2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

One Major Downside to HP Numbers -- WE'VE LOST ZISME

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 09:30 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Major Downside to HP Numbers -- WE'VE LOST ZISME

Now I kinda wish the official (unofficial) numbers from the press pack had not been published because through the laws of unintended consequences we have lost ZISME. ZISME has not posted ANYTHING since the "official numbers" were posted, and I'm afraid he won't post anything until Nissan releases official numbers. It seems to me that by posting the "official numbers" we have forced ZISME to stay out of the Z chat rooms. Since he has previously confirmed when numbers are wrong, if he posts anything about other topics, his silence regarding the "official numbers" would be confirming those numbers before Nissan has authorized him to do so. But if he just never posts anything, he might just be out of the office for a while like he has been in the past, and while his silence might IMPLY the numbers are correct, by not posting anything his silence does not CONFIRM the numbers are correct. In the words of Watergate and/or Irancontra by not posting anything he has "plausible deniability." Personally, I would have preferred going forward with 280+ HP and having ZISME respond to other questions, than to "know" the HP and have ZISME stop responding to questions. All well, I guess hindsight is 20-20. (BTW, I am going to post this on the zcar.com as well since we know he monitors that site, maybe -- but unlikely -- this will draw a comment from him.)
Old 06-12-2002, 10:07 PM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

July 3rd
Old 06-12-2002, 10:07 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

No later than July 3rd when the magazines can report the numbers, but ZISME said they were going to try to contact the pre-order owners before that.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:20 PM
goofyZ

I don't know how quick zisme has been to deny false numbers. I don't beleive he disputed the 300/5.5 that was going around. I think he has gone out of his way to avoid most hp threads for fear of tipping his hand. (how easy would it be to post many false numbers in order to eleminate them and work towards a working range?)
Old 06-12-2002, 11:13 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

My God, this is getting ridiculous! I can't imagine why NNA could possibly be freaked out by, what, a couple thousand people *might* know the final specs? I'd bet money that not even HALF of the pre-orders have any clue that these sites even exist, much less the rumors about horsepower numbers.

This is not an attack on you, robbyn, rather just my own dislike of the "oh no, somebody got in trouble" posts we've seen in the last few days. This is not a matter of National Defense. It's just specs for a $30K car that most people don't even know exists! NNA needs to get over themselves. It's not like anyone has reverse-engineered the Z and allowed the competition to get a look at the engine internals.

That's just my opinion. Of course, I *could* be wrong.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:41 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by droidekaus
This is not a matter of National Defense. It's just specs for a $30K car that most people don't even know exists! NNA needs to get over themselves. It's not like anyone has reverse-engineered the Z and allowed the competition to get a look at the engine internals.

That's just my opinion. Of course, I *could* be wrong. [/B]
Actually I mostly agree with you. The only point of my post is that ZISME works for a corporation (NNA) that does not want the HP numbers released before July 3rd. ZISME may disagree with NNA, but if he wants to keep his job, he is forced to comply with their instructions. He may have decided the best way to comply with their instructions is to stop posting on any board until July 3rd. And personally (admittedly with 20/20 hindsight) I kinda wish we wouldn't have focused so much on what the HP was going to be because I have always enjoyed ZISME's post. BUT I am not blaming anyone, if someone does a search they will see that I had also joined in the WHAT IS THE HP FRAY. I just wish it hadn't worked out this way (of course I may be all wet, and ZISME is just on vacation, but the fact he responded to internetabyss' email weakens that theory).