHK
very nice Vlad... how about another step by step write up for us , doesnt the camera add some weight ?
Sh*t!!! I didn't think about that... Let's see... mount is all aluminum... and I'll remove strap and rubber eye caution from camcorder, so it'll be lighter!

Actually, it's my old camcorder on the pic. My new on is much smaller and lighter.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:02 AM
Vlad

Actually, I outsmarted myself with this mount... After all was done I realized that it can be improoved to 90% less work and half the cost...

Here is quick and dirty photoshop of optimal design.

There is not really much to write up about it, as you can see... You just get 1/2" aluminum tube from Home Depot and bend it in U shape. Bend nice and even is actually the hardest part of all job. they have some special devices at HD, but none actully fit 1/2" with small radius of curve... You'll have to figure out it yourslef. So buy two tubes, since most probably you'll waste the first one.

Than you need a bolt. I got it in "special bolts and pieces" department. it's that kind where you insert a hex shaped key inside of the head to tighten it. Have no idea how it's called in english...

Than you drill one big whole on the bottom, and one small in the top of U piece... Than you get a piece of black vinul tube from piping etc department which fits very tight around 1/2" tube. And pull it on part that not goes inside of the seat. It's necessary for tight grip with camcorder, because otherwise you'll have to screw camera to a bare metal, and it won't be nice and can rattle. Also if you cut a very small top hall in vinyl, it'll hold bolt in place when camera isn't there. Soften vinyl in hot voter to make pulling on aluminum easier.

pieces of tube that goes insde seat are 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 " long. They are not even to make inserting easier and they cut at angle again to make inserting easier.

If you guys can't do that simpliest of all mount yourself... than I can do it for you for 50 backs... I wonder if somebody that lazy...
Old 07-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Leh GSC

heres a pic i took of a cool camera mount on a 350z.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Dissident

I'll post some pics later of a few mounts. I found filming with the camera was too shaky, but bullet cams are cheap Can anyone host video? I've got some nice vid I took....
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 AM
LBSOHK

Originally posted by Leh GSC
heres a pic i took of a cool camera mount on a 350z.

red X for me..
Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Dissident

ok, check out these pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4287473535

Bumper cam:

Rollbar mount, trunk mount, and fender mount bullet cam.

Bullet cam

Headrest mount.

I've got video from both, and you can see a HUGE difference inthe camcorder (bumpy, narrow FOV), and the ChaseCam bullet cams, which was way more stable and a bigger field of view, but I don't have the bandwidth to host it yet.

They're pretty affordable, and if you're feeling lucky, you can google the page pretty easily...
Old 07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Vlad

I like to view and anylize my videos right away. It's easier to do with camcorder.

And I bet cam video is shaking becuse your mount got a long, vibration-welcoming arm.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Vlad

I was thinking about bullet cam setup to aid rear visibility. Do you guys know anybody who did it? Like screen instead rearview mirror
Old 07-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Dissident

These bullet cams plug right into the camcorders and use them to record. The SEMA show car had a ChaseCam hooked through a screen in the nav location, if I remember correctly, and can be hooked up to use as a rear view camera.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Vlad

How much sush a setup would cost (I don't have a screen at all now). Can that little thing zoom?

Quick Reply: My camera mount