Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Poor Review! (please respond)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 08:34 PM
MikeyDNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Review! (please respond)

This is a partial quote from a post on that other site from someone who passed on his Z:

Unfortunately, however, most all the interior surfaces were hard, which felt cheap and did nothing to dampen road noise (which there was a lot of). The one word that comes to mind regarding the driving experience is "buzzy". I wasn't impressed with the low end power at all. Maybe above 4500 RPM it comes alive, but of course I kept it below that. Shifting and clutch action was nothing more than average. The ride was very rough, which is to be expected, but there was a lot of oscillation from back to front and vice versa, the kind that you might expect from a car with a much shorter wheelbase.

I'm especially interested in the comments about ride quality and noise dampening. The 300zx has some issues in this area and I was hoping the new Z would be an improvement. But, the poster doesn't mention what his comments are relative to, so maybe the car just wasn't as smooth as his lexus or MB.

Last edited by MikeyDNY; 10-15-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:50 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Was this "review" taken from the GM.buick.com site ? If so... now I understand.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:51 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

The ride is great, but it does tend to "pogo" a bit on some surfaces. It kind of jounces to and fro on certain pavement surfaces. It's nothing major, but I understand what the writer is referring to. Road noise can also be a bit high on some surfaces (and dead-quiet on others). There is no wind noise, no engine noise when cruising (good sounds when you put your foot in it though), and widely varying tire/road noise depending on surface.

The ride is a lot less harsh than some other sportcars (e.g. Boxster) in that the bumps don't shake and jar. They are well damped. Personally, I prefer this ride (with the pogo/oscillation thingie on occasion) to one that rattles your bones. And it still corners nice and flat!

Personally, I think this guy is nuts and I can't see what he'll find that's much better overall, but to each his own. My other car is a Mercedes SLK230 and it doesn't have that bouncy thing going on, but then again it doesn't corner as flat either and isn't nearly as much fun to drive.

Also, road noise is HIGHLY dependent on tire selection.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:52 PM
ringwurm

Its a sports car not a luxary sedan. Its suppose to be loud and raw. Either he normally drives a really fast car or he didn't drive it right because the low end power on the Z is awsome. I have never heard a single person say the interior is bad in any way. When they get in my car they go. "wow! this is really cool!".

Everyone always ask how much I paid for the car and when I tell them mid 30's they are always shocked. They think the car looks like a 40-50k car.

If you want a decent priced sports car then buy a Z. If you want a sports car that has all the extra features of a Mercedes then buy a stinkin Mercedes!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:00 PM
ganz

I think that review is from zcar.com... Here is his/her review:

My Z finally came in, so I went to check it out. I was immediately disappointed with the lemans color, much too copper, not enough orange, almost identical to the cheap Chevy color offered on some of their new models. The 17" wheels were beautiful, much nicer than the 18's and didn't look smaller at all. The hatch space was bigger than I expected, probably because I had low expectations for it. The front plate holes (indentations) were huge and very noticeable. I was pleasantly surprised with the look of the interior. I had been particularly concerned that the doors would look like crap with nothing but a big ol' piece of black plastic, but they weren't bad at all. I'm 6'5" and I had no trouble fitting in very comfortably. Unfortunately, however, most all the interior surfaces were hard, which felt cheap and did nothing to dampen road noise (which there was a lot of). The one word that comes to mind regarding the driving experience is "buzzy". I wasn't impressed with the low end power at all. Maybe above 4500 RPM it comes alive, but of course I kept it below that. Shifting and clutch action was nothing more than average. The ride was very rough, which is to be expected, but there was a lot of oscillation from back to front and vice versa, the kind that you might expect from a car with a much shorter wheelbase. It did corner extremely well and definitely went where I pointed it. The 160 watt stereo was nothing special, but certainly not horrible.

All in all, it is a beautiful car. Unfortunately, it is one that I take more pleasure in looking at than owning and driving, so I gave them the green light to sell it to someone else.

These thoughts are obviously nothing more than my own opinion and are presented sort of in the order I learned them upon inspection of the car. I can see that this will be a great car for some, but it wasn't for me at this point in time. Who knows, maybe I'll check out the G35 coupe.

*** End Review ***

IMO, the reviewer was looking for something more luxurious with a softer ride. G35C perhaps? I don't entirely disagree with the reviewer though... The Z is a true sports car but many people are not true drivers. Many just want the style of a sports car with the comfort and amenities of sedans. So I think it is a pretty honest review coming from the average consumer. For 30K, all the goods are in the body and engine. Whoever gets the car is very lucky
Old 10-15-2002, 09:12 PM
MikeyDNY

Originally posted by ringwurm
Its a sports car not a luxary sedan. Its suppose to be loud and raw.
I agree, for the most part. But there is fine line between a car that is firm and planted and one that punishes you for pushing the car hard every time you hit a little bump in the road. And as far as noise is concerned---should a sports car have an intoxicating "rush" sound as it accelerates? Absolutely! Does the engine have to deafeningly loud? No freaking way.

Ever wonder why used s2000's are extremely easy to find even though only 15k units have been produced (through 2k2)? I'm sure the ride and volume levels (esp. in the upper RPMs) dont help. I know of a few owners who really enjoyed the car but sold because the car was too punishing to drive daily.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:53 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say his review is pretty accurate, but with a couple of clarifications.

First, calling the interior hard and cheap feeling is really opinion. I personally like the Z interior much better than most other vehicles, primarily because it is simple and utilitarian. Therefore, I feel it is very important to see it yourself before worrying too much about it.

Second, the ride is bumpy, but in a good way. You definitely notice some porpoising on bumpy roads, but all other bumps are extremely well damped and the car feels extremely solid during encounters with poor pavement. The tight suspension keeps roll to a minimum and really help the driver feel connected to the road. My girlfriend has said that she wouldn't want to drive across the country in it though (although she would be the passenger - I, as the driver, would not want to drive anything ELSE across the country ).

Third, the engine is quiet when cruising, and the exhaust puts out a nice roar when under heavy throttle. Therefore, there should be no worries about engine or exhaust noise since the volume is completely up to the driver and how hard he pushes the car. Road noise, however, is another issue. On rough pavement, it is definitely the most noticeable sound, and can often add vibration to the cabin. I would agree with the description "buzzy" in that instance.

Finally, the engine does have significant torque under 4500 RPM, but even more above 4500. I found the car extremely powerful and fun to drive when I was still in my breakin period, but after really putting my foot down, I find it very difficult to go back to shortshifing.

The Z, while most likely a better daily driver than some other sports cars, is still not for everyone.

-D'oh!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:05 PM
integraowner

Default bouncing

I notice the bouncing affect most when traveling at highway speeds on certain road surfaces.

I guess it's reassuring to hear that others have noticed it to. It's not harsh, but I bounce up and down more than the other car (drivers) around me. Back in my 240Z days I would attribute this to poor dampening - time to replace those strut cartidges! Generally that bouncing would reduce handling, but I do agree in all other conditions (any where I'm not bouncing) the car handles quite well.

What do y'all think?
Old 10-16-2002, 12:23 AM
docfrese

Originally posted by porscheKliier
what the "Fu*K" are these morons talking about..? I mean 350z has one of the most thought out interior ever.. everything is so sleek.. so lean and smooth.. unlike american cars, even in the vette, the steering wheel looks like it's pregnant. The buttons and the controls on the audio and climate, I just don't understand how anyone can live with it..

Japanese cars have the best interior for the price, no doubt..

These people obviously dont know what makes a sports car otherwise they would know these little minor imperfections come "standard" with every sports car just like power steering. Im talking about the suspension in general.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:38 AM
Boomer

Default Poor review

I take exception to the cheap interior remark, I think its very tasteful and attractive, you don't have to have leather on every surface, it just adds weight and ups the price of the car. I would rather have some bounce than float and some of our roads are abominable so road noise is part of a sports cars because Nissan wanted to build a real one, not a GT.

The torque at low revs is excellent, like 200 ftlbs at 1200rpm and stays w/ you till over 6000rpm. He would have to be driving a v8 to feel the Z lacked low end torque, you know, like an Impala or something similar.

I have to agree with his ride discomfort in one area, the tires. I do not like the OE tires at all,I think they detract from the car and some of the Tire Rack surveys of owners are not complimentary about the RE040s. I tried to get mine changed out at the dealer before but the dealer doesn't seem to answer e-mails so I gave up. I now wish I had been more aggressive about the change.

Anyway, I think this guy would probably be happier w/ a Buick Le Sabre based on his critique; or he didn't secure the passenger side seat belt, that does sound buzzy and some noise coming from the rear strut bar may be a source also, to be fair.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:58 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I just want to get my two cents in even though it's already been covered...

They were probably quite a few douche bags who ordered this car having no idea what they were getting into. "Oh, that looks neat. I'm going to get that!" I have NO F**KING SYMPATHY for anyone who orders a sports car and then pisses their pants that it's too "buzzy".

F**k every last one of these people. Let them go and get another floaty POS and leave the Z to someone who really wants it. My Z is my daily driver and I have NOTHING but compliments for its compliance and sure footing during my 50 mile round-trip commute.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:07 AM
nizl

Yeah, I agree with droid. My only complaint is the porpoising across bumpy roads at highway speeds, but this is a side effect of the taut suspension, so there you go.

I really can't understand the interior comments. Apparently these people have never been inside a Corvette. Sure, the Z is no BMW, but I think the interior suits the car well, and is tasteful.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:12 AM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by droidekaus
I just want to get my two cents in even though it's already been covered...

They were probably quite a few douche bags who ordered this car having no idea what they were getting into. "Oh, that looks neat. I'm going to get that!" I have NO F**KING SYMPATHY for anyone who orders a sports car and then pisses their pants that it's too "buzzy".

F**k every last one of these people. Let them go and get another floaty POS and leave the Z to someone who really wants it. My Z is my daily driver and I have NOTHING but compliments for its compliance and sure footing during my 50 mile round-trip commute.

Yeah....What he said.....

Also, let this guy drive a Z06 for year. $20,000 more than a Z(base prices) and it rides like an apple cart. The Z has an awesome suspension.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:23 AM
z461

Because the car porpoises so much I have considered selling my car and purchasing a G35C or IS300... However, in the near future I assume companies will come out with adjustable shocks for the car which will remedy the situation...
Old 10-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Alang

Only thing I can think of that would create a feeling of low torque is the liner nature of the drive-by-wire throttle. I also was dissapointed with the low end grunt of the car when I first drove it, but I didn't jump to any conclusions until I passed the break-in. After break in I discovered just how much pedal travel there is, and you have to really use the go pedel to get lots of oomph. Its very different that most cars where you get 80% throttle with 25% of the pedal action.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 PM
intetsu
Charter Member #74

Yes there is a certain amount of bouncing on some surfaces. I think the track wheels would be a bit more responsive in their ability to stick to the pavement. I haven't ridden in a non-track model yet so I can't compare the two. It really depends on the road surface....if you drive on heavily potholed surfaces it might be a bit tough on you.

HOWEVER,

I am also able to take most corners at high speed with almost no body roll. Those lumbar supports get heavy use. The excellent cornering is worth the rough ride in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:59 PM
rai

If I were that guy I'd check out an LS430. SUPER NICE soft interior, NOT buzzy, etc..

I don't know what kind of transmission he thinks is better. If the shifter is just average. From the reviews I've read the shifter was one of the best around
Old 10-16-2002, 01:07 PM
rai

Originally posted by MikeyDNY
Ever wonder why used s2000's are extremely easy to find even though only 15k units have been produced (through 2k2)? I'm sure the ride and volume levels (esp. in the upper RPMs) dont help. I know of a few owners who really enjoyed the car but sold because the car was too punishing to drive daily.

I think the S2000 is a more EXTREME sports car. I don't mean better, but if the Z is harsh or buzzy the S2000 is even more so. I would not want to have the S2000 as my only car, not very practical.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:18 PM
ZZtopp

The Z is my daily driver, and I find it to be quite comfortable and pleasant....docile when I need it to be and powerful when....you get the idea.

My wife drives an Audi A6 4.2, and the comfort level and ride quality of the Z is only slightly worse than the Audi, which is an exceptional combination of ride and handling. I just wish the Z had an interior as nice as the Audi....guess you can't have everything for $30,000.

Quick Reply: Poor Review! (please respond)